Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Mann Island/ New Liverpool Museum Area

Blog Entries

Interesting that the three graces all inhabit the former George's dock site [which was reclaimed from the Mersey]. Vessels from a different land, who have found santuary in this fine city.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Who said buildings had to be permanent?
    Are any buidings permanent?
    The crumbling pyramids and the fate of the World Trade Centre suggest otherwise.
    If it's designed to be disposable, then all of it's "green" savings will be wiped out by the energy used to demolish and replace it with a new building. I certainly hope it was designed for the long term.

http://www.greenbuildnews.co.uk/news...pool-museum/69

I think your two comparisons and not particularly relavent to this building location - tens of centuries old and unplanned human intervention. Buildings are the one item we can still create that give a city it's identity and hopefully a lasting history.

With the Liver Building reaching it's 100 year mark, it still looks like a bold statement.

Will the museum look stately in even 50 years time, or is present day architecture become expensive trendy statements of a few well know competing architects?

I find modern buildings have planned obsolescence built in of about 40 years. Schools and churches my children attended are all demolished while mine are still going.
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Blog Entries

Thank you for that, Oudeis. I think it very fitting to have them referred to as The Three Graces, considering what has now been built alongside them. They are outstanding amidst it all.

Harry, if Queen Nefertiti had listed the pyramids as heritage sites, then they would have been kept up to snuff, and we would be able to see them in their original state. All it takes is a little regular maintenance.

Sydney,sunshine capital of the world ex Norris Green-ex Croxteth

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    But will it look bold in 50 years time, or just plain dated?

The existing buildings - the Three Graces - look stately. Will the museum look stately in 2060?

Time will tell.
    If they are still standing in 50 years to me they would still look like what i imagine them to be today.

Squashed shoe boxes with no architectural connection whatsoever to the surrounding area.

Pud

Quote Originally Posted by Sydernee View Post
    If they are still standing in 50 years to me they would still look like what i imagine them to be today.

Squashed shoe boxes with no architectural connection whatsoever to the surrounding area.

Pud
    that sounds like Sydney !

---------- Post added at 03:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 AM ----------

Ive been to Sydney,the best place to visit is Doyles Seafood Bar at Watsons Bay...outstanding, also, there are no outstanding buildings of merit in Sydney..ok the opera house and bridge are OK, but Melbourne is amazingif you like a bit of history and culture,your comments on Liverpools buildings make me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydernee View Post

Pud
    I remember thinking it looked like a squashed ciggie packet I think it takes time to get used to something though.

Its not the fact these pieces of concrete monsters are an eyesore,its the fact that the three graces where built at the rivers edge because they where a sight to be seen as you entered the port,these monstrosities have now blighted this splendour.

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Oh,and the fact that the Museum was in william brown street meant that it was easily accesed via any bus route into town....do any buses venture this far at the pierhead without treking too far to the new Museum?

Our crazy council have done it again.....

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

But will it look bold in 50 years time, or just plain dated?

The existing buildings - the Three Graces - look stately. Will the museum look stately in 2060?
    In 50 years time there will be a new breed of architects,that'll probably mean a complete revamp of the area and who knows Heritage might have ceased to exist and the three graces knocked down,you cannot stop the future and the only way forward into the future is modernise a city to suit the generation at the time.

Space shuttle acoss the mersey...now thers a thought.

We will always be protective of our graces, however the economics of today don't allow us to build buildings of the splendour of what is there now. Buildings have to be practical. Didn't they gut the inside of the old museum to create the new one. Anyway my point is there will never be a new building of the quality of the graces, so we have to look forward. I bet if on the site we built a buliding to look "old and graceful" the critics would have been on it like a shot as looking out of place, or calling it a concrete box with a few frills. Lets face it the Albert dock isn't exactly a looker, but we love it all the same. The arena didn't get slated because the city needed it and to be fair I come out of a concert and look out over the Mersey, I stil get goosebumps and a sense of pride. We should be thankful these buildings are being built, as we would be left with the 60's and 70's rubbish that blighted our waterfront for so long (which on the other hand where classed as futuristic and modern at the time) . Our kids will class the new buildings as the norm in years to come, and should be as protective of the waterfront as we are now if we teach them to be.

The Pier head area looked like a dump,not so long ago,with that awful bus terminus,and architectectural gems,like the "River rest rooms",and the "Crossville" garages,etc, surrounding the so called "Three Graces"(I bet it was some smart alec southerner,that came up with that one,becauseI never heard,seen,or read of the term,till the 90's! ) If you look at the pic's that have been posted on here by Greg's dad,Leon,etc, it looks stunning in comparison! Dont forget,the "Liver buildings were criticised in their day,as was the Eiffel tower,Sydney opera house,etc,and no doubt many other "Modern" buildings,and maybe they are not meant to last,much as most other modern items,it seems!

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    The Pier head area looked like a dump,not so long ago,with that awful bus terminus,and architectectural gems,like the "River rest rooms",and the "Crossville" garages,etc, surrounding the so called "Three Graces"(I bet it was some smart alec southerner,that came up with that one,becauseI never heard,seen,or read of the term,till the 90's! ) If you look at the pic's that have been posted on here by Greg's dad,Leon,etc, it looks stunning in comparison! Dont forget,the "Liver buildings were criticised in their day,as was the Eiffel tower,Sydney opera house,etc,and no doubt many other "Modern" buildings,and maybe they are not meant to last,much as most other modern items,it seems!
    The Pier Head ground level area certainly did look like a dump as you say, but the skyline (ie the large buildings - aka Three Graces) did look fine and impressive from the river in the 60's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3721190366_b0c77de1e4_z.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	17915

We are talking here of skyline and large buildings, not the ground level area....

But I think they still do,if comments by visitors have any credence!?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post

In 50 years time there will be a new breed of architects,that'll probably mean a complete revamp of the area and who knows Heritage might have ceased to exist and the three graces knocked down,you cannot stop the future and the only way forward into the future is modernise a city to suit the generation at the time.

Space shuttle acoss the mersey...now thers a thought.
    That's exactly what I was trying to say to someone the other day. Someone who doesn't like change.

Of course we should preserve our historic buildings but we also have to move with the times.

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    But I think they still do,if comments by visitors have any credence!?
    I think our waterfront is looking stunning, and especially lit up at night

and there is more to come when the new development continues.

Must get out on the ferry at night,it looks pretty spectacular,if the pic's on here are anything to go by!

Sydney,sunshine capital of the world ex Norris Green-ex Croxteth

Quote Originally Posted by barizla 66 View Post
    that sounds like Sydney !

---------- Post added at 03:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 AM ----------

Ive been to Sydney,the best place to visit is Doyles Seafood Bar at Watsons Bay...outstanding, also, there are no outstanding buildings of merit in Sydney..ok the opera house and bridge are OK, but Melbourne is amazingif you like a bit of history and culture,your comments on Liverpools buildings make me laugh.
    You may not have been in Sydney for long enough to see some of the better pieces of architecture eg:- The Queen Victoria builduing and the town hall.
    Doyles at Watsons Bay.OK if you like overpriced fish and chips.
    Melbourne....Sleepy one day comatose the next.I rate Melbourne with Birmingham or London.Somewhere to leave but not to go to.

Pud

Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast