Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Merseyside Halls, Estates and Dwellings

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Ok, video number 2 is Live!

Croxteth Hall Video Part 1 - Outside and down stairs. It's worth watching through just too hear me scare the living daylights out of myself!!

Croxteth Hall Video Part 2 - Up Stairs

Can someone please check that these are working fine, that they play 'till the end? I'm having trouble with them this morning. If you have watched it, did it work?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Yes Kev, both vids played to the end...I quite enjoyed watching them, ..well done.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
    Yes Kev, both vids played to the end...I quite enjoyed watching them, ..well done.
    Thanks - it must be a problem this end......
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

scouserdave

Cracking vids Kev. Never seen the interior of Crocky Hall before, even though I used to go egging/conker collecting within 100 yards of the place when the whole estate was off limits to the great unwashed of Canny Farm and Liverpool

Anyone recall the gamekeepers that prowled the estate?

Quote Originally Posted by FKoE View Post
    hahahaha.. oh jeez!!!
    That was so funny I know that's not what you intended Kev but it certainly makes you smile,thanks for the excellent videos.

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    Cracking vids Kev. Never seen the interior of Crocky Hall before, even though I used to go egging/conker collecting within 100 yards of the place when the whole estate was off limits to the great unwashed of Canny Farm and Liverpool

Anyone recall the gamekeepers that prowled the estate?
    Hiya Dave it's good to hear from you again,I remember egging and looking for conkers down conker lane and I've heard about the gamekeepers,I believe they were pretty handy with the salt pellets.

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Hiya Dave it's good to hear from you again,I remember egging and looking for conkers down conker lane and I've heard about the gamekeepers,I believe they were pretty handy with the salt pellets.
    Hiya Paul,
    Conker Lane was our El Dorado as kids in Canny Farm. We used to get there by running across the field near the Alt, close to Crocky Hall Lane. The gamekeepers were mental. I still have a Liverpool FC scrapbook from 60s/70s. In the back I recorded the prices of birds eggs and comments about the "Gameys",

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    Cracking vids Kev. Never seen the interior of Crocky Hall before
    No, I guess most people havn't seen it. I was very lucky to have wondered around unchallenged, wherever I wanted to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    That was so funny I know that's not what you intended Kev but it certainly makes you smile,thanks for the excellent videos.
    I could see the humour as it happened tbh. It suddenly made me realise I was going to make the vid public . Proper Most Haunted stylee
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Ha,Ha! Kev I had a laugh at that

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Allerton - Once home to the Fletcher family covering 140 years. The first house on the site was built in the early 1800s which was destroyed by fire. The second house was built in 1815.

November 1944 was gutted by fire again. The shell remains which shows fragments of its classical design. The obelisk at the side of the house had nothing to do with it, it was erected before 'Allerton' was built by occupants of Allerton Hall near by.

Five miles from Liverpool Town Hall, the four sides match up with the compass points. It is riddled with holes, possible from rifle shots.

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Park Lodge, Sefton Park Rd (which used to be part of Lodge Lane). It is believed to contain some of the original structure of King Johns Tudor hunting Lodge which gave its name to Lodge Lane. The fireplaces inside are the same in detail as some in Queen Elizabeths Keep at Kenworth Castle.

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Sudley House (under restoration).

At Sudley you can see the only Victorian merchant's art collection still held in its original setting. Ship owner and merchant George Holt bought the paintings during the late 19th century. His daughter Emma bequeathed the house and its contents to the city in 1944.

The history of Sudley House begins in the first decade of the 19th century.

Nicholas Robinson, a rich corn merchant, bought the land for £4500. The exact date of the house is unknown, and neither is the architect. Some exterior features suggest it may be the work of Thomas Harrison. He was working on a number of commissions in Liverpool between 1811 and 1815.

Nicholas Robinson was living in Sudley House by 1823 and the building was complete by the following year. Robinson was Mayor of Liverpool in 1828-9 and lived in the house until his death in 1854. His two daughters continued to live there until their own deaths in 1883.

Sudley was then sold to George Holt. He made many alterations to the property. He transferred the main entrance from the eastern to the northern front, creating a garden veranda on the eastern side. He extended the western end, which included building the tower.

Many of the features added since the 1880s can still be seen. The fireplaces, lincrusta wallpapers and oak panelling are still in place. The carved marble fireplace in the dining room bears the Holt family crest. It may have been acquired on one of the family's trips to Italy.

Today Sudley House is one of the few Victorian homes that still has many of its original features intact. It is also the only surviving Victorian merchant art collection in Britain still hanging in its original location.

Sudley House contains fabulous works by Gainsborough, Reynolds, Landseer and Turner, all displayed amongst original Victorian décor. The house itself is surrounded by pleasant gardens and parkland. A visit to Sudley House is a step back in time to an oasis of calm and beauty.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Exclamation Twighlight Tours of Speke Hall

Twighlight Tours of Speke Hall begin this weekend.

Saturday, October 14, and again on Saturday, November 11.

Lisa Downes, house and

collections' manager at Speke, who is organising the event, said: "Tours will be given by costumed guides, who will be telling tales of the darker side of

what life was like at Speke over the years, including religious persecution and the dangers of being a Catholic under a Protestant monarchy, and beliefs,

myths and legends associated with the house."

To add to the atmosphere, musicians in Tudor costume from the Linton Ensemble will play music of the period

in the Great Hall.

There are four Twilight Tours, at 7pm, 7.30pm. 8pm and 8.30pm.
    Tickets are £8

including refreshments and must be booked in advance. For details call 0151-427 7231.
    Last edited by Kev; 10-11-2006 at 08:09 PM.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Speke Hall Twighlight Tour

I wasn't aloud to take any pictures for security reasons which

was heart wrenching considering the treat that was to come. A tour of the house, our guide was extremely knowledgable and fascinating to listen to and live

music, the musicians dressed in period costume in The Great Hall.

The stories, the priest holes, it was all fantastic and I would recommend a trip and a

tour.

[IMG]h

ttp://static.flickr.com/92/269552930_ded0255d4a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://static.flickr.com/95/26955

2783_696a40954c.jpg[/IMG]

n

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Default Allerton

Allerton Tower - The once beautiful Italianate residence off Woolton Rd. Designed in 1847 by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes the Architect

of St. Georges Hall, for Sir Hardman Earle, of the Earle Family, was director of the Liverpool to Manchester Railway and a witness to

Huskisson's fatal accident on its opening day.

Built in 78

acres of grounds, once part of the Manor of Allerton. The main house was unfortunately demolished 1937 and all that remains is what you can see below with

out houses at the

rear:

Last edited by Kev; 11-04-2007 at 06:09 PM.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast