Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fairfield - St John the Divine Church

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    My view is that things are never black and white and my reasons for Lastly, if the church is sitting there and costing nothing to anyone, I cannot see why, if it is in such a bad state, they have not brought in anyone to have a detailed architects view. It is my understanding from the outside of the tower that the problem lies with the spire and not the tower and that the removal of the spire alone would be far less costly than having to demolish the entire site.

When I complete the website, I would love to see the local's reaction on this and have already spoken to the neighbours of the church who don't want to see it demolished, just so the grass can grow.
    Good idea. Perhaps all people who live within the parish boundary, and who would like the church to remain, can be persuaded to put their hands in their pockets to help pay for this. Clearly the church goers themselves don't seem able to fund the church's repair out of their church funds.

Location Kensington drone_pilot's Avatar

Some images taken today (23/06/08) Im gratfull to the Church Warden Jim for permission to take the internal images of St John's.

A view of the Worship room, now being used as a store.

A cross in the Worship room (And a reflection of me)

Where a Memorial plaque once stood

The Baptismal font.

A view from outside

A view of the community room now serving as a Place of Worship

And Another View

Some views from the outside

These last is a biggie so please Be patient.

Click for full size image.
    Last edited by drone_pilot; 06-23-2008 at 06:57 PM.
    multi multa; nemo omnia novit

chippie

thank you Drone for bringing back to me the paths I,d walked so many times in the year or so I was there, great pics mate.
    Last edited by chippie; 06-24-2008 at 02:26 PM.

My view is that things are never black and white and my reasons for becoming involved in this project are for two reasons.

First of all, I hate to see any Churches go in Liverpool. We saw the demolition of Emmanuell Everton church where there was nothing wrong with the church. The bells had to be removed and were installed in Christ Church Bootle.

The reason for demolishing Emmanuell was to put the inner ring road through there - and to this day, the 'footprint' of the church is paving slabs!

St John's is one of the last historical buildings that stands out for the village of Fairfield and would be a crime to pull it down for that reason only.

However, I am mystified as to why the Daily Post's article have given this church as 'lots of masonry falling off and is a danger to the public'. My viewing of the external walls yesterday found little evidence of this and want to bring this to notice.

Lastly, if the church is sitting there and costing nothing to anyone, I cannot see why, if it is in such a bad state, they have not brought in anyone to have a detailed architects view. It is my understanding from the outside of the tower that the problem lies with the spire and not the tower and that the removal of the spire alone would be far less costly than having to demolish the entire site.

When I complete the website, I would love to see the local's reaction on this and have already spoken to the neighbours of the church who don't want to see it demolished, just so the grass can grow.

Shouldn’t the Redundant Church’s Society be contacted?

Blog Entries

The Churches Conservation Trust deal with derelict churches that are of significant interest, I doubt St John the Divine would fit that catagory.
    http://www.visitchurches.org.uk/frontpage.asp

The Friends of Friendless Churches might be a good bet, they are the oldest and have a less stringent manifesto.
    http://www.friendsoffriendlesschurches.org.uk/

There are a few more but these two seem the biggest and most able.

I would like to draw everyone's attention to the 'Save our Spires' website which I have designed and constructed from scratch in about 4 days.

http://www.fairfieldspire.co.uk/

This is an on-going website and while it may do nothing at all to save the building, nothing ventured nothing gained in my book.

I've already passed this address and info on to SAVE/English Heritage and other Societies that will be interested.

Also contacted the local and a couple of national rags. Feel free to pull it to bits as I need lots of sleep and I don't really care

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by fortinian View Post
    The Churches Conservation Trust deal with derelict churches that are of significant interest, I doubt St John the Divine would fit that catagory.
    http://www.visitchurches.org.uk/frontpage.asp

The Friends of Friendless Churches might be a good bet, they are the oldest and have a less stringent manifesto.
    http://www.friendsoffriendlesschurches.org.uk/

There are a few more but these two seem the biggest and most able.
    Only Listing by English Heritage will guaranteee it not being demolished.
    The "new" interior isn't going to help, though.

chippie

Default St John the Divine

Brother Cadfael that is a great site you,ve put up for St John the Devine, and thank you for the mention but I did but nothing to further your efforts, you did brill all on your tod mate bravo

Campaigners battle to save landmark church spire and tower
    Jun 18 2008
    by David Bartlett, Liverpool Daily Post

A CAMPAIGN has been launched to save a “landmark” Victorian church tower and spire from demolition.

Preservationists have opposed plans to demolish St John the Divine church, in Holly Road, Fairfield.

The church council said it needed to be bulldozed because of its dangerous state. A spokesman added: “Structural engineers have advised that there are major problems with the church spire which make it a very serious health and safety risk.

“The repair work could cost anything up to £500,000 and would need to start immediately, so the church council felt we had no other option.”

The building will be demolished and the church will use the proceeds to further its work in the community.

The church now meets at L’arche, Lockerby Road, Liverpool.

Last night, the city’s historic environment champion Cllr Berni Turner said she had asked English Heritage to recommend the building be listed. The church was built by Victorian architect W Raffles Brown and has been a landmark since it was consecrated in the 1850s. The Victorian Society said that, as many of the Victorian houses to the south of the church are due to go as part of the Edge Lane widening scheme, demolition of the tower and spire could strip Fairfield of one of its last historic features.

David Garrard, Historic Churches Adviser of the Victorian Society, said: “The loss of the tower and spire would be a great shame. It is one of the last surviving markers of Fairfield’s affluent past, as well as being a significant landmark today.”

Preservation campaigner Jonathan Brown said: “This is a highly prominent historic feature on the main highway approach to the city along Edge Lane, and forms part of a unique ensemble of ecclesiastical landmarks that punctuate the journey into Liverpool from the motorway network.”

Source: Liverpool Daily Post

The website went in the Echo tonight but I don't get a copy - if anyone can scan it in for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Campaigners battle to save landmark church spire and tower
    Jun 18 2008
    by David Bartlett, Liverpool Daily Post

A CAMPAIGN has been launched to save a “landmark” Victorian church tower and spire from demolition.

Preservationists have opposed plans to demolish St John the Divine church, in Holly Road, Fairfield.

Source: Liverpool Daily Post
    Let's hope that all those who wish to preserve the church actually start attending it on a regular basis. Perhaps then it might have a chance of survival.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Let's hope that all those who wish to preserve the church actually start attending it on a regular basis. Perhaps then it might have a chance of survival.
    Miracles might happen!
    I'm reminded of campaigns to save cinemas where 1000s of people sign petitions, but don't actually patronise the place, which then closes quietly because of lack of customers.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Miracles might happen!
    I'm reminded of campaigns to save cinemas where 1000s of people sign petitions, but don't actually patronise the place, which then closes quietly because of lack of customers.
    Exactly my point !!

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    The church isn't in my area, not do I have any association with the chuch. I was asked to provide a website to highlight the plight of this building, that's all.

The church isn't in my area, not do I have any association with the chuch. I was asked to provide a website to highlight the plight of this building, that's all.
    It was just a general comment not aimed at you Cadfael but I do feel it's pointless trying to preserve an old building that no few then attend, cf for example St Margaret's, Toxteth which had £500,000 spent on it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast