Thread: IMHO, Liverpool is a architectural masterpiece. Do you agree?

Default IMHO, Liverpool is a architectural masterpiece. Do you agree?

It's a great city! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlbjA9k14SE

I just watched this viedeo and assured about that one more time!

Yes, that video sums up what is good about Liverpool's architecture, showing the things that make Liverpool unique. But the impression I received, when I revisited the city last November, is that the city is doing its best to remove all the distinctive elements, and replace them with bland (if modernistic) buildings that are similar, if not identical, to structures that can be found anywhere else in the UK. Very soon, you'll need to check your sat nav to work out which city centre you are in.

Absolutely! The wealth of magnificent old buildings in Liverpool is AMAZING!

I agree Danensis......I was planning on doing a full tour of my old haunts when I am next up...but I feel I will find it all a big disappointment as from what I can see on many of the posts here so much of the Liverpool I knew has gone....

I have travelled extensively through Europe since returning from SA and have found that many cities have retained their fabulous architecture while still constructing new buildings that some how manage to blend it....still as long as ...to quote the song..... 'The Pier Head's still there' and the Anglican Cathedral and a few other notable structures then I will be happy.....I suppose it comes down to the cost...often cheaper to pull down and re build than to try to repair and maintain older buildings.....sad really but then thats life I suppose

www.liverbuild.co.uk chrismarsden's Avatar

As far as I can see.
    Most of the buildings that have been pulled down have been eyesores any way.
    The old bus station, car park and some of the buildings round there were not exactly significant.

John(Zappa)

Quote Originally Posted by Edorfeus View Post
    It's a great city!
    I just watched this viedeo and assured about that one more time!
    Shame about that awful tune. It's a OK city

Quote Originally Posted by danensis View Post
    Yes, that video sums up what is good about Liverpool's architecture, showing the things that make Liverpool unique. But the impression I received, when I revisited the city last November, is that the city is doing its best to remove all the distinctive elements, and replace them with bland (if modernistic) buildings that are similar, if not identical, to structures that can be found anywhere else in the UK. Very soon, you'll need to check your sat nav to work out which city centre you are in.
    Though you wrote this in June.. I do feel about the same as you.. I just wish they still had Chevis Park and the green area in the City to enjoy still.. It used to be lovely just to sit on the grass .

The element of open-air, and views of the Mersey are being blocked, was sad to me..

Still a lovely City when you take a moment to step out a bit.. Still enjoy Liverpool and its Culture..