Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Everton Valley

Default Everton Valley

Hi There
    Does anybody remember what was on Everton Valley in between the Valley Pub and the Bank at the bottom of the Valley were the flats are now. I have seen old pictures and they look like builders yards but not to sure can anybody help cheers Ged

Debra

I was born in Everton Valley , as i remember it the was big houses on the same side as the pub , we lived in rooms , the house was owned by Johnny Morrisey who played for Everton , the there was the bank , and over the road was Pobjoy's jewellers and Harry Quuins bike shop .. Opposite the house i remember the bus stop and Barn's sweet shop , i cant remember what else was there though .. I'll ask my Dad , he'll know .

George

Don't recall any flats being at the bottom of everton valley? there where hi-rise flats at the junction of scotland Road and Boundry Road,behind those flats where Hi-rise flats on Great Homer Street.

What type of flats?

Here's a pic below of Everton Valley which Ged F posted elsewhere,the bank you can see opposite the pub and on the pub side further up(Blue Gates) I'm sure that was either a builders yard or council depot? opposite the pub is the Barcleys Bank,its closed down now and in recent times was a Upholstrey funiture business.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	derbyarmsmar73evvalleys.jpg 
Views:	1154 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	12572

Not sure where u mean. Notre Dame convent school was on the left as you drop down from St Domingo Road towards Netherfield Road (do you mean those flats) . Me ma went there.

George

Quote Originally Posted by underworld View Post
    Not sure where u mean. Notre Dame convent school was on the left as you drop down from St Domingo Road towards Netherfield Road (do you mean those flats) . Me ma went there.
    Hah,those ones,they were maisonettes not flats.

Ha? Okay then the flats off Great Homer Street then!

George

I can't realy pinpoint what the yard was he's on about,even though I was forever going around that area when I wus a lad.

Lived in Albion Street which was the next street to St Domingo Rd,went to Venice street school and I used to either cut through Tommy white gardens or sometimes take the long way round which meant going right down the bottom of St Domingo and up past Notre Dame girls school.

Quentin_Sharples

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard68 View Post
    Hi There
    Does anybody remember what was on Everton Valley in between the Valley Pub and the Bank at the bottom of the Valley were the flats are now. I have seen old pictures and they look like builders yards but not to sure can anybody help cheers Ged
    What period are you interested in?
    I might have some information.

The Record Office have post-war Ordnance Survey maps (called 50 inch) which are a large enough scale to identify anything.

Chances are they have copies from each decade.
    Last edited by Quentin_Sharples; 01-21-2010 at 12:32 PM. Reason: To add something.

George

Ok here the info.

The red brick build next door but one from the pub up is or was the Lyra or Lydol? Theater at one time,the blue gates was some sort of works,next to that was the council depot...knew there was a council depot on the block somewhere.

I think Rainfords had a yard in Everton Valley

There will always be people who take things the wrong way.
    Click HERE to hear a clicky sound.

George

Quote Originally Posted by Stanier View Post
    I think Rainfords had a yard in Everton Valley
    The Blue gates works,firm began with a P but for the life of me cannot remember the name.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    The Blue gates works,firm began with a P but for the life of me cannot remember the name.
    The one I was referring to was William Rainfords, 11-13 Everton Valley, Builders Merchants, Haulage and Demolition, Plant Hire and Ready Mixed Concrete. I think it also was a brickworks.
    There will always be people who take things the wrong way.
    Click HERE to hear a clicky sound.

Hi the period I am interested are the 50's 60's and 70's for that area
    Cheers

Hello George Thanks for the Pic. now there is an argument with the inlaws and i was wondering if you can settle it On the left of the Derby Arms a bit further down on the picture is that another pub if so what was it called cheers mate Gerard

Quentin_Sharples

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard68 View Post
    Hello George Thanks for the Pic. now there is an argument with the inlaws and i was wondering if you can settle it On the left of the Derby Arms a bit further down on the picture is that another pub if so what was it called cheers mate Gerard
    As far as I know the only pubs in Everton Valley were the Derby Arms and the Valley.
    Next door to the Derby Arms was what remained of the Lyric Theatre.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast