YO! Liverpool
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lime Street Area

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar
    Thanks

Hasn't a down-scaled design been submitted to the council because that one was too tall and would spoil the Lime Street Gateway? Personally speaking, it is all ready spoiled by the facarde of the St Johns Carpark! I wish that a mock facarde could be put up around the carpark so that it fit's in with the surroundings.

ADVERTISING

Thanks

Its a great looking building

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wallasey View Post
    Hasn't a down-scaled design been submitted to the council because that one was too tall and would spoil the Lime Street Gateway? Personally speaking, it is all ready spoiled by the facarde of the St Johns Carpark! I wish that a mock facarde could be put up around the carpark so that it fit's in with the surroundings.
    I don't see how that would spoil the Lime Street Gateway.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar
    Thanks

But hasn't the tower pictured been changed because it is in breach of the Tall Building's Bill? I know that there have been two designs submitted anyway...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wallasey View Post
    But hasn't the tower pictured been changed because it is in breach of the Tall Building's Bill? I know that there have been two designs submitted anyway...
    That's the Chieftain tower just behind this you're getting mixed up with,the tower in that render already has planning permission and will be 28 storey's,incidentally the Chieftain tower had appealed this decision and has just lost its appeal.

Thanks

Who the hell started that tall buildings bill?

Thanks

City centre development refused

Developers have lost a long-running battle over proposals for a multi-use development in Liverpool city centre.

The development was turned down
    following a public enquiry

Plans for a 160-bedroom hotel, more than 150 residential apartments and business space in two tower blocks near Lime Street Station have been refused.

Liverpool Council rejected the plans last summer so the developers appealed and a public inquiry was held.

But the government has also turned down the plans, saying the proposals would impact too much on surrounding areas.

In a report it claimed that the proposals would impact on the world heritage site, the William Brown Street conservation area and the listed buildings within it.

It also said that none of the benefits of the proposed plans - by Limerick-based developers Chieftain Construction Ltd - would outweigh 'the very real harm' to the townscape and heritage of the city.

Source: BBC NEWS | Merseyside

Thanks

Lime St tower appeal rejected
    Aug 19 2006
    By Sam Lister Daily Post Staff

A LAST-DITCH appeal by developers wanting to build a £50m hotel and tower block near to Liverpool's Lime Street station has been rejected by the Government.

Irish firm Chieftain launched an appeal last year after city planners turned down their application for a 32-storey building, fearing it would dominate the area.

But Ruth Kelly, Secretary of State for Communities, backed the decision and threw out the scheme.

Last night, Liverpool City Council claimed it was a vindication of the decision taken by its planning committee.

But Cllr Peter Millea, executive member for regeneration, said the city centre had lost out on a vital development.

He said: "This scheme was just what the area needed. It is not just about a block of flats, it's about everything that attracts.

"It would bring shops and amenities, which are desperately needed in that area.

"That part of town needs some landmark features. The scheme also offered good quality accommodation. We cannot just keep churning out cheap social housing.

"People want the type of housing that it offered.

"I'm disappointed by this decision."

Chieftain, under general manager Sean O'Sullivan, commissioned heritage consultants Roger Wools and Associates to carry out a comprehensive assessment of its proposal on the site in Skelhorne Street. They reported that the scheme would "preserve and enhance" the surroundings.

Although the inspector believed it would meet regeneration and housing requirements, the appeal was turned down because of the impact it would have on the William Brown Street conservation area, which is part of Liverpool's World Heritage Site.

Mrs Kelly also backed the inspector's findings that a cluster of tall buildings by Lime Street station would dilute the essence of the character of the area historically and visually.

Chieftain's only option of attempting to revive the project now is to take it to the High Court, but it is believed unlikely that will happen.

The company always believed the council turned down the plans because its tower was just yards away from another tall building being constructed by public sector body English Partnerships as part of the Lime Street Gateway project, which council officers have backed.

Chieftain feared the council favoured the public sector scheme at the expense of its own.

English Heritage had also raised concerns about the Chieftain plans, claiming skyscraper style developments around Lime Street would have a serious impact on historic buildings. CABE - Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment - called the tower inelegant and over- complicated.

A city council spokesman said: "The planning inspector is an independent expert who has thoroughly vindicated the planning committee's stance on this application."

No one from Chieftain was available for comment last night.

Source: icLiverpool

Thanks
    Blog Entries

THE subway linking Lime Street station to St John's Centre is to be filled in as part of a major package of works to improve the appearance of Liverpool's main railway station. more
    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

If you like the website, please donatevia PayPal!

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks

Default Bolton Street, behind Lime Street

My great great grandfather, a dockyard porter, was living with his family at 13 Court, Bolton Street in 1851.
    I understand these old courts were terrible dumps with groups of slum houses surrounding a single outside toilet that served for all the houses in the court. The sewage would often run out and form open cesspools of stinking filth in the courtyard.
    Will Bolton Street disappear with this new development?
    I wouldn't be sorry, just interested.
    In the 1850s his family moved around to different rented houses, Queens Place, Hodgsons Place, Clayton Street in various Courts..7,13,18.
    Can you wonder that so many people died in childhood those days.

His son William made a great leap forward and moved out to Wavertree.

Thanks

it's a ****ing joke the amount of projects being knocked back especially tall buildings.

Why dont english heritage the labour government and the lib dems sling their hook.

I dont care what the old moaners say a centre right capitalist party would be better for Liverpool.

Thanks

urban If you want the tories back you must be too young to remember their last performance.

Mrs. Thatcher did something good for me though, she made me emmigrate!
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Thanks

A Liverpool Thatcher would sort this city out for good.

We have had 10 years of the Lib Dems ---granted a massive improvement on the pathetic Labour councils of the late 80s and 90s.

Prior to that we had a Stalinist administration which drove us back years.

As the Tories havent governed Liverpool for decades no one can judge what they would do.

Thanks

Great idea urban, A Thatcher in charge could cut all benefits the the disabled and mentally sick, let the *******s starve, remove all council taxes from people who live in homes worth 200k and more. It is easy to imagine what another Thatcher could do. You have a sick mind.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Thanks

You raise some interesting issues Urban. Whilst I have little time for the Lib-Dems locally or New Labour nationally they were elected by their respective constituencies. It is up to the Tories to convince the electorate that a centre right party would be better.

PS. One of the benefits of age is that we remember what actually took place during the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Thanks

To get back to the original point Lime Street is a disgrace.

The North Western Hotel looks awful and would be better if it was returned to a hotel.

The stretch between the ABC cinema and the Big House is terrible.

Why are these developments to improve the place being knocked back?

It is because the political will is not there and the city is over regulated.

Thanks

Got to agree with that. It does look a shambles - half of Lime st looks like a dump. Yes, the North Western would be a fantastic hotel and should revert to that.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Urban View Post
    A Liverpool Thatcher would sort this city out for good.

We have had 10 years of the Lib Dems ---granted a massive improvement on the pathetic Labour councils of the late 80s and 90s.

Prior to that we had a Stalinist administration which drove us back years.

As the Tories havent governed Liverpool for decades no one can judge what they would do.
    So, let's make sure we don't give them the chance to screw up again then.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Thanks

Default FINALLY....

Lime St revamp to go ahead

THE government has confirmed compulsory purchase orders on shops at Lime Street station which should allow work to start on a £46.5m revamp by next spring.

A public inquiry into plans to demolish the row of shops in front of the station approved the orders earlier this year, and the Secretary of State has now confirmed the order.

A spokeswoman for the developers said they hoped to begin demolition work on the shops and the Concourse tower block by late spring next year.

scouserdave

Great news Paul
    The area outside Limey looks like a dump.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

At ruddy last
    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

If you like the website, please donatevia PayPal!

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks

Let's hope they now offer them decent compensation so they don't appeal.

Thanks

great news finally the eye sore will be ridde of!

Thanks

Threat to Gateway as owners fight CPO
    Oct 23 2006
    by Staff Reporter,

Liverpool Daily Post

ONE of Liverpool’s biggest city centre makeover

schemes, the Lime Street Gateway, could face a new delay after traders vowed a legal challenge to a demolition plan.

At least two businesses remaining

in a block of doomed shops fronting Lime Street last night revealed they are considering going to the High Court to appeal against the confirmation of a

Compulsory Purchase Order.

The CPO has been issued to force the shops to close to enable the frontage to be demolished.

The plan is to remove

the 1970’s arcade of shops as well as “eyesore” Concourse House to pave the way for a multi million pound makeover.

Last night the owners of the Henry

Bohn bookshop, and the International Leather Store both confirmed they will seek legal action to halt the

plans.

Story continues...

Thanks

I had a feeling this might happen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I had a feeling this might

happen.
    Me too! As usual, a tiny minority of people in Liverpool challenging something that is going to benefit everyone else. This

happens too much in this city. Whats all this about it being a building site for Liverpool's birthday! So what! I would rather there be a building site

there than a scatty tower with some derelict shops. Lets not forget, the sooner this gets going, the sooner it will be finished. I really hate this city

sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

I second that, the way some people stand in the way of progress

seriously annoys me. Surely these businesses can continue to thrive elsewhere in better surroundings. As for the building sire thing, I dont see what the

problem is - cranes and workmen show signs of a city moving forward. If Liverpool wants to draw a line at development for 2008, schemes will be lost

elsewhere and developers wont come back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SteH View Post
    I second that, the way some people stand in the way of progress

seriously annoys me. Surely these businesses can continue to thrive elsewhere in better surroundings. As for the building sire thing, I dont see what the

problem is - cranes and workmen show signs of a city moving forward. If Liverpool wants to draw a line at development for 2008, schemes will be lost

elsewhere and developers wont come back.
    Agreed! I hope that some projects aren't complete for 2008 because if everything is finished, people

will come once and then not come again for years. Wheras if there are projects still in development, they will want to come back again and again. This is

what London is like. They dont set deadlines for all projects to be complete, they redevelop constantly which is what every city should do, including

Liverpool.

Thanks

Angry

I am appalled by the above comments.

To develop any area existing homeowners and businesses should be offered a level of compensation that allow them to continue elsewhere. The current policy

of offering people a pittance thereby making them homeless or putting them out of business is a disgrace. It should be challenged by far more than the

occasional visit to the high court.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    I am appalled by the above comments. To develop any

area existing homeowners and businesses should be offered a level of compensation that allow them to continue elsewhere. The current policy of offering

people a pittance thereby making them homeless or putting them out of business is a disgrace. It should be challenged by far more than the occasional visit

to the high court.

These people aren't only offered money, they are also offered new premises. The reason they are

offered a pittance is because their properties are only worth a pittance, although I wouldn't call £120,000 a pittance when they are also being offered

alternative premises aswell!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast