Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Liverpool Railway Stations

Quote Originally Posted by mike delamar View Post
    sorry to be one of them annoying anoraks, crown st closed in 1972

mike
    At Crown Street you can still see that it was a goods trminal eventhough it's a park now as you can see in the middle were the turn table would have been at one time and where all the line would have split off.

As i recently wenrt up there on my bike and it was an ammazing seen as you can also see that the walls are still railway brick ones as it also shows that things were built to last.

Quote Originally Posted by babaconda View Post
    I know exactly where you mean. In the run up to where the platform is there are a lot of equipment cupboards. Its not impossible to move these. But it would take a lot of time. I haven't heard anything about them opening an extra platform. And I work on the tracks.
    I have read somwere else that the Platform was built for the purpouse of use whilst Liverpool Central Station was undergoing refurbishment works during the 19.70's.

I think it was in use when they were building the deep level platform for the wirral line.

Also can anyone plaese tell me if the Waterloo Tunel is the one that you can see to the left as you leave Liverpool Central towards Morrfeilds and Southport etc which was the part of the origional Wirral Line.?

Thumbs up spellow..

Thank,s mike....... i think the video on you tube is super, i always wanted
    to know what was under county road, i,ve been told that there were
    platforms still down there but how long for, i alway,s thought it would
    make a great route for the mersey tram...which has been scraped or has it.....these yob,s who vandlise our train,s & buses should be sent down to clean up the mess that has been dumped on our tracks around liverpool.. ps i love the engine sound of the class 20.....choo choo.....

Quote Originally Posted by John_142 View Post
    Also can anyone plaese tell me if the Waterloo Tunel is the one that you can see to the left as you leave Liverpool Central towards Morrfeilds and Southport etc which was the part of the origional Wirral Line.?
    That tunnel you are talking about is called the Stock Interchange. No passenger trains use that part of the line. It is used for sending empty stock to the wirral line from the northern line. Its also a very dirty part of the world

Also if you walk down that part of the line you'll end up in James Street

Also if you walk down that part of the line you'll end up in James Street
    Yes thanks for that i knew it went to james street as it is part of the old wirral line as i have seen photos in a book of trains at Liverpool Central boarding for Rock Ferry from the now Northern Line Southport Bound Platform.

But was wondering were waterloo tunnel actually is.?

I've not heard of the Waterloo tunnel. I'll look into it though. A lot of places have 'local' names. The local lad call the Birkenhead park branch from Ham Square the 'Dive Under'.

Also I work on Merseyrail and not on the Main line. So if it is part of that I might not know it too well. I've not worked on that part of the Railway for about 7 years!

Also most tunnel names refer to the street name on the surface above ground.

eg. Hinderton field tunnel (by birkenhead central)

Maybe waterloo tunnel in near Waterloo road.

Also most tunnel names refer to the street name on the surface above ground.

eg. Hinderton field tunnel (by birkenhead central)

Maybe waterloo tunnel in near Waterloo road.

----
    It is the one they keep talking about re-oppeing to link the Merseyrail up to Edge Hill again.

I have seen pictures of it on the Old Liverpool Railways web site but wondered where it acctually is in Liverpool.?

There is already a link to the merseyrail from edge hill. Towards the olive mount end of edge hill. It comes out at bootle junction where there are points to move across to the merseyrail.

Engineering trains use this branch all the time. Also freight trains use that line a lot during the day and night.

I really can't see them opening a "new" line which would cost millions. I can't see what profit they would make by opening that tunnel again.

Let face it, they only do things these days yo make profit. If you can see how they would make profit then please let me know.

Well, the two disused tunnels (victoria/wapping) both go under some of the least "connected" areas of Liverpool and both head up to edge hill and could therefore easily be linked back into the merseyrail network if the bootle branch is 3rd railed as LFC want.

The University and residential traffic alone would probably be enough to justify re-opening those tunnels. The original merseyrail loop & link was designed with this in mind, so the spurs have already been dug and construction of something like that wouldn't disrupt the network as much as if the spurs weren't already there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...Merseyrail.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John_142 View Post
    The Waterloo Tunnel is still as built in the early 1800s. Nothing has been cut into it being one long tunnel from Edge Hill to the Costco Car park, where the Waterloo Goods Yard Depot was. This goods depot was closed down in the 1880s or so. The line was extended over the Dock Road and into the new Riverside Station at te Pier Head. A policeman had to hold up Dock Rd tarffic as the train went across the road. There was one station on the Waterloo Tunnel at the Fontenoy cutting. Parts of the old station is still there. The Waterloo Tunnel was closed in 1972 along with Riverside Station. The station at the Fontenoy cutting? I'm don't know when that closed, I assume well before 1972.

As Central Docks is to be heavily built up with residential apartments, it makes sense to rebuild a station at the end of the tunnel. The line could also join the Merseyrail Northern line at this point. Fontenoy could be brought bacjk into use and staions are seriously proposed at London Road by cutting a station into the tunnel.

As the centre and dock areas are to be heavily built up with apartments, both the Wapping and Waterloo tunnels will be brought back into use. That is what Merseyrail propose.

Another tunnel that is ripe for re-use is the Dingle Tunnel and underground Dingle station which is still intact. A gantry would need to be built taking trains from the Herculaneum Dock exit of the tunnel, which is high up on the cliff side, to the lower level Merseyrail line beneath. This would re-generate the Dingle area. The original plan was to extend the Overhead further inland from Dingle, but it never came about. If the city increases its population, extending the tunnel may make sense in the future.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar

yes the station at the fontenoy cutting in the waterloo tunnel is a mystery it was called hodson station as it used to be on the road hodson street witch the old bridge that crosses the cutting used to be thats the only bit of the road left after the fontenoy gardens closed down the whole area was redeveloped this cutting now though would make a great station also a station at london road by the national express coach stops you can still see the old round vent for the waterloo tunnel by the main entrance also another by the royal hospital this would be great for hospital traffic and university traffic also as the waterloo tunnel is right next to the northern line as it goes underground to moorfields a station has been planned there called vauxhall this would connect the lines that just need to curve into the tunnel entrance i think merseyrail plan to use the waterloo tunnel first to extend the merseyrail network the wapping tunnel is not as in a busy area as the waterloo tunnel work has already started on the waterloo tunnel if you look from the train as you pass the site you will see what i mean

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oritelad View Post
    yes the station at the fontenoy cutting in the waterloo tunnel is a mystery it was called hodson station as it used to be on the road hodson street witch the old bridge that crosses the cutting used to be thats the only bit of the road left after the fontenoy gardens closed down the whole area was redeveloped
    The station would have been there much before Fontenoy Gardens was ever built. When was it decommissioned?

this cutting now though would make a great station also a station at london road by the national express coach stops. You can still see the old round vent for the waterloo tunnel by the main entrance also another by the royal hospital this would be great for hospital traffic and university traffic also as the waterloo tunnel is right next to the northern line as it goes underground to Moorfields. A station has been planned there called Vauxhall, this would connect the lines that just need to curve into the tunnel entrance. I think merseyrail plan to use the waterloo tunnel first to extend the merseyrail network. The wapping tunnel is not as in a busy area as the waterloo tunnel work has already started on the waterloo tunnel if you look from the train as you pass the site you will see what i mean
    Where is this work? At the end by Costco? Both tunnels will run through, or serve, busy areas when construction is more advanced on the Central Docks and South End docks. and bit between. If developers know a station was to be built in a certain location they would be attracted to build in that location. For e.g., if the Dingle station was to be re-commissioned, developers would want to built around that station and then re-generation. Just as the Brunswick Station has been an attraction for development around Brunswick and Herculaneum Docks areas.

Not using this wonderful underground legacy of our forefathers is nothing but irresponsible.

The Hodson St station. This was in a cutting with a tunnel in and out at either end of the platforms. As was St James station on Parly. I always refer to these stations as "semi-underground" stations, as that is what they are.

Hodson St Station. Is this station on the 1850 map? Someone has that on this forum. Would be interesting.

The city has to extend the rail system, especially the underground aspect. Cars have to be pushed back and the city given back to the people. The wasteland called The Strand should be pedestrianised, with added attractions - think Ramblas in Barcelona. As should be much of the Dock Rd. This urban motorway divides the city from the water spaces.

Note: please use capital letters, commas and full stops.
    :-)
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    The station would have been there much before Fontenoy Gardens was ever built. When was it decommissioned?

Where is this work? At the end by Costco? Both tunnels will run through, or serve, busy areas when construction is more advanced on the Central Docks and South End docks. and bit between. If developers know a station was to be built in a certain location they would be attracted to build in that location. For e.g., if the Dingle station was to be re-commissioned, developers would want to built around that station and then re-generation. Just as the Brunswick Station has been an attraction for development around Brunswick and Herculaneum Docks areas.

Not using this wonderful underground legacy of our forefathers is nothing but irresponsible.

The Hodson St station. This was in a cutting with a tunnel in and out at either end of the platforms. As was St James station on Parly. I always refer to these stations as "semi-underground" stations, as that is what they are.

Hodson St Station. Is this station on the 1850 map? Someone has that on this forum. Would be interesting.

The city has to extend the rail system, especially the underground aspect. Cars have to be pushed back and the city given back to the people. The wasteland called The Strand should be pedestrianised, with added attractions - think Ramblas in Barcelona. As should be much of the Dock Rd. This urban motorway divides the city from the water spaces.

Note: please use capital letters, commas and full stops.
    :-)
    "Photographs of the SIte of the Waterloo Tunnel would be great"

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast