Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Mann Island/ New Liverpool Museum Area

Blog Entries

excellent
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I think they work brilliantly on new Cityscape painting,the whole Waterfront benefits from all of the new work I think.

Just noticed, why is there only 2 'Wedge' buildings in this picture and not the three that are planned? The one nearest the strand is missing, actually looks better without it and the view of the Liver Building from the strand would be saved!

Thank you so much, everyone, for posting all this detailed information and these pictures! I'm so glad I've had a chance to see close up what Liverpool looks like now. I wasn't aware of the extent of these changes!

It's also been very interesting to me to read some of your views on these changes and the new buildings. I'm not quite sure what to make of all this, to be honest. While I think it's exciting and great that there's so much going on in Liverpool, with new museums etc. being built, I'm not so sure that I won't find the new buildings at the waterfront too modern on my next visit. Maybe it would have been best to leave the waterfront/Pier Head/Albert Dock area untouched and build this museum elswhere in the city. Still, I can't wait to go back to Liverpool and see for myself what it looks like now.

How do most Scousers feel about these changes?

Love the cityscape picture posted by PaulD. Is it available to buy anywhere? Maybe a postcard or a small poster?
    I'm not sure how these buildings will affect the familiar skyline, we'll have to wait and see I suppose. The Three Graces will still be there and it won't take long to seek them out for the familiar photos that we all know and love.

Quote Originally Posted by seasidenan View Post
    Love the cityscape picture posted by PaulD. Is it available to buy anywhere? Maybe a postcard or a small poster?
    Yes, you can purchase postcards and prints of it at the Walker Art Gallery.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merseyrose View Post
    How do most Scousers feel about these changes?
    We like them.....

I can't wait for the Shanghai Tower - one of the tallest buildings in the UK. It will be extreme left of the liner.
    Last edited by Waterways; 08-30-2008 at 11:40 PM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

OK.

If you are happy, I'll be happy for you.

Blog Entries

how it once was?

The museum being built..just ruins the view of the Mersey.. and doesn't blend into the architecture (at all) of Albert Docks.. Just off.. Thats my opinion..

The new 99,000 lb. apts, (all glass) , across the street from Albert Docks (no lanai's or balconies), is very boring looking , and like living in a glass bubble.. But, my opinion again..
    They could of incorporated balconies ,for people to view the views or just feel like having some air space..

So, different views for different folks.. No one will ever fully agree on this.. and so be it..

I perfer the architecture to be more uniformed in appearance with its surroundings..
    I am not a scouser.. but, honorary one!!! LOl.. my observation from my trip there.. ta

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by naked lilac View Post
    The museum being built..just ruins the view of the Mersey.. and doesn't blend into the architecture (at all) of Albert Docks.. Just off.. Thats my opinion..

The new 99,000 lb. apts, (all glass) , across the street from Albert Docks (no lanai's or balconies), is very boring looking , and like living in a glass bubble.. But, my opinion again..
    They could of incorporated balconies ,for people to view the views or just feel like having some air space..
    The city will not allow balconies above certains heights or in certain locations.

The block is designed by world renowned Cesar Peli. He wanted it about 6 floors higher. He did the JP Morgan headquarters in New York and towers in London and other places. He did this in Holland

So, different views for different folks.. No one will ever fully agree on this.. and so be it..

I perfer the architecture to be more uniformed in appearance with its surroundings..
    I am not a scouser.. but, honorary one!!! LOl.. my observation from my trip there.. ta
    Well put

The black smoked glass wedges are to go here with the foundations under construction. In the background the Roman villa, complete with green roof, on the top of India Buildings can be seen. The architect had a sense of humour, and put a Roman villa on the top of the office block. The top two floors are very different to the rest of the building.

Below: The domed building, the Customs House, is where the Old Dock was, then later a horrible 1960s complex then the park and now the Liverpool 1 shopping centre. The Cesar Peli building is located on the front to the left of the Customs House.

The Customs House was fire bombed by the Luftwaffe in WW2, but the building was still intact and only required renovating throughout. Some fools said demolish the building.
    Last edited by Waterways; 02-01-2009 at 04:50 PM.

how it once was?

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Yes, you can purchase postcards and prints of it at the Walker Art Gallery.

Thanks Howie. Sorry to be so long replying to your message, missed it somehow I'll ad the Walker to my list of places to go next time I visit, which I hope won't be long now

Blog Entries

16th November 08

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

THE spectacular new Museum of Liverpool, which is under construction at the city?s Pier Head, has passed a key milestone.

The ?72m building is now water tight and almost all its Jura cladding has been fitted. See tomorrow?s Daily Post for a full interview with National Museums Liverpool director Dr David Fleming on the latest development in the new building?s construction.

liverpool echo/dp
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

THE director of National Museums Liverpool believes the new museum being built on the city?s waterfront will be ?witty, cocky, funny, genuine, honest and not full of clich?s?.

Dr David Fleming said more than 10,000 local people had been consulted on the ?72m project, and he was confident it would be a museum the city could be proud of.

Speaking before yesterday?s row over the disbanding of the Friends of National Museums Liverpool, Dr Fleming also revealed NML had set a target of welcoming 3m visitors through its doors by 2011.

The new museum has just hit the important milestone of becoming a watertight building, and 95% of its cladding has now been fixed on.

In September, contractors will hand over the completed article, but it will take between 12 and 15 months to fit out the 8,000 sq m interior with four themes ? Global City, Creative City, Port City and People?s City.

Dr Fleming said: ?I think it looks fantastic. There was some controversy over the two different types of stone, we always felt it was a non-issue because they were both quality stones.

?It looks fabulous, as the sun comes up it starts to glimmer, and as the sun moves round in the day the building seems to be in a state of movement.?

During 2008, NML recorded its highest-ever visitor number, of 2.7m.

?We are expecting a fall back, 2008 was a spectacularly good year. The main thing is if it does fall back we don?t want it to fall back below the 2007 figure (2.1m).?

NML had a target to get 2m visitors through its doors by 2010, but is now aiming for 3m annual visits by 2011.

Earlier this week, Andrew Pearce, chairman of the now disbanded Friends of NML, claimed some of NML?s exhibitions had become so dumbed down they were starting to resemble ?Disneyland?.

Speaking prior to Mr Pearce?s criticism, Dr Fleming explained how NML would continue to increase visitor numbers.

?We will do that by being a lively organisation with lively programming,? he said.

?We are more inclusive than we had been and less elitist than we had been.

?We do see ourselves as performing an educational function.?

He hopes the new Museum of Liverpool will become NML?s busiest visitor attraction.

The three-storey museum will showcase more than 6,000 objects currently in store, many of which have never been on public display before.

They include an Overhead Railway carriage and the early 19th-century Lion steam locomotive.

?The Overhead Railway carriage will be the centre piece of the port gallery that will explore the exoticism of the greatest port in the world.?

There will also be a section on The Beatles, which Dr Fleming claims will ?give the Beatles back to Liverpool?.

?We want to tell the story of why The Beatles could only have come from Liverpool, it was not an accident that the greatest cultural phenomenon came from this city.

?We believe it is the biggest new museum building in this country in 100 years, and it will be the world?s only museum that is devoted to a single city. Liverpool?s is such an extraordinary story that it deserves it.?

davidbartlett
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast