Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ann Fowler Memorial Home For Women

Debra

Look at those beautiful sinks !!

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Yes, you know where Everton Brow is - where the lock up is ? - - - Anne Fowlers was further along past there.
    The Ann Fowler Home was originally a Welsh Chapel serving the large Welsh population in Everton.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Yes, the Ann Fowlers of Netherfield rd no longer exists - it moved somewhere else - must be Fraser st as you say.
    Am on about the one opposite Cash Convertors in London rd. That's open .

I didn't know Ann Fowlers still existed, I had no idea it was now in Fraser st.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieW View Post
    One of my mam's sayings: "She's not going out dressed like that is she? She looks like one of Ann Fowler's!"
    One of my mum's sayings too!!!

I remember seeing the building years ago. It looked big, old and the bricks were black. I think by then it was closed and awaiting demolision. I always thought it was a school.

Partsky

Been in both places, Ann Fowlers, which was subsequently replaced with the Fraser Street Womens Hoster. Not as a resident, thank God, but as a housing officer trying to place the Women, which was, believe me, difficult as a lot of Landlords did not want to take "one of Ann Fowlers". Lots of sad stories and casualties but whilst I did not relish visiting, particularly Fowlers, you have to remember that it was established at a time when, sadly, womenwho were homeless literally on the street. "Fallen", as in "Fallen Women" could and did mean prostitution but for most women it could mean having a child, being abandoned, or being illegitimate or simply being poor. Many Women felt great shame being in there. As the Daughter of a Woman placed in an orphanage when her own Mother died, and a Father born illegitmate in Brownlow Hill Workhouse I always tried to place myself in the position of these Women I was interviewing. After all, there but for the grace of God.......................This brings back memories

Partsky

The Victoria Settlement was down the road from Ann Fowlers. Never went in it. What was it?

George

Victoria Settlement was womens university and was built around 1895/1905? prolly where ann fowlers women went for education in social life?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Partsky View Post
    The Victoria Settlement was down the road from Ann Fowlers. Never went in it. What was it?
    The Victoria Settlement was the former home of Major Lester,it was a boys club in early 80's.......it was demolished 1990's? & a block of flats now stands there also called the Victoria Settlement
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Blog Entries

sign on Branded Bargains in Audley St

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

George

The Victoria Settlement was the former home of Major Lester,it was a boys club in early 80's.......it was demolished 1990's? & a block of flats now stands there also called the Victoria Settlement
    Wrong,the Major Lester home looked across over the Victoria Settlement.

http://www.emanuensis.btinternet.co.uk/lester.htm

Have you seen the late Dave Evans site George, I know Mandy has.

http://www.emanuensis.btinternet.co.uk/lester.htm

Click on the little home at the bottom of the page to take you back to the home page and from there you can navigate to other pages.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Debra

Quote Originally Posted by Partsky View Post
    Been in both places, Ann Fowlers, which was subsequently replaced with the Fraser Street Womens Hoster. Not as a resident, thank God, but as a housing officer trying to place the Women, which was, believe me, difficult as a lot of Landlords did not want to take "one of Ann Fowlers". Lots of sad stories and casualties but whilst I did not relish visiting, particularly Fowlers, you have to remember that it was established at a time when, sadly, womenwho were homeless literally on the street. "Fallen", as in "Fallen Women" could and did mean prostitution but for most women it could mean having a child, being abandoned, or being illegitimate or simply being poor. Many Women felt great shame being in there. As the Daughter of a Woman placed in an orphanage when her own Mother died, and a Father born illegitmate in Brownlow Hill Workhouse I always tried to place myself in the position of these Women I was interviewing. After all, there but for the grace of God.......................This brings back memories
    What a lovely way of thinking you have Partsky 'Empathy' not a lot of people have that ..

Debra

The Victoria Settlement was on York Terrece , next door to the rag yard , i was a regular in secky , i loved it .
    I played the pussycat in thier anual summer play 'The owl and the pussycat' !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast