Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Albion Street

George

Default Albion Street

does anyone have a pic of this street taken roundabout the late 60's or before the area was demolished?

Albion street ran parralel with StGeorges church,cannot remember the street name and the wall of StGeorges graced the street all the way down,the other street at the bottom of Albion Street was Northumberland Terrace.
    Albion Street was at the back of StDomingo Road,in the street was a club at the top if memory serves me right it was called "Albion House"? you used to go up a flight of stone steps to go into the hall.
    I wus a nipper when I lived there in the street but was a right romeo with the young ladies when they used to sit outside on the steps.

What a site this is so many memories of the past.

Thanks for helping out if ya can.
    George.
    Last edited by George; 06-26-2008 at 04:59 AM.

Albion House is still there George but don't know if it's still in use or not. I have some pics of the flats/maisonettes on my site below.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

George

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Albion House is still there George but don't know if it's still in use or not. I have some pics of the flats/maisonettes on my site below.

Hi Ged
    Awsome site you have put up there alas it was the houses before the maisonettes I was interested in as someone argued with me there was no front gardens in Albion Street.
    There was as we lived one of the houses opposite to the ones that didn't have front gardens.
    They were on a bit of turf and a privvy edged bush but they was big enough and to bury our dog in.

As soon as their summer shut down is over, I will be at the LRO so will have a look for old shots of Albion Street and let you know George.

George

As soon as their summer shut down is over, I will be at the LRO so will have a look for old shots of Albion Street and let you know George.
    Much appreciated Ged.
    For the life of me I can't even remember the street after Albion St going towards nethy way,I remember a very old grocery store and thats it?

Anyone remember a climb of a very steep wall I'm sure it was called the cat walk? and it might of been part of the john bagot building left there after the hospitals demolished state?

Cheers.

Would the street going north have been York Terrace, Hobart Street or Torr Street? It may even have been abolished during the redevelopment.

George

Would the street going north have been York Terrace, Hobart Street or Torr Street? It may even have been abolished during the redevelopment.
    Hi Ged
    Ok I've remembered...
    You had Albion Street, at the top by StGeorges was Torr St,at the bottom was York Terrace and the next street was Northumberland Terrace.

Yay,the grey matter is still working,just got to give it a thump now and again.
    As someone said "dont look at me like that or I'll give ya a Nethy Gob".

George

Blog Entries

Hiya George
    welcome to Yo

heres a photo of Havalock St looking towards Albion St,with the wall of the John Bagot hospital

photo from this website
    http://www.emanuensis.btinternet.co.uk/image.htm
    http://www.emanuensis.btinternet.co.uk/george.htm
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

George

Quote Originally Posted by robbo176 View Post
    Hiya George
    welcome to Yo

heres a photo of Havalock St looking towards Albion St,with the wall of the John Bagot hospital
    Hi Robbo
    Thanks for the welcome.
    I did browse that site and came acroos those pics.Havalock street was my playground around 64/5 as its where a few of us urchins made it our race track,we used to get some wide boards and nail a piece of wood on the front of the board to act as an handrail,we would then wax the boards underneath with a candle and from the top of Havvy we were pushed down the street on the boards.
    You had to have no sense to do this because at the bottom was a busy Nethy road and before you got to the bottom you rolled or jumped off the board or you'd end up having a relationship with a car or vans side.

Cheers.
    Last edited by George; 06-26-2008 at 06:10 PM.

George

Hey just remembered I have a DVD of a film made in the 50's or 60's maybe I can take some stills off it as pictures?

The film was "The Violent Playground" and is mainly based around Gerard Gardens with loads of clips around Scottie Rd ect.

George

I have it - 1957 Rank - released in 58, not many of Scottie in it though. Perhaps 'Us and them' by Peter Leeson, available at the Rotunda College, Gt Mersey st for just a £3 donation would be better. Ring them on 0151 207 2176.

Default albion st it was greacion terrace my nan lived next 2 albion boys club schorahs

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    does anyone have a pic of this street taken roundabout the late 60's or before the area was demolished?

Albion street ran parralel with StGeorges church,cannot remember the street name and the wall of StGeorges graced the street all the way down,the other street at the bottom of Albion Street was Northumberland Terrace.
    Albion Street was at the back of StDomingo Road,in the street was a club at the top if memory serves me right it was called "Albion House"? you used to go up a flight of stone steps to go into the hall.
    I wus a nipper when I lived there in the street but was a right romeo with the young ladies when they used to sit outside on the steps.

What a site this is so many memories of the past.

Thanks for helping out if ya can.
    George.

My older brother knocked around with an Albert Schorah - an unusual name. They lived in the St. Joseph's area, perhaps Cazneau st at one time too, in fact I think one of the family still live in Christian st?

George

Quote Originally Posted by crowy View Post
    Ok I'll let ya off with that Crowy as I was a nipper and cannot remember soe street names,I left Albion Street in 71/2?
    because of the clearing.

The club had a footie pitch at the back didn't they? it was on StDomingo and was put up where some shops had been knocked down?

George

Hi again Ged
    If you can also have a look for StDomingo as well,ie on the opposite side to "Tommy Whites" more to Stgeorges church area as there were a couple of shops that had tenaments over them.
    They were more like flats because you had to climb a few sandstone steps and when you got to the walkway it had castiron railings all the way along.

Cheers.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast