Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why 08's boring

Libertarian

Default Why 08's boring

I am sick of hearing about the capital of culture already so I thought I would attempt to instigate a backlash.

What exactly is 08 all gonna be about? Don't get me wrong if the regeneration of the city in the name of 08 continues that's a good thing although it is debatable if anything other than Yuppie flats is being built.

However, it seems to me that in 08 we can all go shopping in the Grosvenor Development (WOOOPEEDI!) Or go and see Simon Rattle on the Philharmonic (WHO?) I'm sure the people of Kensington or Anfield are already saving their giro's up to pay for days out planned by all those trendy wendys in the culture company.

kat2

why would you want to do that? after all, new jobs have and are being created, look at how many new retail jobs have been created. Look at how many construction staff have work. Maybe yes yuppie flats but yuppy flats bring prosperity and money to the area, they pay council tax too, and the more buildings the more council tax the lower the over all bill!. I think its a golden oppotunity to promote all things good about Liverpool.
    kat

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    What exactly is 08 all gonna be about?
    I think that's half the problem - we don't know what it's about! But given all the tales we are hearing about local arts organisations, local trade union branches, local community groups, etc. being excluded - we suspect it is NOT going to be about us.

PS What has the regeneration of the built environment got to do with the Capital of Culture?

Libertarian

Yeh I agree but i think we are missing something here. Its like people who don't like christmas and 08 seems like a year long enforced christmas which is not only an anticlimax but smaltzy and bland.

Libertarian

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    I think that's half the problem - we don't know what it's about! But given all the tales we are hearing about local arts organisations, local trade union branches, local community groups, etc. being excluded - we suspect it is NOT going to be about us.
    I actually agree with you on that Howie.

kat2

** I thought it was a combination of the citys birthday and winning the capital of culture award, I dont think it was ever about the local population, that just rides on the back, its about historic events, isnt it? I mean how can you do things about local people, unless of course there long dead?
    the regeneration of the city I would have thought was more to do with prosperity and investment (faith in) the city of Liverpool. I think it will be a good year for all things historical, fine architecture, historic events, culturalism. I agree though that local people should take part in promoting all things good.
    its not about spending money on the people of liverpool, its about the history and divirsity of the city over the years.
    what did you think it was? give away free things?
    this is a once in a life time event for the council to try and pull investment in, to try and create new jobs, off the back of new homes.
    kat

I thought the idea was to bring the people of Europe together by designating cities for a year to showcase their culture.

kat2

I wouldnt have thought their culture, rather the citys historical culture, were so multi cultural now it wouldnt matter. I thought it was to do with the citys history and all things that the city has stood for? as in past tense?
    in other words what made Liverpool and its architecture what it is today?
    kat

Why can't a giant 08 Logo be made out of fire and placed somewhere In the city centre next year?

All their building Is retail places and flats for Students or rich people.

More things made out of fire must be made!

A flaming liver bird sculpture rising from the ashes would be a fine Livepool sculpture.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by kat2 View Post
    I wouldnt have thought their culture, rather the citys historical culture, were so multi cultural now it wouldnt matter. I thought it was to do with the citys history and all things that the city has stood for? as in past tense?
    in other words what made Liverpool and its architecture what it is today?
    kat
    That's right Kat - culture past and present, including a history of fighting oppression from the anti-slavery movement to the dock strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Why can't a giant 08 Logo be made out of fire and placed somewhere In the city centre next year?

All their building Is retail places and flats for Students or rich people.

More things made out of fire must be made!

A flaming liver bird sculpture rising from the ashes would be a fine Livepool sculpture.
    Maybe we can organise something for May Day, Max!

Well I can burn something.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Just to pick up on a phrase Kat2 used :- "Yuppie Flats"

If the building rate on "Yuppie Flats" carries on at this rate there will be more of them in Liverpool than the much needed Council Houses.
    Just my thoughts.

Phredd
    In the days when we had nothing we had fun.
    If tomorrow starts without me, remember I was here.

PhilipG

I thought European Capital of Culture was some sort of consolation prize given to poor cities to give them a boost.
    But isn't Liverpool saying it's even that poor that it can't afford it?

The Duke of Westminster will benefit from the Grosvenor development, but I don't think I'll be able to afford to do much shopping there!

kat2

Hi, Phredd,
    they dont build council houses any more, the more yuppie flats the better, that keeps the council tax down (higher band rating) where as social housing generally is a much lower band hence a short fall. I think its a good idea, recently over here I have mentioned to the chairman of the housing committe that we need to look at that concept here on the wirral, after all councils need money to provide services it collects revenue via its council tax service, the higher the band the more it collects which keeps the over all council tax level down. I have put forward that we need to look at building luxury estates in desirable areas to live. Social housing sadly seems to be in decline in liverpool, recently (i posted yesterday) one housing development company sold up and moved out of Liverpool. I know from my own council exeriences the best thing we did was get out of the council housing business. Thats not that I am against social housing but the sheer amount of maintainance costs on these estates through vandalism, and property damage had a severe impact on how much councils could spend, that and government capping.
    it became an endless cycle.
    back to capital of culture, I thought cities won based off certain critirial and Liverpool one due to its architectural significance.
    kat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast