Thread: Liverpool wartime website

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    The weird thing was that their father had gone down at sea too - off the coast of NewFoundland !

The mother was left with one remaining son & daughter.
    Jeez, when you hear of these personal stories from the war, it really brings it home to you the futility of it all.

4 Fagan brothers, no relation to me that I know of but from my old area, all went, found by Spike when he was looking up the Eldon St war memorial.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    4 Fagan brothers, no relation to me that I know of but from my old area, all went, found by Spike when he was looking up the Eldon St war memorial.
    It was three brothers Ged, unless ive missed one.

here they are http://www.freewebs.com/eldonmemww1/notonmemorial.htm

These stories should be added, dont let them go unremembered.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    It was three brothers Ged, unless ive missed one.

here they are http://www.freewebs.com/eldonmemww1/notonmemorial.htm

These stories should be added, dont let them go unremembered.
    Thanks for that Spike. A bloody tragedy.

Blog Entries

I had an uncle who was torpedoed three times. The last time he was the longest survivor alone on a raft. An American sailor beat him in the end somewhere in the Pacific. Lost two great uncles in the First World War too.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    I had an uncle who was torpedoed three times. The last time he was the longest survivor alone on a raft. An American sailor beat him in the end somewhere in the Pacific. Lost two great uncles in the First World War too.
    Submit them Pablo

Blog Entries

Submit them Pablo
    I'll have to find out more info. Don't know their names or units. I shall find out though.

I'll have to find out more info. Don't know their names or units. I shall find out though.
    If you find their names Pablo I could have a look for you, just PM when you have them.

I had an uncle who was torpedoed three times. The last time he was the longest survivor alone on a raft. An American sailor beat him in the end somewhere in the Pacific.
    That is a great story Pablo, do you know much about it. Even his name with that story can be added.

Blog Entries

That is a great story Pablo, do you know much about it. Even his name with that story can be added.
    His name was Jimmy Kenny. He served in the Royal Navy during the war and until the late sixties. He was on submarines. I shall try and get more info.

hi there , just a shot in the dark , was wondering if i could get any advice on searching for my ancestors, my grandfather peter burns worked on the docks,im estimating he would of been born around 1930, maybe worked there in the 60,s i never met him he is now deceased, which i think happened before i was born. i dont have contact with my grandmother any more, she lives in aintree. i left liverpool when i was only 9, i am desperate to find out my roots. I have a lot of memories of liverpool, and miss seeing the docks my father used to take me to when i was a child. big up to the scousers. would be grateful of any useful info xxxxx

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marcia2008 View Post
    hi there , just a shot in the dark , was wondering if i could get any advice on searching for my ancestors, my grandfather peter burns worked on the docks,im estimating he would of been born around 1930, maybe worked there in the 60,s i never met him he is now deceased, which i think happened before i was born. i dont have contact with my grandmother any more, she lives in aintree. i left liverpool when i was only 9, i am desperate to find out my roots. I have a lot of memories of liverpool, and miss seeing the docks my father used to take me to when i was a child. big up to the scousers. would be grateful of any useful info xxxxx
    Ask Ged,Martin or Mr Spike. Good luck!!

has anyone spotted any info on george morton and madeline nee thorpe on there?? They died in december 1940 at eldon place.???

Default Lucky us.

Hi Spike, this thread makes great reading. I don't know whether my story will fit but here goes. I was born in my Aunts house on Herbert st. right next to Walton Hospital, April 17 1941, just in time for the May blitz. However my mum, two sisters and brother lived in the end house on Romley st. When the sirens went off they would hide under the stairs instead of going out to the shelter. Then when me mam said it was time for me to show myself she took the kids and went to my aunts house on Herbert st.where I was born. Anyway when they eventually got back to the house on Romley st. the back of the house had been blown in by a bomb and all the debris from the blast had finished up under the stairs. They would have all been killed. Shortly after this my Grandma (Nena) packed us all up and we were evacuated to Clay in Wales. Fortunately we all survived the war. My Dad was in Africa when I was born and he was captured and shipped to Italy. He managed to escape and travel to Switzerland where he stayed until he was demobbed.

Sorry Oldscouse I missed your post.

Yes this is what we are after.

I will pm you.

Cheers