Thread: Merseyside Development Corporation

Post Merseyside Development Corporation

Was doing a bit of research, and stumbled across this in the national archives:

http://archive.liverpool.gov.uk/dser...dsqField=RefNo

Item 39 is a Brian Jacques cassette...I was wondering if anyone knew what it was, and what "IGF" meant.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by JustVisiting View Post
    Item 39 is a Brian Jacques cassette...I was wondering if anyone knew what it was, and what "IGF" meant.
    IGF is often used for International Garden Festival?

Mike

Was doing a bit of research, and stumbled across this in the national archives:

http://archive.liverpool.gov.uk/dser...dsqField=RefNo

Cheers.
    Ginger is probably right about IGF. The tape was produced in 1984 and the copyright is "Trekatape Ltd."
    It is a walking tour of the city center narrated by Brian Jaques. My first visit after emmigrating was in 1984 and a friend gave me a copy as a souvenier, I still have it but unfortunately don't have a player to play it on. The tourist board of the time used to rent walkman type players to tourists and let them keep the tape I think.
    My camera batteries are low,I will post a pic when I have charged them.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Here it is.

Fantastic forum this, most questions answered intantly. impossible ones take a while.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

I suppose you could ask him yourself...

On Wednesday, July 9, Brian will be at Pritchards Bookshop on 54 Brows Lane in Formby, Merseyside.
    taken from http://www.redwall.org

Don't spoil it and tell me its a different Brian Jacques

Mike

Same Brian Jaques, I knew him back in the 70's when he was a driver at Reeces in Hawke St. driving a wholesale milk delivery lorry. Also from when he had a folk club in Bold St.
    Having looked again at the catalogue entry I wonder if this is the same tape as mine. I don't remember if it had a reference to the IGF.
    I'm a few thousand miles away from Formby just now and I don't know if the bus goes that far.
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by GingerTheCat View Post
    I suppose you could ask him yourself...

taken from http://www.redwall.org

Don't spoil it and tell me its a different Brian Jacques

Mike
    Actually I'm not from Liverpool

And the stop was canceled, he fell and is on crutches!

Thanks for the quick response shytalk! How long is the cassette? I'd be interested in finding one of these.

Also I had no idea he ran a folk club. What was it called?
    Last edited by JustVisiting; 07-07-2008 at 10:47 PM.

Actually I'm not from Liverpool

And the stop was canceled, he fell and is on crutches!

Thanks for the quick response shytalk! How long is the cassette? I'd be interested in finding one of these.

Also I had no idea he ran a folk club. What was it called?
    Hi JV, As you see from the pic. it is a 100 min. cassette and is 2 sided. If I can borrow a player I will listen to it again, I haven't heard it in over 20 years. I wouldn't part with it because the mate who gave it to me died tragically not long after. It is just a description of how to get to the museums, art gallery, cathedrals etc. with some history.
    The club was some kind of catholic club above the shops on the odd number side of Bold St. It might have been Knights of Columbus I can't remember. He had it one night a week and had a great girl singer called Liz. Anyone could just arrive and perform. Brian did his famous monologues which were hilarious.
    All this happened in the mid 70's before he became famous through Radio Merseyside.
    If you are interested read Gerry Jones' website there is a copy of "The Marmalade Tom' on there, this was one of Brians monologues.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gerry.jones/writers.html
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    Hi JV, As you see from the pic. it is a 100 min. cassette and is 2 sided. If I can borrow a player I will listen to it again, I haven't heard it in over 20 years. I wouldn't part with it because the mate who gave it to me died tragically not long after. It is just a description of how to get to the museums, art gallery, cathedrals etc. with some history.
    The club was some kind of catholic club above the shops on the odd number side of Bold St. It might have been Knights of Columbus I can't remember. He had it one night a week and had a great girl singer called Liz. Anyone could just arrive and perform. Brian did his famous monologues which were hilarious.
    All this happened in the mid 70's before he became famous through Radio Merseyside.
    If you are interested read Gerry Jones' website there is a copy of "The Marmalade Tom' on there, this was one of Brians monologues.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gerry.jones/writers.html
    Missed the 100 minutes bit initially in the photo, which I appreciate you providing btw. I'm impressed you were able to locate the tape.

If I were a gambler, I'd strongly bet on that Liz being the same Liz that is his wife.

This is the sad tale of the Trekatape.
    I got a radio cassette player to listen to it. Bear in mind it is 24 years since it was last played. I played side one and it played well apart from the player having a humming sound. It is a walking tour of the city with songs now and again, quite pleasant to listen to. When it came to turning it over I found out that the end of the tape had broken off the spool. I took it apart and did some afro engineering ( can I say that in this world of political correctness?) on it and got it to work. I have heard both sides but I think if I play it again my repair might break so I am putting it back in storage.
    Winston Churchill

This is the sad tale of the Trekatape.
    I got a radio cassette player to listen to it. Bear in mind it is 24 years since it was last played. I played side one and it played well apart from the player having a humming sound. It is a walking tour of the city with songs now and again, quite pleasant to listen to. When it came to turning it over I found out that the end of the tape had broken off the spool. I took it apart and did some afro engineering ( can I say that in this world of political correctness?) on it and got it to work. I have heard both sides but I think if I play it again my repair might break so I am putting it back in storage.
    Ah, sad to hear. I appreciate the attempt though, and all the info! It might be worthwhile to investigate converting it to digital.

If I knew how I would. are there companies that do this?.

Winston Churchill

If I knew how I would. are there companies that do this?.
    There may be, but it is very easy to do yourself.

http://www.andybrain.com/archive/con...cd-digital.htm