Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The New WH Smiths

Borders pwns WHSmiths and Waterstones anyway.

Gididi Gididi Goo.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Not that I am a fan of WH Smith...but they could have gotten themselves a bigger space in the L1, if they were so despirate to be there!

Church Street was better...you could actually breathe in that store! I'll stick to the one in Birkenhead...user friendly with the Post Office separate from the shop!
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

WH Smith Is only useful when you want a magazine the corner shops don't have.

Drinks and sweets In there are a rip off!
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

The new WHSmiths is unbelievably poor. It is hard to understand what they are seeking to achieve by this move. The premises are cramped and the ground floor slopes in various directions. Shelving is high, making visibility bad. The magazine section seems to have less than one third of the space it had along the wall in Church Street. Books appear to be largely limited to best sellers and are usually more expensive than most rivals. The previous fairly large local history section was almost non-existent when I last visited. By contrast their Birkenhead store is now about 5 times the size of this one!

Anybody wanting books in Liverpool One will do far better by walking a few more yards to visit the much more spacious and light & airy Waterstones outlet. They have a good stock and their staff know their books!

If the thinking they have shown in Liverpool continues it is not hard to envisage WHSmith becoming another major high street casualty, just like Woolworths. Nothing they sell is unique to them and their competitors now offer all their products far more competitively.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gregs dad View Post

This seems to be a very popular place for people taking a break from shopping
    and would be an ideal place for some entertainment
    Great pic thanks havent been home for a while so have only seen TV pics of
    L1 when it opened. I agree some form of entertainment a la Covent Garden
    would be fab for lunchtimes etc it seems perfect with the steps to get a good view for all

Default WH Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post
    I called into the new WH Smiths today in L1...It's very small!!! I was so dissapointed.
    What was wrong with the old one?

thoughts anyone?

I havent been in there yet but it seems to be a new policy, they have down sized the store in Speke too. Less staff and lower running costs I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post
    I was in Rapid a couple of days ago and asked the assistant...They're moving into the old George Henry Lee buillding...but it won't be for a couple of years
    because M&S are moving in there temporarily while there building is refurbished...
    I was in Rapid on Saturday, and I asked the same question !, I was told that due to " the present economic climate" we are putting the move on permanent hold.

I don't expect WHSmiths to last much longer in its current form. The airport branches might turn a decent profit but most people buy their books etc from Tescos . I buy mine online

I think you're right Angelcake,( does such a thing still exist,these day's?)
    Smith's seem to lose thier way,about 10 yrs ago, and appear to have gradually run the operation down! The competition have captured thier customers, and with shops like the L1 branch,(no escalator!) I cant see them going back!
    Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    I think you're right Angelcake,( does such a thing still exist,these day's?)
    Smith's seem to lose thier way,about 10 yrs ago, Steve.
    must have been after I left ha,ha,

Angel cake, of course! Didn't they used to sell it in "Woolies"?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12