Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ITV in Croxteth gun incident

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by John(Zappa) View Post
    The programme made Liverpool look the worst.
    All other cities where reported from the city centre.Ours-the suburbs.
    London highlighted a bag theft,Nottingham-a knife incident.Liverpool was an in depth report and confrontation with local youths,consisting of stone throwing and supposedly threatening behaviour with a gun.
    Was this programme purposely made for the outcome to be Liverpool depicted as the worst city of the three.? If so they have accomplished what they set out to achieve.
    Well said John It was a put up job.

Regardless of where it happened, the point is that it does happen. Liverpool, Manchester, Nottingham, London etc etc, its there, they are free to roam, pull out guns (and shoot) beat pensioners on their doorstep, beat innocent citizens (as well as their own) to death for nothing more than a wrongly timed look, I could go on and on. It does happen here unfortunately, it should be accepted and then tackled.

pointing out Liverpool may have the added side effect of allowing extra resources to tackle it. That can only be a good thing, surely?

Point is when will it stop, or even be taken seriously? I applaud the reporters solely for highlighting it (whether goaded or not, did they still have the right to point a gun? surely no one is justifying that?), no matter where they had gone, it should be put at the forefront of the goverments agenda, not on the bakc boiler.

Its a problem that will get further and further out of hand unless proper action is taken to stem it. And that starts with protecting us, the innocent, and providing proper policing, and reasserting authority.

No authority, and nanny state will eventually signal anarchy. I already booked my place on the Ark II

John(Zappa)

Quote Originally Posted by corky100 View Post
    Regardless of where it happened, the point is that it does happen. Liverpool, Manchester, Nottingham, London etc etc, its there, they are free to roam, pull out guns (and shoot) beat pensioners on their doorstep, beat innocent citizens (as well as their own) to death for nothing more than a wrongly timed look, I could go on and on. It does happen here unfortunately, it should be accepted and then tackled.

Accepted then tackled ?????????
    Don't reckon on that idea.Accept my dad being mugged,robbed or whatever and then tackle why it happened?
    Surely it should be eradicated before it becomes an issue over acceptance?

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

To be blunt, your asking for trouble being in Croxteth at gone 10 at night with a film crew...its just not done.

I dont like how just because the area witnessed a truely terrible crime back in last year, the media have to come and make "special" crime programmes portraying areas like these as being unsafe. Yes this and many similar areas like it have problems, but what good will this programme do? tell people what they already know??

Unless the journalist(s) involved can come up with realistic solutions with regards to solving an areas problems, then I am all in favour seeing programmes like this. But if they are just going to cast negative aspersions onto areas which have seen a mixture of the good and bad, then its just an utter waster of valuable film.

Apologies of my view on this matter seems to be a little unsympathetic but that is my current view.
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

Quote Originally Posted by John(Zappa) View Post
    Accepted then tackled ?????????
    Don't reckon on that idea.Accept my dad being mugged,robbed or whatever and then tackle why it happened?
    Surely it should be eradicated before it becomes an issue over acceptance?
    Sorry, that didn't appear as intended! it meant to say 'accept its a serious problem' and then tackle it (obviously before it has chance to happen!). some people just don't think its an issue yet when obviously its a very serious one...

chippie

that silly reporter said on the radio that as she was from here she wouldn,t set out to diss the city. Well if she didn,t then I don,t know what she did. She did,t put Liverpool in a good light.

Quote from Wallasey 'To be blunt, your asking for trouble being in Croxteth at gone 10 at night with a film crew...its just not done.'

Wallasey. You should not feel uneasy anywhere in your own city - full stop.

I don't like Thatcher that much but when she said she was coming up to Liverpool at the time of the Toxteth riots, she was advised against it because it was a 'no go area'.

'NO', there are no 'no go areas' she said and came up.

That's the sort of balls required to sort the sorry mess out - that, and proper, stiffer sentences.

We have to ask 'what came first' the guns or the ITV. If they'd driven around Woolton gone 10pm, they'd have probably seen nothing but a drunk staggering out of the pub, they were up in Crocky because of what's happening there - the agenda isn't hidden, it's bang on.
    Last edited by Ged; 01-29-2008 at 04:25 PM.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

I listen to 5Live most mornings (although admittedly not for the past 2 weeks - I've not had a car), and don't associate her with sensational journalism. I also get the impression shes very pro-Liverpool.

I personally believe the reason that the media are so concentrated in the Croxteth area at the moment is the Rhys shooting happened in August. So far no-one has been charged and there have been a lot of promises by government and local authorities about tackling the issues in the area.

The promises of the 24 hour visible policing when announced resulted in a non-stop patrol. I'd see it every night as I came home from work, and most evenings when I'd be out and about. However, I can honestly say I haven't seen a police car / person for about the past 3/4 weeks now. The policiing has gone very quiet, and sure enough the scallies are starting to hang about again now.

The problem hasn't been addressed, and if the council believe its a quick fix of sending high visibility patrols for a few weeks at a time, then there very much mistaken.

I'm afraid I suspect the national media will be descending (and portraying in a bad light) Croxteth for some considerable time yet...

Blog Entries

Why hasn't this happened so publically in Moss Side etc?

Anyway, moving on....

Whta annoys me to death about this and other associated problems is the weakness of the Government to do anything about it.

In no civilised country that is suppose to be free (it aint if you are governed by intimidation and poor standards of behaviour) should this happen, no ***** footing around is going to solve it, as far as I'm concerned its will only get worse. Unless stiff action is taken NOW, which it won't there fore I'm left with only one alternative if I want my kids to be brought up how I want them to be, move away from the UK.

My kids deserve better, in fact we all do.

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

PhilipG

I avoid ITV News, Granada Reports and documentaries on ITV.
    They are always more 'Sensational' than if they'd been reported by the BBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock View Post
    I listen to 5Live most mornings (although admittedly not for the past 2 weeks - I've not had a car), and don't associate her with sensational journalism. I also get the impression shes very pro-Liverpool.

I personally believe the reason that the media are so concentrated in the Croxteth area at the moment is the Rhys shooting happened in August. So far no-one has been charged and there have been a lot of promises by government and local authorities about tackling the issues in the area.

The promises of the 24 hour visible policing when announced resulted in a non-stop patrol. I'd see it every night as I came home from work, and most evenings when I'd be out and about. However, I can honestly say I haven't seen a police car / person for about the past 3/4 weeks now. The policiing has gone very quiet, and sure enough the scallies are starting to hang about again now.

The problem hasn't been addressed, and if the council believe its a quick fix of sending high visibility patrols for a few weeks at a time, then there very much mistaken.

I'm afraid I suspect the national media will be descending (and portraying in a bad light) Croxteth for some considerable time yet...

I guess they are just waiting for the next child to be shot. That's a harsh statement and an appalling prospect but quite possibly will happen. Disgusting.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

If anyone was listening to Radio Merseyside last night they reported that on the lunchtime phone in with Roger Phillips, Fogarty had said that the gun incident related to her apparently seeing 'the light from the viewfinder of a gun being shone through the blacked out window of a car' A light from a viewfinder??? Is she saying that the people in the car had laser sights on their gun and she is such an expert in firearms and munitions that she can spot this through a blacked out window? What are they on about? This sounds very different to someone pointing a gun out of a window which suggests a rolled down window and the gun actually being pointed at you.
    I'll let you draw your own conclusions but this was posted on ssc.

Sounds more than a bit iffy does that.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Why hasn't this happened so publically in Moss Side etc?

Anyway, moving on....

Whta annoys me to death about this and other associated problems is the weakness of the Government to do anything about it.

In no civilised country that is suppose to be free (it aint if you are governed by intimidation and poor standards of behaviour) should this happen, no ***** footing around is going to solve it, as far as I'm concerned its will only get worse. Unless stiff action is taken NOW, which it won't there fore I'm left with only one alternative if I want my kids to be brought up how I want them to be, move away from the UK.

My kids deserve better, in fact we all do.

That's the way I feel too. I love Liverpool and would never want to leave it. However, the state of the way things are going (or have gone) in UK make me think there is no alternative but to get away.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    I avoid ITV News, Granada Reports and documentaries on ITV.
    They are always more 'Sensational' than if they'd been reported by the BBC.
    I don't watch any of those reports now. They are just too depressing.

I stopped watching those documentaries about crime - they just get me angry.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast