Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Turned off Enhanced

Blog Entries

I disagree on your 1st point. The standards of a lot of housing were superior in both build and design. Much better craftsmanship overall. Survived the blitz, felled by council s***s.
    I agree, how long did the high rises last?( sorry Ged). Someone made a lot of money. Hush now, I think they still have future long term plans for redevelopment around Everton Park. The creation of Stanley Park was to provide a peaceful haven in the city for it's citizens. When the smell of money is wafted before the city fathers anything goes. Everton Park was always going to be a problem as it is too big, probably not a lot of crime there because it's too remote. Ski slopes? Didn't they open ski slopes in Kirby Sports centre and after a short time they closed down.
    George, are you going to the Everton Lost Tribe meet tomorrow? I intend to go, all depends on the weather as usual.
    Might see you on the piste,
    Yodel ay ay, yodel ee ee,
    Chas

I disagree on your 1st point. The standards of a lot of housing were superior in both build and design. Much better craftsmanship overall. Survived the blitz, felled by council s***s.
    They didn't survive the blitz,Chas.....they were actually weakened a bit more than they were,the bombing sent shock waves through the ground and add the minor earth tremors we have had over the years brought these victorian working mens houses to dangerous conditions to live in.

You have only got to look at the many pics from the LRO that show collapse of gable walls,bulging backwalls and actual collapse of various internal walls.

Our house in Albion St,the backitchen wall fell down making it dangerous for the bedroom above to be slept in.
    The house I have just moved from,the kitchen wall was on the verge of collapse due to it bellying out.

We must remember that the mortar that ws used on these house was poor and over 100 years old in most working mans dwellings and became a substance that crumbled in your hand and you could even scrape it away with the finger.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    They didn't survive the blitz,Chas.....they were actually weakened a bit more than they were,the bombing sent shock waves through the ground and add the minor earth tremors we have had over the years brought these victorian working mens houses to dangerous conditions to live in.

You have only got to look at the many pics from the LRO that show collapse of gable walls,bulging backwalls and actual collapse of various internal walls.

Our house in Albion St,the backitchen wall fell down making it dangerous for the bedroom above to be slept in.
    The house I have just moved from,the kitchen wall was on the verge of collapse due to it bellying out.

We must remember that the mortar that ws used on these house was poor and over 100 years old in most working mans dwellings and became a substance that crumbled in your hand and you could even scrape it away with the finger.
    I admit I don't have any knowledge of Victorian building practice apart from reading "the Ragged Trousered Philanthropists" but where we lived in Roscommon Street some houses were MAGNIFICANT. I recall my dad saying the back yard wall will need pointing in the summer, but that's about it. Our house had belonged to a Liverpool merchant in the past, it had a strange circular looking staircase on the ground floor and a circular skylight in the roof. it had an inside lav and bathroom, a kitchen and pantry, two living rooms and four bedrooms. Attached to it was a large stables, a small washhouse, and a front yard with a loose box building. We only managed to pay the rent by subletting parts of the stable to potato firms for storage etc. When the circus came to town we lodged many animals and pantomimes at the Empire had Shetland ponies and a Jack donkey which Buttons ( Ken Dodd) would ride! We also provided food and lodging to the animal's keepers. At this time my mam worked as a night nurse in Maghull homes, my dad looked after the premises and was involved in various enterprises, mainly to pay the rent. When we left under the CPO the stable wall adjoining Roscommon St school was still standing in the 1990's when the school was torched by vandals. Wish I'd have gotten a pic, you could still see where the impressions of the iron stalls in the wall.
    Dad and mam managed to scrape together enough to buy a shop on Heyworth Street, next to the school again. This story could go on for a long time,so....
    Getting back to your well argued points, George, the shop structure was sound. General maintenance jobs like pointing (again), no bathroom ( the wash house bathe were a short walk away) ,maybe could've had an bathroom extension in the back yard. Under the CPO we were awarded £300.00 for the property ( no good will as the council had cleared the area of customers by then), family was rehoused to a rented council house in Norris Green.
    I keep saying that some properties had no obvious future, but total demolition of an area and it's communities was not the answer. High rise living was a catastrophe (apologies to Ged). I've never lived in the high rises but I visited friends many times. Netherfield Heights, the Bradocks, Garibaldi, Meazzi, St Georges,the Piggeries, Sheil Road...... all constructed in my lifetime and demolished. Good riddance.
    It's too late to do anything about the past, let's not repeat the mistakes in the future (Edge Lane area etc). I think within 100 years Everton Park will be developed as a high class suburbia for the
    elite. Vauxhall community stood firm and got it right.
    The open view over Merseyside from St Georges church must have the developer's drooling.

"Have mercy said the blacksmith,
    How are you gonna replace human hands,
    Found guilty said the judge,
    Of not being in demand." ~ The Band, can't recall the title, just came to mind.

Apologies for rambling, George, just getting things off my chest.

Keep smilin',
    Chas

Interesting post Chas.

Blog Entries

Just reminiscing, in 2003 I had a stroke, memories from my younger days are still crystal clear. Glad you found it interesting, Lindylou.
    Chas

What is LRO please?

This is a great thread, thanks for all the work thats gone into it

Im interested to know where I can find old Liverpool maps online as it seems there were two roads behind my house at one time which now no longer exist. I have always wondered why that happened.
    Flickr . Please take a peek if you are interested

Blog Entries

Liverpool Records Office.

Somebody will drop by and give you the contacts etc.

You've apologised to me twice Chas regarding high rise living. I've never said anywhere that it was any good. My books are about the Tenements which were.

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chasevans View Post
    " but where we lived in Roscommon Street some houses were MAGNIFICANT. I recall my dad saying the back yard wall will need pointing in the summer, but that's about it. Our house had belonged to a Liverpool merchant in the past, it had a strange circular looking staircase on the ground floor and a circular skylight in the roof. it had an inside lav and bathroom, a kitchen and pantry, two living rooms and four bedrooms. Attached to it was a large stables, a small washhouse, and a front yard with a loose box building.
    I would have liked to have seen a pic of the inside and outside of that house Chas.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Southport Open Air Bathing Lake 1930.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	22447Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rodney Street 1960.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	22448
    Cracking photos GP, especially Southport baths, I think thats the first time I've ever seen a child in a full cozzy, just looks so unreal and the "ice cream" attendant dressed like a yankee naval officer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    You've apologised to me twice Chas regarding high rise living. I've never said anywhere that it was any good. My books are about the Tenements which were.

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

I would have liked to have seen a pic of the inside and outside of that house Chas.

I'm confident you'll find them in my previous posts. I've put everything I could find from LRO and my own family collection. Wish I could find more.
    I can't remember any inside photographs being taken, but this was pre 60's and flashes for cameras were expensive. I think you'll find that's why a lot of old family photos were taken outside in the sun. Our house had a front room kept spotless for visitors, the other rooms were lived in but tidy. If you really need to know more PM me.
    Chas

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyns View Post
    What is LRO please?

This is a great thread, thanks for all the work that's gone into it

I'm interested to know where I can find old Liverpool maps online as it seems there were two roads behind my house at one time which now no longer exist. I have always wondered why that happened.
    It's perhaps not so much that I lied, but more certain of the others who are in the know are too busy bickering. Tut-tut.
    Feast your eyes upon this Lyn...

http://www.liverpool.gov.uk/librarie...amily-history/

Im interested to know where I can find old Liverpool maps online as it seems there were two roads behind my house at one time which now no longer exist. I have always wondered why that happened.
    Old maps of liverpool can be got from the LRO and are Ordenance street map at 10p per each sheet of the map.

What roads are we talking about that you want to know about?

Old roads are often swept away and forgotten about and new estates built with new realigned roads, some carrying the same name as the old ones but not exactly on the same site or new names from scratch.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

You posted those in post #147,Joseph....your worse than me for double posting the same pics.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast