Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Genealogy-Who is into it?

Can go back to the early 1800s on my dads side, then hit a brick wall, what amazed me was family has always been settled in roughly the same area of Liverpool,I know where most lived and nice to know where you come from,ROOTS

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gorgeous View Post
    I've been doing mine for a few yrs , it can become costly sending off for certificates to verify , but i love it .
    Hit a brick wall as soon as i started though & still havn't managed to find anything on my g grandad , all i have is his name .I thought i would trace his son as he had a very unusual name , only to find for some unknown reason when he married his named changed completly. How can you go from Gambetter Dupre , to Henry Austin ???? Jeeeeeeezzzzzz i'm gonna make sure i make it real hard for my lot to trace me , Lord Lucan would be easier to find than some of mine but i'm hooked .

karen x
    Could he have been an actor?? I know I dated a Charles Austin years ago and his real name was so much nicer. Seeing the Austin made me think that maybe your Grandad was an actor too.
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Just thought I'd bump this up!
    Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Ronijayne View Post
    Could he have been an actor?? I know I dated a Charles Austin years ago and his real name was so much nicer. Seeing the Austin made me think that maybe your Grandad was an actor too.
    Austin Powers maybe..........waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaheyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyy

If he wasn't an Austin, maybe he was a Rover.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

My brothers began our research back in the late 1970's and we've all taken a turn over the years. Since I gave up work a few years ago I've been doing a lot of research and found relatives in various parts of Wales, England, Ireland, Denmark and Canada. It can be very addictive but also very tiring but once I get the bit between my teeth with a new lead then I'm off again!

Family surnames: Reid, Roberts, Staines, Brawn, Turner, Hegarty, Harvey, Hardy, Birch, Griffiths, Lucas, Nolan, Jones, Smith and many more........................
    Last edited by carolmcb; 06-25-2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: adding names

I'd agree with you that it is very addictive !, and also add expensive with the cost of certificates etc !....just a thought I wonder how many of us are looking for "Jones" connections , mine came from Llanfyllin !

Quote Originally Posted by squiggs View Post
    I'd agree with you that it is very addictive !, and also add expensive with the cost of certificates etc !....just a thought I wonder how many of us are looking for "Jones" connections , mine came from Llanfyllin !
    Ha,that must be as bad as tracing Smiths!

I have a hughes married to a Johnson. tried for ages to trace the Johnson side, nightmare, until I got the marriage certificate and found the real spelling was Johansson, and was born in Sweden. Then by getting other certificates and census returns I discovered that John Peter Johnson was really Johan Petter Johansson. He had left Sweden as a young man looking for work. After settling in Liverpool he changed his name to English versions probably to fit in. Because of him I am here today, and because of him I have Blond Eyebrows.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Oh tell me about it! Those Jones/Evans/Edwards in Wales! and then the patronymics in Wales, Shetland and Norway!! Still love it though AND helping out so if you've any queries I will try to find out what I can for you all.
    I have an Edward Edwards from Halkin b 1827ish, a David Jones (tanner) b1805 Llanrwst and a John Evans b 1805 ish living in Trefriw, possibly born there. All three are brick walls that I can't seem to get round, any help gratefully received, Best of luck, Flower

Default Swapping documents, etc saves money.

when I gain contact with a newfound 'distant rellie' I'm only too happy to e-swap all famhist documents/info/photos as it helps both side. I've done this with several cousins in Canada, Denmark, London, Essex, Cheshire and Liverpool (my birth city) and it saves a lot of money and time trawling various website, most of which charge the earth. I also, where possible, try to swap research in that if somebody wants something checking where I live and they can check something their end for me, we do so. It's a great way to save on the £'s and also make new friends. I was just trying to check something on the Irish BMD site and was appalled to find they wanted 5 euros to look at each of the many possible matches that showed up!

Quote Originally Posted by carolmcb View Post
    ...... I was just trying to check something on the Irish BMD site and was appalled to find they wanted 5 euros to look at each of the many possible matches that showed up!
    Same with the Scots....

But luckily they let the Mormons microfilm all of the Scottish church records in the 60's, and they are still available for free through the LDS web site.

I never knew what the Mormons I met did when they said they had been to Scotland on a one year "mission" - they must have spent the year just copying records - which ended up being good for us tracing family...

And this was all before computers and the internet was invented...

I am researching Heron and I found her family all were baptised and married in the 1700's and 1800's at St. Peter's church, long gone but the same church had Herron also!!! Family , spelling mistake, who knows. Makes it harder

I am researching Heron and I found her family all were baptised and married in the 1700's and 1800's at St. Peter's church, long gone but the same church had Herron also!!! Family , spelling mistake, who knows. Makes it harder
    Like me trying to do my family tree, looking for my dad born in somerset as william john found his birth but after
    that nothing. Eventualy found he switched his names round to john william and I found allsorts about him and
    even found some living relatives, takesa longgggg time to find things

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456