Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Bookshop Philip Son and Nephew

very apt

Now when I think about it the old P S & N shop would be a great place to film Harry Potter scenes, it was a great place to rummage through.

Quote Originally Posted by squiggs View Post
    Now when I think about it the old P S & N shop would be a great place to film Harry Potter scenes, it was a great place to rummage through.
    yes it would

Default Rummaging

My parents lost their income from PS & N when it went out of business in
    the seventies, but they fortunately kept some of the books. I often rummage about in my garage, and come up with something incredible. For example, I have
    a 1920 George Philip World Atlas, hilariously titled the 'shorter' edtition: it weighs about 5 LBs! It's huge!
    I never got to see the shops, being in NZ at the time, but I did visit my great-uncle Jack Philip at Birkenhead in the 1980's. He had been one of the Directors for many years.
    loved the photos posted here. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Actually, it was much bigger than it looked from the outside and was spread over three (?) floors.
    It was demolished and Wetherspoons built premises on the site.
    I remember this shop well, bought my own first books there. It was certainly a "rabbit warren" of a building, occupying 3 floors, with quite a narrow and congested entrance at No.7 Whitechapel where Barclays Bank was until recently. That front part of the premises still stands. I believe only the rear of the premises, with the shop's old rear exit was demolished to build the pub. Looking back the building was probably a serious fire hazard, given its narrow passageways and wooden staircases, the amount of paper in its products and the crowded throngs that gathered there in its heyday.

In the 1860's the business was at 51 South Castle Street.

Blog Entries

Default Phillip Son & Nephews

As a 14yr old in 1946 I used to brouse in there ,fascinated with the various nibs ,books etc. afew years later as a seaman I often bought books to take away with me ,one being a large English/Spanish dictionary because I was studying Spanish & another was 'The quare fella' byDavid Bone ,a great nautical yarn . Ron
    Last edited by Ron Ham; 07-21-2009 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ham View Post
    As a 14yr old in 1946 I used to brouse in there ,fascinated with the various nibs ,books etc. afew years later as a seaman I often bought books to take away with me ,one being a large English/Spanish dictionary because I was studying Spanish & another was 'The ***** fella' byDavid Bone ,a great nautical yarn . Ron This is ridiculous ! the title of the book has just been deleted , I can assure you there was no sexual conotations in the title , as it was a common expression meaning an odd character amongst Liverpudlians once upon a time !
    Hello Ron

Sorry about the deletion. I am sure the word was an innocuous as meant by you but the system will do that if it identifies what it thinks is an objectionable word. The way to do it is to do this: "co*cky fellow" or similar to get around that problem. Good luck.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Do you remember Charles Wilson's bookshop at 20a Church Alley?

I still proudly own a big dinosaur book my parents bought me in there for my tenth birthday- so that would have been 1963. It cost ?1 10 shillings, a huge amount for them but I was so happy to get it!

Wilson's was the first bookshop I ever remember visiting and I thought it was a wonderland- something that's stayed with me ever since!
    Chester: a Virtual Stroll Around the Walls-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info

The Liverpool Gallery-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/gallery/liverpool.html

The Chester Shop
    http://www.thechestershop.com

Chester & Liverpool Guided Walks
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/guidedwalks.html

Phillip, Sons and Nephews. I used to love going in there! I remember getting my first horror anthology ( the 3rd Pan Book of Horror Stories edited by Herbert Van Thal ) from there which lead to a lifetime ( so far ) of reading sci-fi, horror and fantasy novels! I'd go there and get a book and then whiz over to Beaver radio and listen to the latest " progressive " rock album and then walk round to Hesseys and drool at the unaffordable Fender Stratocasters in the window!...
    Negotium Perambulans in Tenebris

Quote Originally Posted by delzx7r View Post
    Phillip, Sons and Nephews. I used to love going in there! I remember getting my first horror anthology ( the 3rd Pan Book of Horror Stories edited by Herbert Van Thal ) from there which lead to a lifetime ( so far ) of reading sci-fi, horror and fantasy novels! I'd go there and get a book and then whiz over to Beaver radio and listen to the latest " progressive " rock album and then walk round to Hesseys and drool at the unaffordable Fender Stratocasters in the window!...
    Hello delzx7

Unfortunately old-style bookstores are becoming increasingly rare with the bad economy and sales occurring more on-line than anywhere. We should encourage whatever bookstores still remain. They are a vanishing breed!

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

Default old bookshops

I hope I may be forgiven for digressing a little here, but as a 12yr old I would go into the city & brouse in all the older parts of the city ,exploring back alleys etc. & I always made a point at week ends of visiting an bookshop in Bold St about half way along on the right hand side , this was during the war , it was manned by a very old man in a long black coat & scarf & the place had been collecting dust for years ,with second hand books & magazines back to Victorian times stacked to the ceiling ,a veritable paradise to me & he only charged me pennies for the old periodicals & one item I got was a portfolio of all the worlds ocean& wind currents for everymonth of the year , especially for sailing ship officers , which he let me have for nothing ! does anyone else remember that far back . Ron

Quote Originally Posted by delzx7r View Post
    That mention of Pan horror stories,brought back some memories,used to have them all!

Yes it was a great bookshop they used to have the dealership for ordnance surveys maps which was very useful.

Partsky

You could always get Poetry books in Phillip, Son and Nephew. I was a real saddo at School and loved poetry and I remember buying their poetry anthologies. It was a proper bookstore. Someone has already mentioned the wonderful old bookstore in Berry Street. You could smell the old books from outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ham View Post
    I hope I may be forgiven for digressing a little here, but as a 12yr old I would go into the city & brouse in all the older parts of the city ,exploring back alleys etc. & I always made a point at week ends of visiting an bookshop in Bold St about half way along on the right hand side , this was during the war , it was manned by a very old man in a long black coat & scarf & the place had been collecting dust for years ,with second hand books & magazines back to Victorian times stacked to the ceiling ,a veritable paradise to me & he only charged me pennies for the old periodicals & one item I got was a portfolio of all the worlds ocean& wind currents for everymonth of the year , especially for sailing ship officers , which he let me have for nothing ! does anyone else remember that far back . Ron
    Do you remember the bookshop in Upper Dawson Street next to the Playhouse, just before the open air pet market.
    When you walked inside the floor was flagged just like the outside pavement.
    Also the secondhand bookshop in Newington on the side by Lewis's. It was pulled down when they built the paint shop on the corner.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast