Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Lime Street Area

Unhappy

I wasn't quite sure where to post this so i'll try here. I have noticed recently that alot of the buildings and statues etc in town haven't been lit up. One night last week the chinese arch, st georges hall, the anglican cathedral and st lukes weren't lit up. Does anyone know why? St georges hall in particular hasn't been fully lit for months!

PhilipG

Default ABC Cinema, Lime Street.

Does anybody know why scaffolding has gone up on the former ABC (Forum) cinema?

Default ABC

I noticed workmen today up at the 08 banner on on the former ABC in Lime Street.

It looked as though they were about to remove it. This could be a signal that work is about to start on the building.

I believe that a well-known footballer had wanted to transform the empty cinema into a sports bar but was refused permission.

I'd love to see it brought back into use.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ross08 View Post
    I noticed workmen today up at the 08 banner on on the former ABC in Lime Street.

It looked as though they were about to remove it. This could be a signal that work is about to start on the building.

I believe that a well-known footballer had wanted to transform the empty cinema into a sports bar but was refused permission.

I'd love to see it brought back into use.

The banner was still there this evening.
    Scaffolding can also mean demolition.
    There are signs on the building saying "Dangerous site".
    Last edited by PhilipG; 05-02-2007 at 12:51 AM.

I think those 'dangerous site' notices can also mean the building contains dangerous materials. Owners don't like to broadcast that information, though.
    Asbestos was mentioned on page 4 of this ABC thread:
    http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/...ead.php?t=4651

Get down there phil, with your camera...mobile phone masts are to be erected. The following is from the Liverpool City Councils' Planning Applications site:

07L/0232 Current Status Decided
    Site Address The ABC Cinema, corner of Elliot Street & Lime Street, Liverpool, L1 Applicant Vodafone Ltd
    Applicant Address Vodafone House, The Connection, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 2FN
    Proposal To erect flagpole to the front to house antennas, 2 face mounted antennas to west elevation, 2 antennas to south east elevation and a further pole mounted dish antenna to south west of building chimney

Date Notice Posted: 14/3/07

I was wondering about the new scaffolding too-I'd forgotten about that app for phone masts so it's probably that. Certainly not demolition-that would have been an application I'd have noticed!

Dave.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by skgogosfan View Post
    I was wondering about the new scaffolding too-I'd forgotten about that app for phone masts so it's probably that. Certainly not demolition-that would have been an application I'd have noticed!

Dave.
    They won't need scaffolding for phone masts.
    They just go on to the roof.

The scaffolding means something major - it's right along the entire frontage.

I just hope they get rid of that ugly 08 banner. I took these yesterday...it does seem strange to have scaffolding all the way around. Normally they'd just use a crane and cherry-picker to install phone-masts...unless they're going to be massive ones. Maybe it's a health and safety issue, with all the public down below. Let's hope they give the building a clean while they're up there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABC_Lime_St.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	2723   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABC_08_Banner.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	2724   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back_Lime_Street.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	2725  

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    I just hope they get rid of that ugly 08 banner. I took these yesterday...it does seem strange to have scaffolding all the way around. Normally they'd just use a crane and cherry-picker to install phone-masts...unless they're going to be massive ones. Maybe it's a health and safety issue, with all the public down below. Let's hope they give the building a clean while they're up there.
    It looks like the scaffolding is going over the banner.
    I'm beginning to get worried.

Location Kensington drone_pilot's Avatar

Maybe it's there as a protection from damage when they demolish that ugly tower next to the station.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by drone_pilot View Post
    Maybe it's there as a protection from damage when they demolish that ugly tower next to the station.
    One of the reasons for scaffolding going up on a building is to protect passers-by from the demolition of that building, not from a neighbouring building that's being demolished.

The phone masts are the most recent planning application...decided only a couple of weeks ago, so I still think that's what they're doing. Looking at the planning application there are at least half-a-dozen going up, so maybe it's a big job. The time to get worried is if you see dust netting getting placed around the scaffolding.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    The phone masts are the most recent planning application...decided only a couple of weeks ago, so I still think that's what they're doing. Looking at the planning application there are at least half-a-dozen going up, so maybe it's a big job. The time to get worried is if you see dust netting getting placed around the scaffolding.
    It's a Listed Building, so I wonder why the phone masts have got permission (which won't see the building being used) and not the application to turn it into a night club, which would have involved putting in more windows.
    I know they're going to argue that phone masts aren't altering the building, but they'll certainly alter the art-deco look of it.
    I still think that all that scaffolding is there for a bigger reason than phone masts.

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    It's a Listed Building, so I wonder why the phone masts have got permission (which won't see the building being used) and not the application to turn it into a night club, which would have involved putting in more windows.
    I know they're going to argue that phone masts aren't altering the building, but they'll certainly alter the art-deco look of it.
    I still think that all that scaffolding is there for a bigger reason than phone masts.
    Personally I would say (and not just quoting you Phil but the list) that all the scaffolding IS there just for the phone masts. I've been working on putting a bell frame in St Barnabus Penny Lane and part of the big hold up was to wait for Orange to put in some phone masts. They covered the entire tower with scaffolding and you'd think that walking past, they were going to demolish it. Within the tower the built a false floor to hold all their gubbins up - so maybe what they are doing does suffice for the amount of metalwork around the building?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2424.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	539.8 KB 
ID:	2729

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Jona76 View Post
    Personally I would say (and not just quoting you Phil but the list) that all the scaffolding IS there just for the phone masts. I've been working on putting a bell frame in St Barnabus Penny Lane and part of the big hold up was to wait for Orange to put in some phone masts. They covered the entire tower with scaffolding and you'd think that walking past, they were going to demolish it. Within the tower the built a false floor to hold all their gubbins up - so maybe what they are doing does suffice for the amount of metalwork around the building?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2424.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	539.8 KB 
ID:	2729
    I hope you're right, Jona.
    Phone masts are better than demolition, I suppose.

I've been given the email address of the letting agent for the building, so hopefully I'll be told what's happening.

I've just remembered.
    The phone masts on the Gaumont near me were put up without scaffolding.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 05-03-2007 at 03:12 PM.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast