Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Second Mersey Crossing and Associated Schemes

Chris48

Nope, thin end of the wedge Phredd. We live in Halton and we have never had to pay. Now there will be "reductions" for locals! Don't hold your breath. HBC is strapped and this will be a moneyspinner for them.

Plans for new Mersey bridge to go before government
    Apr 24 2008
    by Nick Coligan, Liverpool Echo

A MULTI-MILLION pound plan to build a second bridge across the River Mersey will be sent to the government shortly.

Councillors last night agreed to apply for crucial legislation to allow the £390m Mersey Gateway to be built between Widnes and Runcorn.

If granted by ministers the Transport and Works Order (TWO) would be the equivalent of the long-awaited project getting planning permission.

Yesterday’s decision by Halton council was another vital milestone in the long-running campaign for a second crossing.

The 47-year-old Silver Jubilee bridge now handles up to 93,000 vehicles a day – more than nine times what it was built for despite being made a dual carriageway in 1977.

If granted by the government the TWO will allow the council to build the bridge, buy up land in its path, make changes to approach roads and set tolls.

Officials are expected to formally submit it next month after the council elections.

Applications to alter the road network in Widnes and Runcorn and change the traffic flow and lay-out on the Silver Jubilee bridge are already in the hands of council planners.

The council started working on the current Mersey Gateway plan in 2000 after the government agreed a new bridge was a priority.

Source: Liverpool Echo

Mersey Gateway bridge tolls revealed
    Jun 10 2008
    by Laura Sharpe, Liverpool Echo

THE PROPOSED costs of using the new Mersey Gateway bridge and the existing Silver Jubilee Bridge have been revealed.

Halton council has set toll ranges within which the final prices will be set ahead of 2014 when the new bridge opens.

They range from nothing to a possible £10 and will be the same for both bridges.

The council has also promised to offer discounts over 30 years with £123m of Public Finance Initiative credits helping to keep tolls low.

Class one, mopeds, motorcycles, motor tricycles or quad bikes between £0 – £2.50; class two, cars, light vans and motor caravans between £1 – £2.50; class three, small goods vehicles and coaches £2 – £5; and class four, large goods vehicles and coaches, £4 – £10.

Proposed charges of between £6 – £220 will apply to large and abnormal loads using both bridges.

More...

Blog Entries

THE £390m Mersey Gateway project to create a second Runcorn bridge cleared another major hurdle last night, when Halton councillors backed the scheme. Read
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Howcome we don't have a bridge nearer to Liverpool?

Can you cycle on the Silver Jubilee bridge? Was there last week and wasn't sure so went on the walking bit.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

THE world?s best companies are hoping to build Merseyside?s largest infrastructure project in decades."

The bridge is not in Merseyside.

The first road tunnel was to be a bridge, however the government said it could be easily bombed in case of war.

We lost Manchester Dock because of subsidence when building the first road tunnel.

The second tunnel had no need to be a tunnel as a bridge would have been far better and given a further higher profile image to the city. The whole of a north end community was wiped away for approach roads to make a road connection with Wallasey which is no more than a sleeper suburb of Liverpool and not even in Liverpool or even Lancashire at the time.

The city of Liverpool and Planning do not mix very well.
    Last edited by Waterways; 03-09-2009 at 04:53 PM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Well the public enquiry about this bridge takes place from tomorrow and lasts for 40 days. It will hear pro and opposition views but if the project goes ahead, then BOTH bridges will be tolled. This will be the first time ever in the UK that a toll is to be set up on an old bridge that is already bought and paid for. The councillors at Halton Borough Council insist that it is the Government who insist on tolling the new bridge, but they havent apparently insisted that both bridges must be tolled.

Oh, and the legislation has already been activated for the coucil to put tolls into place. So despite a public enquiry, it apears to be a done deal already.
    Happy tolling!

Bah. The last time I went to Runcorn anyway when when I copped for a woman in the Grafton and she said Kiss me where it smells.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Bah. The last time I went to Runcorn anyway when when I copped for a woman in the Grafton and she said Kiss me where it smells.
    Oh right. That's useful!

That must have been "GRANOX" in Widnes then,

Phredd
    In the days when we had nothing we had fun.
    If tomorrow starts without me, remember I was here.

phredd, do you know, you were the only one I though of upsetting as I typed that but then I thought what the hell. Yes, Widnes is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Scouser View Post
    Oh right. That's useful!
    Of course I understand your angst, they have us by the short and curlies always.

Do what I do whenever plans are announced to rip us off. Don't go there.

I know it's a sad situation but it's why i've never been outside of Vauxhall Road.

Hey, i've just thought. I could even add this to my handy tips page.

It really does smell by the bridge end as well! Better views on the Widnes end.

Everytime i drive through Runcorn to try and get to somewhere like Beeston, they lack road signs for smaller places so i end up not finding it in the end.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast