Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Mann Island/ New Liverpool Museum Area

Quote Originally Posted by urchin View Post
    I think it looks infinitely better than it used to, although I do like classical buildings, I think a lot of negative comments could be the
    result of nostalgia, the taking away of buildings that were part of ones own childhood. I can empathise with that idea I have a bit
    of it myself. But hey they used to publicly hang people for nicking food and we are glad that has gone.
    It's got sweet f a to do with nostalgia.They are out of place in that area.How would you feel if they stuck something like on the Mall opposite Buck House or in Trafalgar Sq?

Liverpool Photographer Gerard Fleming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GNASHER View Post
    It's got sweet f a to do with nostalgia.They are out of place in that area.How would you feel if they stuck something like on the Mall opposite Buck House or in Trafalgar Sq?

Spot on Gnasher.... nothing to do at all with nostalgia..
    I never thought I'd like the new Lime St gateway... I do..

Same go's for the L1 development....fantastic for the city...

The Canal link is a great feature down The Pier Head...
    we had one chance to put decent buildings around the POL building...
    we blew it with all that modern shiny black shi.te...
    and the other crap around it ?...
    the ferry terminal building ?...awful..!
    Liverpool Days... << my website of Liverpool images

Not to worry thse building have only a 40 year life, it`s called planned obselence, look at the Royal liverpool Hospital soon to be rebuilt.
    My childrens schools and church have all gone while mine is still standing.
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

It looks like we willhave to put up with the Royal for a long time yet.The tales doing the rounds in the building game is it might start in the next 5 years but don't hold your breath.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Some fantastic interior pics already popping up on other forums - leaked out by the workies no doubt.

Here's an article by the NML regarding our particular interest.

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/m...culptures.aspx

New Museum of Liverpool has 150,000 visitors in two weeks

THE new Museum of Liverpool has welcomed more than 150,000 visitors since it opened its doors to the public two weeks ago.

The £72m waterfront attraction hit the landmark total yesterday.

Museum bosses revealed it has been averaging 12,500 visitors a day – three times the previous record set by National Museums Liverpool stablemate World Museum Liverpool – since it opened a fortnight ago today.

That included more than 13,000 people who flocked to the Mann Island site during its opening day on July 19.

Meanwhile, the record attendance so far was on Saturday, July 23, during the city’s waterfront weekend, when the venue extended its opening hours and 20,577 people came through the doors in 12 hours.

The Museum of Liverpool’s acting deputy director Zelda Baveystock said: “It has been a rollercoaster.

“We always knew there would be a high level of interest in the museum, but this is brilliant.

“We are delighted to have so many people wanting to come and see the results of our work.

“It does feel very, very busy.”

She said the Little Liverpool gallery, aimed at youngsters under six, had been operating at capacity, while the other galleries – People’s Republic, Wondrous Place and Global City – had also been thronged with crowds.

Ms Baveystock added: “It is testament to how many people worked on the project.

“We have had lots of people interacting with the displays, trying out things they have done or contributed to.”

NML bosses had estimated the Museum of Liverpool would attract more than 750,000 visitors in its first year, but that target looks set to be eclipsed, even if the current high visitor numbers settle down after the initial novelty of the new landmark and the busy school summer holidays.

The venue, which is free to visit, is the largest newly-built national museum in the UK in more than a century and features more than 6,000 objects across 8,000sq m of public space.

They include the stage where Beatles John Lennon and Paul McCartney first met in 1957; the first Ford Anglia off the Ford’s Halewood production line in 1963; 360° immersive films about football in Merseyside and The Beatles; cycling legend Chris Boardman’s famous Lotus Sport bike; and a reconstruction of typical court housing.

The second phase of the museum’s opening, which includes the Overhead Railway, History Detectives, Great Port and Kings Regiment galleries, is due to take place before Christmas.

Read More http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...#ixzz1Tr0FZfS5

Blog Entries

Talking

Couldn't reach the page your link gave, Ged. We both know where we stand on the issue, no need to debate it any further.
    Statistics, ****ed statistics, to quote another old timer.

Best wishes, Ged.
    Chas

Cheers Chas, you just can't argue with attendance figures - or so the kopites tell me

Museum of Liverpool visitor figures reach 250,000 in one month

by Catherine Jones, Liverpool EchoAug 16 2011

i
    THE new Museum of Liverpool was celebrating today after its visitor figures hit the 250,000 mark.

The £72m waterfront landmark opened four weeks ago today.

Museum bosses had predicted 78,000 visitors in the first month of opening, but the response from the public has been more than three times that with an average of 8,300 a day.

And the 250,000 figure equates to more than half the entire population of Liverpool, or five times the capacity of either Anfield or Goodison.

Among those who have dropped in to the Mann Island museum is current Reds’ star Jamie Carragher who paid a visit with his young family.

He said: “I really enjoyed the Wondrous Place gallery with all the sporting memorabilia. The film about Merseyside football is very special and really captures what it means to go to the match and be a Red or a Blue.

“I took the whole family and we all had a great time. I think the new museum will be massively popular not just with Merseysiders but also with tourists and visitors to the city too.”

The first phase of the new museum, which tells the story of Liverpool and its people, opened on July 19.

It includes the Wondrous Place and People’s Republic galleries on the second floor which both boast giant picture windows with views over the Albert Dock and Three Graces.

The Global City, Skylight and Little Liverpool galleries are also open to the public.

The second phase of the building, featuring the Overhead Railway, History Detectives, Great Port, and Kings Regiment galleries, is due to open before Christmas.

Museum of Liverpool director Janet Dugdale said: “The visitor figures are staggering. We’re thrilled with the success of the new museum.

“To get a quarter of a million people through the doors in the first month is fantastic. There’s a real buzz of excitement in the museum and it’s so nice to see so many people enjoying themselves.”

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...#ixzz1VHcCcLZO

Museum of Liverpool visitor figures reach 250,000 in one month
    Can yer quote me some figures this time next year please,Ged.

I'm still stumped how they came up with these figures?

Oh what fun you are George and your apparent happiness to dislike a Liverpool success story. Ah well, it takes all sorts as they say.

Just being honest,Ged....you cannot come up with a figure without some sort of way of documenting that figure with a flawless system and there is none being used there.

Basically its Hype to get joe blogs down there to see what all the fuss is about.

So naive George! All Uk's galleries give attendance figures, eg, The British museum, the most visited have just given figures as just under 6m for last year. If you've not been, you can't really comment fairly on the crowds that people are witnessing with their own two eyes and all remarking about but I won't bore you with good news stories as that goes against your grain.

So naive George! All Uk's galleries give attendance figures
    We know,but the museums cannot answer my Q,and thats how they know how many have passed through the doors? bearing in mind many visitors are returning visitors time and time again.

My estimate give or take a thousand would be 80,000 to the new museum and thats being generous.

Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast