Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mann Island/ New Liverpool Museum Area

Blog Entries

Exclamation Mann Island/ New Liverpool Museum Area

PLANS for a dramatic development on Liverpool's Mann Island, close to the city's historic Three Graces, are revealed for the first time today.

The futuristic £112m scheme by locally-based Neptune Developments and nationallyrenowned Countryside Properties has won provisional approval from one of the country's leading architectural watchdog bodies.

It will bring office space, hundreds of luxury apartments, shops and a series of new public squares to the key waterfront site, with waterfront cafes and restaurants.

CABE, the Commission for the Environment and the Built Environment, has given its blessing to the Pier Head scheme, designed to complement the proposed waterfront Museum of Liverpool development.

Reaction to the Mann Island scheme will become clearer later this week when the plans are put on public display at an exhibition.

The developers insist the proposals have been specially designed to preserve the famous views of the city's Three Graces, the Port of Liverpool Building, Cunard Building and the Royal Liver Building with simple, elegant buildings that blend into the skyline.

International architects Broadway Malyan has designed three buildings, encompassing three new public spaces including a covered area.

Their designs have already received the support of English Heritage, Liverpool Vision, the city council-backed urban design panel, and the council's Regeneration Select Committee. more

Any thoughts?

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

From the pic above and the BBC local news coverage tonight my initial impression is favourable - if the project gets delivered.

However looking at Neptune Developments website I can't say I am that impressed with any of the schemes they have been involved with in Liverpool to date.

Developers

Countryside Properties PLC

Neptune Developments Limited

Architects

Broadway Malyan

• Click here to take a virtual tour of the Mann Island proposals.

Blog Entries

That is fantastic Howie, cheers
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

See Liverpool Echo readers views on the proposals for the development of Mann Island here.

First view of Mann Island project - for two days only
    Mar 3 2006
    By Alan Weston Daily Post Staff

MEMBERS of the public will today be given their first chance to view and comment on the £118m plans for the development of Mann Island on the Liverpool waterfront.

A two-day exhibition close to the proposed site will allow people to view a model of the proposed complex, which includes office space, luxury apartments, shops and a series of new public squares, along with waterfront cafés and restaurants.

There is also a walk-through model which provides a virtual tour of the complex.

The exhibition is part of a "pre-planning consultation" for the scheme, ahead of a formal planning application to be made to Liverpool City Council, probably next month.

At a launch last night, civic leaders and others had a glimpse of the exhibition before it opens to the public, and gave the scheme a mostly favourable response.

It will sit alongside the proposed new Museum of Liverpool - which awaits funding - on a site once destined for the abandoned Fourth Grace project.

Cllr Peter Millea, Liverpool's executive member for regeneration and transport, said: "It's got a real 'wow' factor.. It provides a nice contrast and adds to the architecture around it.

"The developers are doing the public a service by making the space available for leisure uses. It could be a once-in-a-lifetime chance and I think people will grow to love it."

Jim Gill, chief executive of Liverpool Vision, said: "Change is always difficult but I think this development will create a wonderful place for Liverpool."

But Wayne Colquhoun, chairman of Liverpool Preservation Trust, said the buildings were like "three trashy tarts next to the elegant Three Graces." He added: "I think it's atrocious and it's going to ruin the second-best view of Liverpool from The Strand.

"We are fighting for the preservation of Liverpool's skyline. That's how serious it is."

The scheme, by locally-based Neptune Developments and national firm Countryside Properties, is designed to complement the proposed waterfront Museum of Liverpool, and to preserve the famous views of the city's Three Graces.

Manchester-based architects Broadway Malyan designed the three buildings, which encompasses three new public spaces including a covered area.

The architect Matt Brook - who studied and is also a tutor at Liverpool John Moores University - was at pains to point out that the new complex was not designed as a "Fourth Grace" but as a standalone development in its own right.

He said it was "understandable" that the public reaction to the complex so far had been largely hostile. "It takes a while for a new idea or contemporary design to grow on the public," said Mr Brook.

"I'm as passionate as anybody else to do the right thing on this site. I feel that I know the city very well, which is the most important thing.

"The key challenge is that it's not a background building. It's strong enough to command the environment and offer something new to the dock area.

"We wanted to improve the connection from the city centre to the waterfront, and to create a sequence of public spaces that would draw people down from the city to the historic waterfront.

"I don't think there's been another scheme that has had such support from bodies such as the Commission for the Built Environment and English Heritage."

If planning approval is given, work on the site could start early next year.

Source: icLiverpool

Blog Entries

There seems to be a good feeling around this development, fingers crossed
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

A.D.Williams

I went to the display today and it's a shame it remained open for only two days. I would have liked to have gone down at least once more.

You still have a chance, Dave.

The futuristic £112 million proposed development on Liverpool’s Mann Island is to be showcased, from March 16, on the city’s stand at MIPIM, the international property fair held annually in Cannes.

More...

Blog Entries

MORE than 250 people turned up to look at the radical £112m plans to build offices and apartment blocks in the heart of Liverpool's World Heritage site. more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

kev wrote: Any thoughts?

Awful. Two of the buildings are way too dark and gloomy (remember Foster/Mulberry House?). Just wait until exhaust residue builds up on them and people start pi--ing in the corners; it will be like the 1980s all over again.

Bring back The Cloud.

Link

A.D.Williams

For those who didn't get to the display all the pictures I took have been added here - The Mann Island project

Blog Entries

Thanks Dave - I've just had a look through 'em
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Howie
    From the pic above and the BBC local news coverage tonight my initial impression is favourable - if the project gets delivered.

However looking at Neptune Developments website I can't say I am that impressed with any of the schemes they have been involved with in Liverpool to date.

Developers

Countryside Properties PLC

Neptune Developments Limited

Architects

Broadway Malyan

Nice pic on Countryside Properties PLC

Bye bye Porche garage and that Mersey print thing building
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Revealed: Liverpool's historic new waterfront

THIS is the first picture of the stunning sight which could greet visitors to Liverpool's historic waterfront.

Plans to build three black granite buildings at Mann Island met with a mixed reaction when the ECHO revealed them earlier this year.

But developers hope the tweaked scheme will win public approval. And they are so confident about it they have now applied for official planning permission.

The £120m scheme could win approval in a matter of weeks, allowing work to start.

If approved, the flats and offices would flank the planned X-shaped Museum of Liverpool Life, next to the Three Graces.

More than 900 jobs would be created at the complex, with 1.25m visitors a year expected.

Some ECHO readers praised the eye-catching design, others said Mann Island should stay untouched following the embarrassing failure of Will Alsop's The Cloud.

But the scheme has now been redesigned by architects.

Changes include moving two of the new blocks three metres east to reveal more of the Cunard, Port of Liverpool and Liver buildings.

More trees will be planted, the public given access to a roof terrace with views over Canning Dock and the Pier Head canal basin blended in with the surrounding area.

Heritage experts have already backed the project, drawn up by Neptune Developments and Countryside Properties.

If the scheme goes ahead, two triangular apartment blocks with almost 380 flats will be built in an L-shape, forming a sheltered enclosure away from the windswept Pier Head.

The third building will contain offices, exhibition space and a cafe.

Shops, bars and restaurants will open up on the ground floor of all three structures. source...

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast