Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Cruise Liner Terminal

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    A man who bankrupt a great city and gave it a bad name internationally.
    I can't speak for Africa, Asia, South America or the antipodes but, I don't know of anyone in North America, without a Liverpool connection, who know's of Derek Hatton.

Didn't the police charge him with theft of a Rolex watch and didn't the court exonerate him, but only after the original owner declared that he gave Hatton the watch? Also, is it not true that the Thatcher government used all their resources to try and find some crime to charge this man with? And didn't they, Thatchers government, fail in this quest? Now, to my mind and to most reasonable people this would indicate the mans innocence, others less generous or with some other political agenda or dishonest motive themselves would say otherwise. IMHO.
    Last edited by Sloyne; 03-26-2007 at 05:13 AM.
    Help find Madeleine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Hatton

" If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Thanks John, I could see nothing, indicated in that biography,of a criminal nature. I think I would agree with my late mother when she said that the real damage done to Liverpool was not done by the militants or Derek Hatton but by the ultra right wing political extreemist, vindictive prime minister of the day, Maggie Thatcher.
    Last edited by Sloyne; 03-26-2007 at 02:27 PM.
    Help find Madeleine

Personally I think it'd be more fitting to name it after a Liverpudlian industrialist...

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Who is this Mr Hatton?
    See e.g. http://www.myspace.com/liverpool47

Check out the videos such as http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oID=1178374875

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Personally I think it'd be more fitting to name it after a Liverpudlian industrialist...
    That would eliminate Samuel Cunard, he being a Canadian from Halifax in the province of Nova Scotia. Maybe John Swire of HSBC and Cathay Pacific, but even here we have a problem because John Swire was also born in Halifax, this time the Yorkshire variety. Maybe one of the Holt brothers Alfred or John of Blue Funnel who, fortunately, were both born in Liverpool. Perhaps Liverpool could take a leaf out of the mundane Manchester book, this is what they, Manchester, did with the naming of their concert hall, after an industrialist person who built canals instead of after the very talented and most succesful musical director in that orchestra's (Halle) history, Sir John Barbarolli.

Really though, it won't matter what it's called to the vast majority of cruisers using the facility, they, more than likely, will be interested in the Beatles, cultural sites and shopping, but not neccessarily in that order.
    Last edited by Sloyne; 03-26-2007 at 03:15 PM.
    Help find Madeleine

"OCEAN GATEWAY"
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Thanks Howie, the video clip certainly show just how few Liverpool citizens supported the 47. I mean only filling Castle Street to Derby Square, Dale Street to beyond Moorfields and Water Street to the Strand.

I have been able to learn quite a lot about that period in Liverpool's political history, so much so that when I now see submissions from the extreemist right-wing Thatcherites and/or their fellow travellers, I am able to refute their lies with facts.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Sloyne; 03-26-2007 at 03:35 PM.
    Help find Madeleine

Imagine the Mancs or whoever hearing on the 6 o'clock news that the first liner is docking at Liverpool's Ocean Gateway - pure class.

I wouldn't name it after an individual, we've got the tunnels after royalty and certainly not Lady Di as suggested, what's she got to do with anything.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Imagine the Mancs or whoever hearing on the 6 o'clock news that the first liner is docking at Liverpool's Ocean Gateway - pure class.
    Yep, it would certainly spoil a few peoples day up the motorway. However, don't you think Granada and BBC would either ignore the event or just report that a "boat visited the Mersey for the day"?
    Help find Madeleine

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    "OCEAN GATEWAY"
    Ged = nice one. That is a name I could live with.

In saying that I think to most 'pudlians' it will always be known as the Pier Head.

Phredd

Quote Originally Posted by phredd View Post
    In saying that I think to most 'pudlians' it will always be known as the Pier Head.
    Actually Phredd, it has never been known as Pier Head. Pier Head is at the top of the bridges that connect the 'Princes and Georges Landing Stages' to the land. Pier Head being that area between the river and the "Three Graces". The name sez it all.
    Help find Madeleine

Default OCEAN GATEWAY

Luv it! - brings back all those memories of the 1933 film by the Merseyside Workers' Film Society: 'Liverpool: Gateway of Empire' or more recently Tony Lane's 1987 book of the same title, (of which I understand there is currently an updated version of titled 'Liverpool: City of the Sea'). Anyway I like 'Gateway' - it draws on our history!

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Luv it! - brings back all those memories of the 1933 film by the Merseyside Workers' Film Society: 'Liverpool: Gateway of Empire'
    But, alas, under Maggie Thatcher it became, for awhile, the "Doorway to despair".
    Help find Madeleine

The original film was about inequality contrasting the prosperity with the unemployment and workers' demos - something with have managed to maintain as currently the city with the greatest inequalities in the UK.

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast