Thread: James Freeman. Wheelwright.

Default James Freeman. Wheelwright.

Can anyone please help.
    My G/G Grandfather James Freeman was a wheelwright, I assume working in the West Derby area, and according to the 1851 their address was Mason Street 1 Court West Derby. I have just seen the thread dated July 2007 by jhens 247. The pictures look grim, is there any further information on this area, they also lived at 9 Union Court, Bolton Street.
    Any information would be welcome, thank you.
    Stan.

Default James Freeman, Wheelwright.

I believe that that the James Freeman you are refering to is my Great Great Grandfather, he had a son James who worked as a butcher, he married Emily Mary Harvey in 1896, and some time later moved to Wrexham, where he managed a Butchers dept. They had eleven children in all, my grandmother Muriel being the youngest.

James Freeman born c 1849 was a wheelwright and he married Alice Brownhill in 1870, they had six children Frederick, Edith, Arthur, Anne, James and I think Lilian ( the census is not clearly written).

His father also James, was born 1831 and married Sarah Penny in 1848 they had two children James and Peter.

James(1831) had a sister Mary born in 1833, I have found the records of the family but cannot make out the names of the parents, both 30 at the time of the 1841 census.

Hope this is useful, are we related?

regards

Quote Originally Posted by stanfree View Post
    Can anyone please help.
    My G/G Grandfather James Freeman was a wheelwright, I assume working in the West Derby area, and according to the 1851 their address was Mason Street 1 Court West Derby. I have just seen the thread dated July 2007 by jhens 247. The pictures look grim, is there any further information on this area, they also lived at 9 Union Court, Bolton Street.
    Any information would be welcome, thank you.
    Stan.
    Mason Street then came under the district of West Derby but it can now be found in the area of Edge Hill. If you are not up on the history of the area, then you should point your browser to www.williamsontunnels.com for the Joseph Williamson story. I've got lots of postcards/pictures of Mason Street and surrounding roads from that time so PM me your e-mail addy!

Blog Entries

The LRO has a few pictures of Mason Street and pictures of the actual courts that were on the east side of the street. The courts have all gone nowdays and the street is a pretty run-down grotspot but the Williamson Tunnels are just round the corner and Abercromby Square is nice for a picnic so you could combine two visits if you ever felt like venturing there!