Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Mann Island/ New Liverpool Museum Area

That actually looks good on the island.

Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    That actually looks good on the island.
    It does Max, the Porshe garage etc have vacated their premisses and have been empty for some time now. It would be great to see construction going on incl. the new museum!
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

In my view I don't think it's anything special in that picture but I think it will work in the flesh,the retail and cafes etc are essential in bringing the area back to life and it has the support of EH so it should fly through the planning stages unhindered,I think it will complement our new museum and breathe much neede life to this sometimes desolate area,I also love the idea of a public roof terrace,we could do with that now in this heatwave couldn't we? let's hope they can be on site by the end of the year.

It looks nice as a building but that totally ruins the lovely photo ops you get there of the Liverbuildings. When the water is still you get a fantastic reflection which will now be blocked by this new building. I better double check I have the photos I want before they do this

Thats going to be ruined imho.

Blog Entries

Lovely pics Pete, shame to loose that view.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I love modern architecture and I also love classical architecture, but these buildings are TOTALLY out of place!

It would be nice to have them somewhere else but Mann island is not the right place because that beautiful view will be totally ruined and I can guarantee give it 30 or 40 years and these will be torn down.

I am the first to criticise the council when new schemes have been blocked but this MUST be stopped as it is an act of outright vandalism.

It looks like the Royal Hospital they are ugly.

Don't get me wrong a lot of Modernist architecture is nice, in my view a low rise modern building should be built on that site like the silvery glass building in Newcastle by the Tyne Bridge, perhaps housing a botanical Winter garden?

I kinda like the colour of buildings to blend with their surrroundings like the way the apartments in Commutation Row blend in with St Georges Hall, the museum and art gallery, and the old T&G building etc. so I am really not sure about the black granite - it is going to be such a contrast to the surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie
    I kinda like the colour of buildings to blend with their surrroundings like the way the apartments in Commutation Row blend in with St Georges Hall, the museum and art gallery, and the old T&G building etc. so I am really not sure about the black granite - it is going to be such a contrast to the surroundings.
    It's going to be a contrast alright, perhaps it might look like Tower Hill on the Mersey.

As for Commutation row it's certainly an improvement on the dereliction that was there but it doesn't hold a candle to William Brown Street or St George's Hall and is typicl of the cheapo tat that has gone up in parts of the city centre in the last 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban
    It's going to be a contrast alright, perhaps it might look like Tower Hill on the Mersey.

As for Commutation row it's certainly an improvement on the dereliction that was there but it doesn't hold a candle to William Brown Street or St George's Hall and is typicl of the cheapo tat that has gone up in parts of the city centre in the last 10 years.
    Yes, I agree. I was just using it as an example regarding the colour of the building material.

Default I'm happy with it.

Pier Head poised
    Oct 3 2006
    by Nick Coligan, Liverpool Echo

CONTROVERSIAL plans for three black granite buildings on the site of the doomed Fourth Grace look set to go ahead.

Councillors are expected to approve the £120m scheme for Liverpool’s Mann Island at a meeting next week.

The meeting follows more than a year of debate about whether the site should be developed at all.

If approved, the three buildings of flats, offices, shops, bars and restaurants would flank the planned X-shaped New Museum of Liverpool on the city’s waterfront.

But some residents and heritage campaigners are still hoping the scheme, expected to create more than 900 jobs and entice 1.25 million visitors a year, will be turned down.

A council report says: “The development was never intended to mimic or be part of the Three Graces and, to emphasise this fact, the proposed building style and materials are a deliberate contrast.

“The scheme will bring very tangible regeneration benefits to the waterfront and the city as a whole.

“It will help repopulate the riverfront and will introduce increased animation and vibrancy in the form of leisure and cultural activities available for much of the day and evening.

“At present, the area is much underused and at times can feel desolate and isolated.

“The injection of people and appropriate activities will increase its attractiveness as a destination in its own right.”

The scheme, drawn up by developers Neptune and Countryside Properties, has the support of architecture experts at English Heritage and the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment.

Some local groups – including the Victorian Society, Ancient Monuments Society, Liverpool Preservation Trust and Albert Dock residents association – are opposing the plan.

They claim it will cause “serious harm” to the waterfront’s architectural heritage and dominate the skyline.

But Neptune and Countryside Properties say the majority of reaction to their scheme was positive and that they have slightly redesigned it to address some concerns.

If the scheme goes ahead, two triangular apartment blocks with almost 380 flats will be built in an L-shape, forming a sheltered enclosure away from the windswept Pier Head.

The third building will contain offices, exhibition space and a cafe. Shops, bars and restaurants will open up on all three ground floors.

Source: icLiverpool

So their knocking down the Mercedes car show room for this but not that old thing that has the kiosk?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

I talked to a guy who works at the Museum of Liverpool Life. He said that the modern extension to the museum is going, the long shed/warehouse at the end of the Canning basin is going, the graving docks and GWR shed will obviously be kept. I'm assuming the old square brick building will stay - or maybe it won't? What is it anyway?

Controversy as building plans set to go ahead
    Oct 4 2006
    By Sam Lister Daily Post Staff

CONTENTIOUS plans to build three futuristic apartment and office blocks on the city's world heritage site are set to go ahead despite a raft of objections.

Developers want to build two residential buildings with almost 400 flats and one commercial office building at Mann Island, to sit alongside the controversial X-museum.

But heritage campaigners, residents and the Royal Liver Assurance have all objected to the scheme.

And Icomos UK, which advises the organisation in charge of awarding world heritage status, sent planners a d*mning letter stating the buildings' "design and form are in almost violent contrast with the Pier Head buildings".

Planners have recommended councillors grant the ambitious £112m scheme permission when they meet next week.

More...

Blog Entries

A FUTURISTIC scheme proposed for land near the Three Graces was deferred by Liverpool council this morning because world heritage officials want to look at the plans during an emergency visit to the city next week.

Campaigners have objected to Unesco’s World Heritage Committee about the application to build three apartment and office blocks, as well as plans for the controversial X-museum building which would sit alongside them.

European officials have now brought forward their visit to assess the impact of both schemes.

If they object, the city would either have to ditch the plans or face losing its world heritage status.

The Mann Island application will now go before the planning committee on October 24.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast