Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone remember Throstles Nest?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Partsky View Post
    These posts take me back. I worked in Walton Hospital between 1970 and 1982...

Hi Partsky,
    What did you do there? I had a friend, Sheila, who was a medical secretary there in the early 70's.
    Also played rugby with a few of the doctors - again early 70's. The doctors had their own bar in their accommodation block. Quite often ended up there after a game when the pubs shut. The main doctor I knew, John, had a brother who taught Spanish and his party trick was to do a strip fandango on the coffee table in the bar - usually about 2.00am.
    We'd often join in and you'd end up with drunken idiots all over the place falling over while trying to dance and get their kecks off at the same time.
    Eventually, people would fall asleep where they fell.

Around 6.00 or 7.00 the next morning a tea lady would come around with a trolley. Many's the time I've been shaken awake, lying there stark naked, with some old dear saying 'cup of tea, love?'.

You couldn't make this stuff up - nobody would believe it!

Here's the Atlas Cinema posted on this site by Sirob on the unseen Liverpool thread.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default The Sod House

That's what my mum used to call "The Stanley" pub. I always presumed it was because it was full of Sods, ie husbands drinking their wages away. I later found out that King Edward(?) allegedly visited it once and referred to it as "The Sod House" but I presumed that someone had misheard him calling it a 'Sot (Drunkard) House'.

I grew up in that area and well remember Throstle's Nest; I recall trailing up and down it on Sundays when my dad was in The Stanley getting pissed. We used to get a bottle of lemonade and a packet of crisps (complete with blue packet of salt) to keep us sat quietly on the doorstep.

Occasionally, we would disappear down the jiggers around there and end up at the back of the Atlas; the facade was still there but the back of it was a mass of bricks and rubbish. There were some square holes in the facade and we used to wait for people to go past and shout abuse at them then almost kill ourselves trying to get out of there just in case anyone took the trouble to come round looking for us

I think it was still an almost complete shell in the 1960s because the local toughnuts used to catch pigeons in there and use old camera shutters or something to behead them (or so they told us impressionable kids) but, at some point in the 1970s, they reduced it to rubble.

This is clearly what is missing from the lives of children today !

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmace View Post
    There were some square holes in the facade and we used to wait for people to go past and shout abuse at them.

This is clearly what is missing from the lives of children today !

Ha ha - this is what selective editing can do for a posting.

Oh those simple bygone times. I know what you mean though Michealmace.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

I can't get over how much this small corner of Liverpool has changed. Unbelievable!
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

I remember the atlas cinima very well lived on rice lane corner of grey road over the chemist one christmas my dad was asked to make a mode of a farther christmas comming down the chimley which was at the top of the stairs leading from the street.Lovely to see the pictures happy times.

Smile throstles nest

The throstles nest was a little alley that led from the side of the plough pub and atlas ,it a a few little houses it....a old woman who used to dress like a witch lived in one of these and if she was out when we walked through we turn around and go another way..... it had a little alley that led threw the houses to behind the stanley pub....at the other end was a ally leading out to beconsfield road ....remember the big flag on the wall.... beconfiled road had two little sweet shops one on the corner of salisbury road and ane on the corner of cavendish road .........beconsfield road led up to a small tunnel which went under the railway and led out into walton park............in salisbury road was a delco soap works and spensors iron foundry.....there was alittle shop in sandon road aswell ....no big supermarkets back then.
    As kid we used to play on the old railway any one remember the seven sister ponds,what a laugh we had up there.....

Toyota

Partsky

Default Seven Sisters Ponds! I had forgotten them....

Re the previous post regarding the Throstles nest and playing by the Seven Sisters Ponds. There was a Seven Sisters Pond at the back of Hartleys Village so I assume they stretch from Hartleys Village, off Long Lane, to the back of the Throstles Nest, or am I wrong. I used to play there with my mates on the way back from the old St Bonaventure School, in Cedar Road. Where did the name Seven Sisters come from or should this be a new thread. Sorry!!

Default seven sisters

Really not sure where the name seven sister comes from,I grew up in the 70s and we always called these little ponds the sevs,the kids of today think the seven sisters are the old railway tunnells that run under the flyover,a old guy once told me that there was a family who had seven daughters who lived in the area who owned the land well before there was a railway there and that where the neme come from,he allso told me the first and deepest pond which was the one level with the cemetery was a bomb crater from the war,I dont know if you ever remember when the housing estate was getting built but when they drained this big pond opposite the cemetery there as a tunnel maybe it was a sewer about six foot high which led back toward the cemetery.

Toyota

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Partsky View Post
    Re the previous post regarding the Throstles nest and playing by the Seven Sisters Ponds. There was a Seven Sisters Pond at the back of Hartleys Village so I assume they stretch from Hartleys Village, off Long Lane, to the back of the Throstles Nest, or am I wrong. I used to play there with my mates on the way back from the old St Bonaventure School, in Cedar Road. Where did the name Seven Sisters come from or should this be a new thread. Sorry!!
    No am glad to see someone remembers my old playground. The seven sisters was brilliant. Cedar rd my sister lived in.
    The throstles nest now has strippers on of an afternoon.

Partsky

Default working in Walton Ozzie mid 70s to late 80s. Docs parties, Throstles nest 7 Sisters

As usual, I am months late to reply due to some illness issues.

I worked in the pharmacy in Walton hospital for 12 years from mid 70s. I well remember the notorious "Doctors Landing" parties. Socially ambitious types thought it was a place to nab a Doctor. Given their daytime duties, the Doctors used to go beserk and their parties were the talk of the hospital. I went once but found, as a relatively young female, it would have been wiser to attend in a suit of armour. Other memories are of volunteering for the then new Pain relief Centre, which was in a portakabin at the back. My favourite participation in an experiment was to hold my arm up and allow the blood to drain, whilst wired up to strange machines, in order to establish how much pain individuals could take. My soon to be husband got the highest score and me the second!! We were paid a Mars Bar by, as I recall, Doctor Luerta, a Spanish Doctor. Been having a fight with Cancer for three years so feel glad I did some of those tests, given the help I have been given myself.The Old Throstles Nest was my favourite place to wander as it was like a time warp. My memories of the "Sod House" pub was that it was the Prince of Wales Pubs nickname (which stands on Rice Lane, on the same side as the hospital) and, my understanding of it was that the (now dead) Prince of Wales was allegedly a "sodomite", as per the Oscar Wilde trial comment. Thanks for info re 7 Sisters. great stuff. I for a time in Willowdale Road, in the old Dairy, and then in the Nurses Home, which is now apartments and then Cedar Road with the Husband, where we stayed for 12 years. Its an area of hidden history, like the Throstles nest, which was like going back to Victorian times, and the wonderful but criminally neglected Jewish Cemetery, plus of course, the amazing Walton Park Cemetery, with Robert Tressells grave.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12