Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Renshaw Street Underground Passageways

Blog Entries

I think you're right George, there's no other building on Lime Street it can be. Well done.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

I smell a scam here - and in the other two threads that have appeared on a similar topic, viz underground streets, etc... But I'd be delighted to be proved wrong!
    Me toodrumming up interest for the ghostbusters?

---------- Post added at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

I think you're right George, there's no other building on Lime Street it can be. Well done.
    Its the hotel alright...at first I thought it might of been the "Adelphi" but the windows in the ghostbusters link didn't tali with the Adelphi's so that left only one other large building on Lime street and that was the NWHotel,sure enought the window was identicle and the arch ones at street level too.
    Then cupcakes pic of the street level one and you could see daylight around its perimeter,the ghostbusters pics must have been when the boards over the windows where up as now they are showing the windows without boards in ooogle streetview.

Elementry my dear watson.

Blog Entries

1848/64 OS of Lime Street, [LRO].

I've highlighted the yet-to-be-built-site of the NW Hotel, which was shown on George's photos earlier. This map dates to before the hotel was built, and shows that Lime Street station tracks travelled beneath the site of the hotel.

The now former hotel is today used as student accommodation for John Moore's uni.

[Keep 'clicking' on the image to zoom-in on the detail].

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Great Western Hotel Lime Street.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	655.0 KB 
ID:	17856
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post

I've highlighted the yet-to-be-built-site of the NW Hotel, which was shown on George's photos earlier. This map dates to before the hotel was built, and shows that Lime Street station tracks travelled beneath the site of the hotel.

The now former hotel is today used as student accommodation for John Moore's uni.

Any further info on the Schools for the Indigent Blind, please Dazza? I had no idea that Children in Need went that far back, but I see it was sited in Pudsey Street, presumably named as a tribute to those generous benefactors...

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post

So would the whole of that site have been the station? There's nothing down there that could be to do with the station but there is an area which is on the upper part of one of the buildings which looks like an old toilets, very ornate, with a tiled mosaic floor. Looking at your map it was probably the old station toilets. The street level is infront of that though so would be under what used to be the hotel. I've got pics of the toilets, I'll put them up later for you to see.

The toilets as far as I remember? went down a flight of tiled stairs,if mem serves me right they cuved in an declining arc fashion.

Used to hate going down underground lavvies as a kid because there where some dity old men knocking about.

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

Here's what some of the station used to look like in the 50's that underground exploration you went on would have gone from Lord Nelson Street end right through to the station end.

In pick eight the toilets where right at the end corner.
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...26tbs%3Disch:1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Doh View Post
    Any further info on the Schools for the Indigent Blind, please Dazza? I had no idea that Children in Need went that far back, but I see it was sited in Pudsey Street, presumably named as a tribute to those generous benefactors...
    There's a plan of the school and further info on the link below. The school dates from 1800 [the London Road site] and was designed by John Foster Jnr. The building was later demolished. The site is now occupied by the Odeon cinema.

No mention of 'Pudsey' though. :-(

http://www.btinternet.com/~m.royden/...on/rushton.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12