A turn of the century photograph of the now demolished Aigburth Vale High School. It was demolished in the 1990s and the land used to build upmarket flats. Not a great deal of fuss was made at the time – mainly because the site was no longer green belt. The finished flats do not diminish the approach to Sefton Park, in my opinion, although former pupils of the school must be saddened to have important memories of their lives removed.
The proposal to develop Sefton Park Meadows just up the Drive are an entirely different matter. Mayor Joe Anderson had decided that the short term gain of a few million pound from developers is more important than the large triangle of land that most people have always taken for granted as part of Sefton Park, albeit on the other side of the road. I have constantly commented on how the city’s heritage is being chipped away piece by piece. As each piece disappears, it become easier to remove the next. There have been, as yet unfounded, rumours that the municipal golf course at Allerton is being eyed at for a similar sell off.
What next? Money might be tight but removing green space is a dangerous precedent. I notice there is an action campaign. I urge all right thinking people to get involved: http://www.facebook.com/SaveSeftonParkMeadows

More...