Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Mann Island/ New Liverpool Museum Area

Uncertainty over new £68m museum likely to be settled by planners
    Apr 8 2008
    by David Bartlett, Liverpool Daily Post

UNCERTAINTY over Liverpool’s new £68m museum on the city’s historic waterfront looks likely to be settled today when councillors are asked to approve a new facade for the building.

The Museum of Liverpool is now on its second set of architects and the building is due before the city’s planning committee today because of a change in the marble cladding from Travertine to Jura.

Council planners have recommended that the switch in material be approved.

The change in material has angered heritage campaigners who last night said the new material is not good enough and that they always said Travertine was unsuitable anyway.

The change in cladding material followed National Museums Liverpool (NML) sacking Danish architects 3XN, who were replaced with Manchester-based practice AEW in November.

The saga over the new museum also lead long-term patron and city solicitor Rex Makin, who has given the organisation hundreds of thousands of pounds, to des-cribe the situation as a “crisis”.

Despite the cladding issue work has continued on the Mann Island site and is on track to be built by the end of the year with an open-ing date in 2010 or 2011.

Approval was given for the museum in December 2005 and according to NML a sample panel of Travertine marble has remained on the site since.

A council report says NML “became concerned about the suitability of the material, because it has shown extensive signs of weathering and discolouration.”

The Travertine had attracted dirt, the surface had stained from water run off, and algae had begun to form with some of the fissures.

NML said that Jura limestone, by virtue of its dense structure and low porosity, is less susceptible to weathering and more resistant to graffiti.

“Its closed face makes it difficult to permanently attach paint and also makes it easier to clean,” states the report.

“By contrast, the nature of the Travertine makes it absorbent to paint and difficult to clean. The Jura is smooth and will not harbour algae or dirt.

“The Planning Manager is satisfied Jura limestone is a high quality, durable material which is a fitting material for the new Liverpool Museum and the important historic context within which it is to be located.”

Wayne Colquhoun, of the Liverpool Preservation Trust, said he had warned of the vulnerability of Travertine when the original planning permission was granted.

“This whole affair has turned into a farce. Changing from Travertine to Jura is like giving a sore thumb a bruise.”

He said Jura was the type of material used for the Metquarter shopping centre, but was not appropriate for a world heritage site.

Source: Liverpool Daily Post

Council demands tests to prove new museum can withstand sea air
    Apr 9 2008
    by Ben Schofield, Liverpool Daily Post

JURA limestone will clad the £68m Museum of Liverpool, but only if planning officers are satisfied with durability test results, it was decided yesterday.

More...

Blog Entries

Exclamation

12th April 2008:

Huge version (worth a view): Here

Huge version (worth a view): Here
    Last edited by Kev; 04-12-2008 at 07:14 PM.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

12th April 2008

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

3 in 1 here.

The new ferry terminal building, the new museum of Liverpool life and the canal link all under construction.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Maybe this should have gone in the Paradise thread......

Was in town today on business and decided to bus it in as I was going to meet someone by St Nick's Church.

When I left, I thought I would have a nose down the Dock Road and was amazed at what I saw.

It's been a few years since I used to go down to the Pier Head and press my nose against the Porsche Showroom on Mann Island. All gone. Bottom of Mann Island there used to be a lovely view over the waterfront, bit of grass, seats - all gone. Now that view has been lost by another building that looks out of place.

Anyway, I'm getting old - sod all of this, I'll go to Paradise Bus Station. And could I get there? Both pedestrian pavements weren't there either side of the Dock Road meaning that it was impossible to actually get to the bus station from the bottom of James Street. Even with my knowledge of the back streets, I still couldn't make it.

Eventually flagged a Taxi and went past the building site that was once Liverpool.

Yes you're getting old Cad and not looking at the pics on here often enough if you didn't know all that was gone

I don't like the look of the new ferry terminal already as it will still obscure the so called 3 graces from the River which is no better than what was there before, maybe the inside will make up for it.

I often drop my girls off at Baby Cream, you want to try doing that at the weekend, that'll give anyone something to moan about, you have to go round the world and all the taxi drivers are moaning about Hanover St and the new arena 'none' rank but we're told it's all getting sorted and it has to be a massive building site in order to enjoy what will come.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

The waterfront museum – a key “legacy” project of Capital of Culture year – could be dragged into a courtroom battle over who owns the copyright in its distinctive X-wing design. Read

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Don’t let row delay museum
    Apr 21 2008
    by Alan Weston, Liverpool Daily Post

EVEN though building work is well under way on the new £68m Museum of Liverpool, the project is in danger of getting bogged down in a legal row over who owns the designs for the iconic building.

It follows the sudden and unexpected dropping of Danish architects 3XN from the project towards the end of last year. They are now in talks with lawyers and may seek damages over breach of copyright.

More...

Danish practice 3XN won the project in 2004, beating Daniel Libeskind and Zaha Hadid, only to be sacked by the museum last November over “performance issues”. Until now it has only criticised the client’s role in the saga.

But following BD’s recent interview (Solutions April 4) with AEW — the executive architect which replaced 3XN on the scheme — 3XN director Kim Nielsen has accused the Manchester-based practice of playing a key role in its sacking.

FULL STORY
    http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?...rycode=3111464

Oops Double post.
    Can someone please delete this.

13th May 2008.

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Blog Entries

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Panels being fitted to side of new Museum.

Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast