YO! Liverpool
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Harrowby Street?

  1. #1
    Newbie Alan Smithee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Harrowby Street?

    Anyone remember Harrowby Street? It's no longer there but it used to run off Granby Street.

    I lived there in the mid to late 60's as a kid, just wonder if anyone else remembers it...?


    ADVERTISING



  2. #2
    Newbie Alan Smithee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Ahhh...that's interesting. It is still there, sort of. It's now a Close instead of a Street.

    When I lived there it used to run from Granby Street to Kingsley Road.

  3. #3
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    I remember the street. Did you go to Granby st school by any chance ?

  4. #4
    Newbie Alan Smithee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I...probably did. Can't really remember much about the school, it was a very long time ago.

    I do however have vivid memories of a cinema in Granby Street, can't remember what it was called.

  5. #5
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Our resident cinema expert Philip will tell you. He may log-in today.

  6. #6
    Newbie Alan Smithee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I can remember going there twice.

    My very first visit when I was a nipper was to watch a cartoon show. I got threepence off my mum and went in with my sister. I sat at the front, and they used to change the colours of the lights shining onto the curtains, and for some reason this frightened me and I started crying. I eventually got my money back and bought some sweets instead.

    Second visit I went with my mum in the evening, and sat upstairs in the balcony. For years I could never remember what the name of the film was we saw, I just had a recolection of a guy sitting on a barge on a canal, and he threw his sandwiches overboard because they tasted horrible, same with the flask of tea. Years later I was watching The Bargee, a sixties comedy with Harry H Corbett, and lo and behold there was that scene.

  7. #7
    Briden briden27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Age
    71
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re Harrowby Street

    I lived in Harrowby Street for a short while around 1967.I was staying with my Brother.His name was George and his wife was Dorothy.I cant remember the number

  8. #8
    Newbie BIGJUDDA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Harrowby Street

    Harrowby Street followed by Northbrook Street followed by Rosebury Street then Eversley Street. The school in Kingsley Road was St. Bernards and this was a R.C. School and Granby Street was a Liverpool Council School. The Cinema was called the Princes and was next door to Granby Street School. Ah Ah the memories of me delivering newspapers to all those streets - the papers were collected at the top of Upper parliament Street and the first street to be delivered to was Cadogan Street off Upper Parliament and situated just past Kingsley Road, after you had walked down Upper Parly passed Unity Boys Club and Crown Coachways (that should bring some memories back) Whittakers grocers store on the corner of Maynard Street and the Clock Pub in Kingsley Road. This would be about 1953.

  9. #9
    Tom"O" Tom"O"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Perth.Western Australia
    Age
    76
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    [QUOTE=BIGJUDDA;188932]Harrowby Street followed by Northbrook Street followed by Rosebury Street then Eversley Street. The school in Kingsley Road was St. Bernards and this was a R.C. School and Granby Street was a Liverpool Council School. The Cinema was called the Princes and was next door to Granby Street School. Ah Ah the memories of me delivering newspapers to all those streets -

    Judda arr kid, you forgot Hatherley St right opposite the school, between Roseberry and Eversley,Chris and Kevin Dhuala lived there,heard Kevin went on to do good on a kids programme on the telly
    I picked my Football Echo's up on the Boulevard and Northbrook and mucked out in the shippen at Sunters dairy in Selbourne St.
    Happy days eh
    Tom"O"

  10. #10
    Tom"O" Tom"O"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Perth.Western Australia
    Age
    76
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Harrowby St-Granby Ward-Princes Park.L8

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
    Ahhh...that's interesting. It is still there, sort of. It's now a Close instead of a Street.

    When I lived there it used to run from Granby Street to Kingsley Road.
    Alan arr kid, when I lived in Northbrook, '40s/'50s&'60s. Harrowby ran from Park Way (Princes Avenue) across Mulgrave,across Granby to Kingsley. Mable from Waterworths lived in the Kingsley Rd end

    Tom"O"

  11. #11
    Newbie edward bebbington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default newbie edd

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
    Anyone remember Harrowby Street? It's no longer there but it used to run off Granby Street.

    I lived there in the mid to late 60's as a kid, just wonder if anyone else remembers it...?
    hi alan i lived 138 harrowby st and went to granby st school 1948 - 1957 we had a class reunion two weeks ago met a lot people a had not seen for 50 years we had a fantastic time more planned edd

  12. #12
    newbie memo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    milton keynes
    Age
    72
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edward bebbington View Post
    hi alan i lived 138 harrowby st and went to granby st school 1948 - 1957 we had a class reunion two weeks ago met a lot people a had not seen for 50 years we had a fantastic time more planned edd
    I lived in mulgrave st whent to granby st school. tell me when you plan to have a reunion next time,

  13. #13
    Newbie Mick Ludden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Mick Ludden

    My Uncle Harold Sunter was the main man at Sunter's Dairy In Selborne Street. I used to help on his milk run in all the school holidays and sometimes muck out the shippen - might have bumped into you Tommo! Some of the happiest days of my young life late 50s, early 60s. I remember Uncle Harold saying the only time he ever cried in all his life was when he finally got rid of the last of his cows. And there was old Wilf by the fire with his big walrus moustache saying "Michael, with 'is shovel an 'is pykle" when we came back for the next load of crates to put in Uncle's green Morris Minor open-back van, and I had to laugh every time because he thought it was right funny! And I used to spend my earnings crossing over to wander the Birkenhead Docks every afternoon and buy shipping books at the Pier Head. He got me a few days on a tug boat too - the Foylemore. Wonderful times even if I did get a hiding from some Selborne Street lads one time, because I was a Brummy!

    ---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

    Oh yes, and Harold Sunter and my Aunty Vera lived at number 27 Harrowby Street, gosh it could fit a lot of us in at holiday time! Sorry, its Tom "O" isn't it,

  14. #14
    Tom"O" Tom"O"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Perth.Western Australia
    Age
    76
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Happy days indeed Mick, left the area mid '50's to go seafaring for 43 years,mucked out in the shippen,watched the cows calfing,helped with the pasturising etc', loved taking the cows to pasture in Woolton. Ah fond memories of Wilf,Harold,Vera and your cousin with the ginger curly hair.
    Their relly's lived at the bottom of our street(Northbrook) think they were the Harrisons ?

    Loved them jaunts along the Dock Rd, skipping L'ers and relieving the peanut wagons of some of their load.

    Take care arr kid
    Tom O

  15. #15
    Newbie Liz w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Sunter's dairy

    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Ludden View Post
    My Uncle Harold Sunter was the main man at Sunter's Dairy In Selborne Street. I used to help on his milk run in all the school holidays and sometimes muck out the shippen - might have bumped into you Tommo! Some of the happiest days of my young life late 50s, early 60s. I remember Uncle Harold saying the only time he ever cried in all his life was when he finally got rid of the last of his cows. And there was old Wilf by the fire with his big walrus moustache saying "Michael, with 'is shovel an 'is pykle" when we came back for the next load of crates to put in Uncle's green Morris Minor open-back van, and I had to laugh every time because he thought it was right funny! And I used to spend my earnings crossing over to wander the Birkenhead Docks every afternoon and buy shipping books at the Pier Head. He got me a few days on a tug boat too - the Foylemore. Wonderful times even if I did get a hiding from some Selborne Street lads one time, because I was a Brummy!

    ---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

    Oh yes, and Harold Sunter and my Aunty Vera lived at number 27 Harrowby Street, gosh it could fit a lot of us in at holiday time! Sorry, its Tom "O" isn't it,
    Hi Mick

    Really enjoyed your post, my grandad was John 'Jack' Sunter, Harold's brother. I have so many photographs and cattle prize certificates from the dairy, I even have the clippers they used to cut the cows nails with. I would love to learn more about my family. Was Wilf married to Alice? and what relation was he to my great Uncle Harold. Do you remember my grandma Flo 'Betty' Sunter and was my dad John your cousin?

Similar Threads

  1. dickenson street/canning street/kent street
    By shirleya in forum Architecture in Liverpool Suburbs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-05-2008, 02:08 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-10-2008, 12:54 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @yoliverpoolpics / Join the Facebook Group: YO! Liverpool Pictures

× Thanks for coming to the web site. Support our future by turning off your Ad-Blocker or consider a donation via PayPal or Credit Card!