Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Central High Level

www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar

your right Liverpool central was once a grand station just like lime street and there is hardly and info or photos of it please feel free to vist my website www.oldliverpoolrailways.tk or just go to

http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ool%20Central/

this page has many rare photos of Liverpool central that people have been kind so share as well as some of my own resent photos of the station hope this helps it will be a shame to see no trance of the station left after the new development for the site starts very soon

an interesting feature is the tunnels at the back that are still there today as you will see from the photos i took i am unsure about the tunnel at the very back that is bricked up where did that go?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oritelad View Post
    your right Liverpool central was once a grand station just like lime street and there is hardly and info or photos of it please feel free to vist my website www.oldliverpoolrailways.tk or just go to

this page has many rare photos of Liverpool central that people have been kind so share as well as some of my own resent photos of the station hope this helps it will be a shame to see no trance of the station left after the new development for the site starts very soon

an interesting feature is the tunnels at the back that are still there today as you will see from the photos i took i am unsure about the tunnel at the very back that is bricked up where did that go?
    Is there two bricked up tunnels?

From toxteth.net..1907. There was a turntable in front of the tunnel. It looks like it was maybe a shunting line, or just and underground shed. It may have been an initial attempt to get Central Stn onto Edge Hill via the Wapping Tunnel and abandoned.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big_toxteth_mapbw_20x2.gif 
Views:	1103 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	7790  
    Last edited by Waterways; 08-18-2008 at 08:40 AM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Railway Signal Engineer mikewturner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oritelad View Post

Sorry to disappoint but that's not a tunnel. The cutting wall is cutback for the swing of the turntable similar to wall benind the signal box at Lime Street which is built on the site of a former turntable.

Regards

Mike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikewturner View Post
    Sorry to disappoint but that's not a tunnel. The cutting wall is cutback for the swing of the turntable similar to wall benind the signal box at Lime Street which is built on the site of a former turntable.

Regards

Mike
    It has flash coving on the cutback giving the impression it was a tunnel, so easily mistaken. Just inside the main tunnel there is clearly and arched tunnel portal that look like it is going east. What is that? The start of a tunnel that was abandoned?

The cutback is in the background, on the back wall. There is a round tunnel inside the large tunnel opening. Judging by the car it could be the 1970s. Photo from Oritlad's web site:
    Last edited by Waterways; 03-06-2008 at 07:03 PM.

how it once was?

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    Just inside the main tunnel there is clearly and arched tunnel portal that look like it is going east. What is that? The start of a tunnel that was abandoned?
    Its probably the heading/flying junction that was constructed during the building of the loop & link to enable a connection south of central to one or more of the disused tunnels so the northern line could run to edge hill with extra underground stations along the way.

Martin S knows more than me. Its a relatively hidden and unknown part of the system, same with the header built between hamilton square and James Street for a connection to the docks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SKie View Post
    Its probably the heading/flying junction that was constructed during the building of the loop & link to enable a connection south of central to one or more of the disused tunnels so the northern line could run to edge hill with extra underground stations along the way.

Martin S knows more than me. Its a relatively hidden and unknown part of the system, same with the header built between hamilton square and James Street for a connection to the docks.
    SKie, I think it was a 1970s construction. I recall (dim memory) that they started the Edge Hill Spur to connect onto the Wapping Tunnel, as a part of the Outer Loop to make north and south loops from the centre outwards and back, but abandoned the idea. That cannot be a big job to re-start and why it is not being re-started when the city is expanding is beyond me.

Originally the Birkenhead to Liverppool rail tunnel was to have a branch before James St stn that went to Huskisson Dock. They stared it and it ran for a number of yards. I used to go to Birkenhead a lot and used James St to Birkenhead Central. I recall seeing it through the dark and always wondered what it was.

I think it was eventually used in the Loop Line of the 1970s.

Lifted from one of your posts. This thread:here It shows the spur from Central that would connect onto the Wapping Tunnel for the "Edge Hill Spur". The diagram shows two schemes. One using the Wapping Tunnel and one using the Waterloo Tunnel:
    Last edited by Waterways; 03-06-2008 at 06:04 PM.

how it once was?

Would I be right in saying, then, that this 'metropolitan line' in orange does not exist at all? Because if it did it would certainly put a new slant on things.

However, the tunnel that has been talked about, and can be seen in some of oritelad's pictures is very intriguing. I really must make a visit to these tunnels to see for myself. Access down to these tunnels looks difficult but I'll stick on a high-viz jacket and blag my way down (hopefully!).
    It seems as though the tunnel still exists (as can be seen on the pic with the small hole in the fence) and even if it is small and was used as a eg, undergound shed, it certainly gives food for thought.

But this site, the one seen in Waterways post sent at 01.36am on Thursday... what is it used for now? what is its purpose?

The 1970s diagram with the 'metropolitan line' does not look convincing to me. I don't know how it would work effectively, but I do agree that Central should be connected to Wapping tunnel, enabling direct trains from Ormskirk to Liverpool Parkway, and possibly a new station at Catherine St, although I believe the tunnel should be re-aligned if a new station is to be built, with a more centrally located station nearer the RC Cathedral. I'm not sure about the location of a Catherine St. Whos is it serving? Students.. I suppose, but not all, such as myself. The area is mainly populated by students living in the old Georgian houses who would probably never need to use the train.

I believe the Waterloo tunnel should be used to divert traffic away from the Lime St line. So all local trains from St Helens, Warrington, Anfield, Mossley Hill etc would use this line (with a new University station, near the north end of Crown St and east end of Brownlow Hill - ideal for students travelling from a future Smithdown station - which simply must go ahead) and still finish at Lime St. Not sure about the logistics of a tunnel connecting Waterloo to Lime St but I think these proposals are the most sensible that I can think of, as I am still to be convinced by the 'loop' ideas.

I also believe a realignment of the tunnel between Brunswick and Central MUST commence sooner rather than later, with a new station at King's Dock - a better location than the old Parliament St station. Times have changed and the rail network must adapt to these changes. Waterways is adamant about the need for undergound near Lodge Lane - but it's so close to town, let the buses take care of it.

One station I do agree with on this 'loop' is one near the Waterloo docks, so perhaps his 'loop' could work after all, but minus a Lodge Lane station!

****, I've gone off-topic.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    [IMG]

May 1982
    March 2008

not changed much really has it. I gather the first one was taken on a Sunday in the days before Sunday trading?

Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
    not changed much really has it. I gather the first one was taken on a Sunday in the days before Sunday trading?
    Yes, probably a Sunday (or any evening - I love empty streets!), and it was new in 1982, which accounts for the boarding up.
    It was 'modernised' a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Yes, probably a Sunday (or any evening - I love empty streets!), and it was new in 1982, which accounts for the boarding up.
    It was 'modernised' a few years ago.
    I remember the modernisation. putting in tiles that are super slippy when wet was a wonderful improvement!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lukeo25 View Post
    it looks like a ghost town in the may 82 pic
    Still, it's nice to see afew stripey traffic light poles!

www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar

visited the site of old hight level station yesterday such a sad feeling standing there remembering such a grand station it was so silent could see the old tunnel leading underground the road bridge seems to have been painted brown and cream i thought it used to be a blue green color? even the old metal pretestian bridge has been closed and getting knockdown now once this new development on the site starts we will loose every trace of this station we will never know it was ever there the road bridge is sopose to be getting knocked down the old tunnel sealed in and old station walls covered over such a shame

I took some pics in the car park a couple of weeks ago. I assume this is the area that the new development is going in?

Thanks for those pix quincy,and the one from the book. I've never been down there,perhaps I should before it vanishes!

Dave.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast