Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Albion Street

Quote Originally Posted by Pennylane View Post
    Yes that would help alot .. I'd like that very much ..
    Those photographs of Tommy Whites are quite foreboding and depressing i think , they capture nothing of the life of the place ......
    I think they look depressing.

George

I think they look depressing.
    No more depressing than the Tower blocks they built when TW's was demolished,most of whom that lived in Tommy Whites ended up in the tower blocks...what this smeant they went from isolation to total isolation with nowhere for the kids to play,at least in Tommy Whites they had large squares where they could play and mothers could keep an eye on em over the balconeys,eck! parts of Tommy whites even had small green fields.

Tower blocks weren't very appealing either.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    You're off the radar there,Ged...that wall you're on about is the old Tommy whites wall as Penrose street is the other side of St Domingo Road.if this the wall you're on about?
    George. Are you sure that wall isn't on Penrose Street which is on the East side of St. Domingo Road - I'm sure it is.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

No more depressing than the Tower blocks they built when TW's was demolished,most of whom that lived in Tommy Whites ended up in the tower blocks...what this smeant they went from isolation to total isolation with nowhere for the kids to play,at least in Tommy Whites they had large squares where they could play and mothers could keep an eye on em over the balconeys,eck! parts of Tommy whites even had small green fields.
    The Tower Blocks weren't built when TW was demolished, they survived side by side with each other for close on 20 years.

George

George. Are you sure that wall isn't on Penrose Street which is on the East side of St. Domingo Road - I'm sure it is.
    That is correct,Ged....I thought you were on about the little wall unning alongside Albion House,hence me posting a pic of where Albion House used to stand.

That is correct,Ged....I thought you were on about the little wall unning alongside Albion House,hence me posting a pic of where Albion House used to stand.
    No, I was on about the wall in pic 2 of the 4 x b&w STWG pics as per my post below:

23 Hours Ago #41
    Ged

The lower part of the wall in pic 2 which was sandstone and still there now was the original perimeter wall of St. Domingo House of which there was quite a bit of history attached to it and I would have thought it could have been retained and another plot of land secured for the tennies.

George

3 pics here,Ged,Debra of the washouse on St Domingo...guess the other two where are they..

Used to work in the washhouse after schooltime my wages for the week was 2/6 2 shillings and sixpence and a bath when I wanted it(Or needed it )
    I was only knee high to a grasshopper and these dryers where summat like 9 foot high 2 foot wide and about 7 to 8 foot long,I had to slump all the dirty bath towels on the racks and then push this bloody great door into the drying chamber and then wait half hour or so and then take em off the racks and pile em up in the office.

Closing time I had to brush the floor and mop it down,eck the mop was huge and wide.

Happy days...not!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ln(1).jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	15629   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Public Laundry  St. Domingo Rd.(1).jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	210.7 KB 
ID:	15630   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	(1).jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	15632  

2nd one is Beacon Lane, that's the old orphanage on the left which became Rosenblatt's furniture store aka the woody.

3rd is looking West towards St. Georges Heights.

As for happy days or not.

I don't know. It was harder waking up to the cold though my mar or dar always had the coal fire going in the tennies before school time. It made hot milk over weetabix a neccessity that we've probably lost now.

Margaret Streets baths were freezing. Nobody would get out the water to go the toilet for a pee as it was like the antarctic and it was probably only the wee that kept it warmer. However, how atmospheric it was - and hollow sounding with kids voices ringing out. It's warmer with more convenient changing rooms etc these days but I still love having had our younger days experiences as like the kids of today, we wouldn't have known any difference thinking todays comforts have always been there. Just think how much harder the generations before you had it being barefoot in dingy old courts with no drainage, open raw sewage on the streets etc etc....

George

Spot on Ged,that washhouse is the front of the pic you posted in post #18 of Grecian Terrace,

Pennylane

Ahh , i really miss the washouse , i was sent on weekly excursions with the bedding .. I was about 10 at the time , the women used to hang the sheets on the maidens for me because i was too small to reach them , then some of the other girls would help me to put them through the ironer . I miss the smell of the washouse and the warmth , and the chats as i got older ..
    My Mother never visited the washouse , she was very glamourous , she said the steam in there would make her false eyelashes fall off , and cause her hair to drop , so i was sent instead .. Oh to have those days back .

George

Some more Tommy Whites,Sheila....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2584291390_21a7febb55.jpg 
Views:	768 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	15684   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44233222.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	15685   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2583632499_1093fbca37.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	15686  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234