Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast

Thread: Mann Island/ New Liverpool Museum Area

It's pretty rudimentary
    It is that and so is the electronic turnstlye.

The only known fairly accurate way is the magnet token ie you're given a magnetic token and a beep sounds when the token is passed or the person holding the token has passed the loop system,this particular is extremely usefull in building security ie the token is still with the person till they leave the exit,this then counts how many people have entered and how many people have left and on computer the security can check how many people are still in the building in the event of a fire or bomb scare?

But again it still fails on a true count via a person on returning visits to the building but on a daily basis its flawless.

Bit like the clothes shop where they have security tag badges on the clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    It's here now so embrace it. Wait until the new galleries open, I know people who haven't even been at all yet and want to see the FULL experience. The bad news for them is, it'll still be chocker block and they'll have to go like me, time and time again. I'm just glad i'm not so obstinate as to miss out on this very welcome addition to the city. But each to their own eh!
    Yes, that's right. It is here now so we should embrace it.
    I know lots of people who are looking forward to seeing it but they are waiting a little longer until the crowds die down a bit and they can view at a more leisurely pace. I think it is always going to busy in there though. Perhaps quieter on the week days when the kids are back in school ( but then there might be school parties)
    Whether you are for or against, it is great that it is attracting people to visit the waterfront and the Pier head is buzzing again. Also, don't forget - it has created employment too.

Blog Entries

?

Quote Originally Posted by chasevans View Post
    ?
    ??
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Ha ha - you'll love this

Come onLIVERPOOL

Museum of Liverpool shorlisted for World Building of the Year
    by Laura Davis, Liverpool Daily PostAug 18 2011

THE Museum of Liverpool has been shortlisted for World Building of the Year 2011 alongside an Estonian theatre made of straw, a bamboo office in India and a moving gallery in New York.

Architects 3XN are invited to present its design to a panel of experts at the World Architecture Festival held in Barcelona this November.

A jury, headed by internationally renowned New York architect Michael Sorkin, will make the final decision.

The Pier Head museum, which opened last month, is up against 280 other projects, chosen from 704 entries across the globe.

It is also in the running for the OpenBuildings People’s Choice Award, voted for by members of the public at http://openbuildings.com/peoples_choice/waf/leaderboard

Paul Finch, World Architecture Festival programme director, said: “The awards celebrate architectural excellence the world over and allow architects to showcase their talent and their unique responses to the ever-changing economic climate.

“There is now an increasing need for innovative approaches to architecture, inspiring architects and designers to think in new ways about buildings. It’s encouraging that the quality of this year’s entries is the highest we’ve ever seen, and we look forward to seeing which projects both the judges select as the winners.”

Read More http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...#ixzz1VNLGeMDP

What if we Win?
    You'll have to take a week off work to reply to comments

We won't win, it's sh1te, useless, cr@p, empty, obstructive, disrepair, crumbling, stinks ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by grekko View Post
    What if we Win?
    You'll have to take a week off work to reply to comments

Shouldn`t that read worst not world?
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4485112...l-1134214@N20/

There was one time when I think Steers house would have been the 'in building' to see from this view. Dark days indeed and oh how we've moved on.

Blog Entries

There is 1 question I love answered when I worked for St helen's buses we used to have a drop back for an hour and alway's went to mann island for a cuppa and a bacon butty BUT WHERE & WHO named it MANN ISLAND?

MANN ISLAND 3
    Originally Mersey Island. It was an artificial island between George's Dock and Canning Dock on three sides and the Mersey on the west. It lost its water on the north and east sides with the conversion of George's Dock into the building site for the Pier Head buildings. It gets its name from John Mann, an oil-stone dealer, who died there in 1784.

The area was also known as Nova Scotia and featured on a time team archiology dig a few years ago.

It was named after John Mann sometime in the 17century? Its original name was Mersey Island and has now ceased to be an Island due to the Georges dock being filled in.

Echoooooo Echooooo0

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gregs dad View Post
    There is one figure you can believe George the first hour before it was officially opened there were 400 plus staff in there, as they printed 400 invitations. After that you think of a number as there is nobody counting.
    Did you know there is a bus stop in Kirkby that has 2,000 visitors a day ?
    gregs dad hahahahah Hmmm is that the one outside the kirby bus trminus/garage?

---------- Post added at 01:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    MANN ISLAND 3
    Originally Mersey Island. It was an artificial island between George's Dock and Canning Dock on three sides and the Mersey on the west. It lost its water on the north and east sides with the conversion of George's Dock into the building site for the Pier Head buildings. It gets its name from John Mann, an oil-stone dealer, who died there in 1784.

The area was also known as Nova Scotia and featured on a time team archiology dig a few years ago.
    o I say we have some very INTELLAGENT people on this site thank you for the answer I am very thankfully for years I always wonderd where it came from and to think with all the proggress going on it's actually still kept it's name thank you again GENTS

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast