In a week that has seen celebrity legends such as Tony Curtis and Norman Wisdom depart this earth, I would like to pay tribute to one of my own local legends who has sadly died, Mr Joe Devine.

I first met Jobo when I was in Primary school in the early 70s as he would walk and train his Golden Retrievers, Caldy and then Duke on the fields near the school. Little did I know that our paths would cross again some twenty years later when I moved into 16 Grosvenor Street and became his street neighbour as he lived in 4B.

A humble and private man, it wasn't until about 10 years after this that I was told of his fascinating archive of 1980s photographs which he then kindly allowed me to use in my 3rd book and then extensively on my site. He appeared in Paul Sudbury's film documentary 'Gardens of Stone' offering some first hand experience of the area when the new tunnel was being excavated, talking of how kids were deprived of sleep as dynamite was blasting during its construction.

'Lizzie', the latest Golden Retriever in his long line of faithful friends had only just died a few weeks ago too.

My heartfelt sympathies go out to his family.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Joe Devine. R.I.P.