Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Mann Island/ New Liverpool Museum Area

I agree that the docks and quays where possible should be reinstated, there's enough land and brownfield sites crying out for apartment blocks and the like (eg. all that wasteland on Tithebarn st next to the Railway pub looks an eyesore)

The black granite should be changed to white to fit in with the rest of the area as they just look like Steers house has been reshaped and shifted over there. I don't mind the quirky shapes actually, just that the height doesn't obscure the Port of Liverpool building.

I can't wait for the new museum of Liverpool life and hope that they don't let us down with the floorspace and contents.

Why does everyone get so misty eyed over old docks?
    All they are are large holes surrounded by retaining walls to keep in water.
    I think too many people look back with rose tinted spectacles at the days of shipping - I worked on the docks for years and it was hard graft in a filthy environment for bog standard wages.
    They won't find any dinosaurs buried there or anything else of real interest - just the detritus of an dirty industry.

Maybe so but the docks are still a lasting reminder of Liverpool's heyday.

Blog Entries

Maybe I should get Waterways off the ban list to explain about the docks.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post

Yes!

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    NO!

Waterways is very informative about dock matters, I think the best way to treat him is ignore him when he starts acting up, that is what I did, no replies to his nonsense. He was in a lot of ways an asset to this forum. I think he should be allowed back if he will quit calling people nasty names.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    Waterways is very informative about dock matters, I think the best way to treat him is ignore him when he starts acting up, that is what I did, no replies to his nonsense. He was in a lot of ways an asset to this forum. I think he should be allowed back if he will quit calling people nasty names.
    Mr Waterways can call me all the names under the sun and I think he should still be allowed back. He adds far more to this forum than he takes away, IMHO.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    But when some people think they're indispensable, they also think they're much better than us mere mortals, and they can be extremely cruel, which must make the poor victims just quietly leave the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    But when some people think they're indispensable, they also think they're much better than us mere mortals, and they can be extremely cruel, which must make the poor victims just quietly leave the forum.
    Some truth in that too.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Fair enough.
    Missed the terrible side of him, saw bits of the 'bad' side though. Said it before, in fact I also said it to him, that it was a big shame how he couldn't just lighten up his act a bit. A shame because a lot of his contributions were excellent.

He made me laugh on more than a couple of occaisions the cudmugeonly old sod.
    "The colour of Liverpool is green, and green it stays." !!!!!!!!!

This little ramp was installed in the last few days...I'm guessing to stop people from getting their feet wet at full tide (sometimes the gates at either end of the Riverside Walk are closed when the river gets dangerous).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramp_Pier_Head.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	1113  

Feet wet? Buaahahahahah.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Thumbs down 2001?

Does the design not remind anyone of the film 2001?
    I had to check it wasn't April 1st when i saw pictures of this scheme.
    I can't think of a worse solution to building on this site. Blank, soulless, faceless slabs that only detract from the existing architecture.

I did notice the pier head was all blocked off, (walking pathways) as works are getting done! One of my fav places in liverpool and im so glad its all getting done up again!

Great to see theose pictures people have been posting thanks!

Come on Liverpool 2008!

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast