Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Mann Island/ New Liverpool Museum Area

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    This is how it's going to look!
    The foundations go quite deep, and all the ancient cellars of Mann Island have been swept away.
    The removal of (IMHO) the best view of the Three Graces is going to go down in history as one of Liverpool's greatest mistakes.
    On a par with demolishing the front of the Cotton Exchange and getting rid of the Overhead Railway and the Customs House.

Last edited by PhilipG; 07-22-2008 at 11:48 PM.

chippie

If the finish is right on the shoebox I think it will turn out to be a great future icon on the waterfront. I think the more I look at the black faced buildings the more I,m accepting them. As for the cloud Chris, that was a no no from the beginning and still is now

The thing that annoyed me was that they actually moved the middle block forward to allow the three graces to peek through. Daft really because it obviously hasnt placated those who wanted that view retained, whilst compromising somewhat the logic behind the three blocks and their previously linear arrangement.

I love the wedges personally, but wish they were in their original position.

chippie

If they want to see the three graces let them flippin, walk round a bit and see them, God moving buildings so someone can see something makes me sick.

The museum still looks like a Showcase cinema to me - or a bowling alley - like something you find on a retail park !

I might come around to liking it more when it's completed.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    I am not against the actual buildings - but why have we got to have those great lumps stuck there anyway !

We could have had them located somewhere else.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I am not against the actual buildings - but why have we got to have those great lumps stuck there anyway !

We could have had them located somewhere else.
    Are they going to look just as out-of-focus when they're actually built?
    We've had that view since even before the Three Graces were built.

Here's an old postcard.

Last edited by PhilipG; 07-23-2008 at 10:55 AM.

I hate that cliched old view.
    I'm made up its going.
    There are far better, brilliant views of Liverpool from many different parts of the city that never see the light of day because hackneyed old vistas like this.

I think they work brilliantly on new Cityscape painting,the whole Waterfront benefits from all of the new work I think.

PhilipG

My main reason for saying the view from the Canning Dock is the best is because you can't see the Cunard Building, but get the bonus of the art-deco Tunnel vent tower to play off the towers and domes of the Liver and the MD&HB buildings.
    And you get the fantastic reflection, which can never be achieved from the front.

I know the Cunard Building is said to be modelled after Italian palaces, but I find it boxy and quite ugly.
    Funnily enough, I'd describe the ones to be built on Mann Island the same way.

The council must be high for approving too black blocks that will block the view of the graces from the Albert dock.

Suprised how It's been approved.

Love the postcard view Phil posted.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Jul 28 2008 by Catherine Jones, Liverpool Echo

AN £11m grant for Liverpool’s new museum was confirmed by the Heritage Lottery Fund today.

It will help to complete the interior of the Museum of Liverpool being built at the Pier Head.

Today the ECHO can reveal images of the interior of the £70m building with its unique elliptical staircase and themed galleries.

Museum officials had to satisfy criteria laid down by the Heritage Lottery Fund before the go-ahead was given for the grant.

National Museums Liverpool still needs to raise around £7m to complete the fitting out of the 8,000 sq m space with four themes – Global City, Creative City, Port City and People’s City.

Heritage Lottery Fund chief executive Carole Souter said: “The Museum of Liverpool will provide a wonderful new opportunity for people to learn more about the city and its role in British and world history.

“In this year when Liverpool is European Capital of Culture we’re delighted to be able to confirm our support for this ambitious project which will bring the story of the city to life.”

NML director David Fleming said: “HLF’s endorsement signifies the outstanding importance of this new national museum which is the great legacy of Liverpool’s year as European Capital of Culture.

“The project is like the Grand National, and having cleared the final major hurdle we're now on the home straight.”

Due to open in 2010/11 the Museum of Liverpool will tell the story of the city’s development.

Last month contractors finished the steel structure of the X-shaped site which will be clad in Jura stone.

The three-storey museum will showcase more than 6,000 objects currently in store, many of which have never been on public display before.

They include an Overhead Railway carriage and the early 19th century Lion steam locomotive.

The museum is expected to attract more than 750,000 visitors per year and create 70 permanent jobs.

A new exhibition about the Museum of Liverpool can be seen at the Piermaster’s House on the Albert Dock.

catherinejones@liverpoolecho.co.uk
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Here's the very staircase:

more here >>
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

It looks like the external cladding to the new museum is getting fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    It looks like the external cladding to the new museum is getting fitted.
    I took a couple of pics of that today actually

Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast