Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Swan in general

QUOTE=Samp;164161]Not Taverners, Lindylou. I think it was Williams' toffee, it was only a small place and may have been used for something else, although the old sign was still up. It was next door to John Peck and Company.[/QUOTE]

this is the one I was thinking of :
    http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...4375-17559192/

it wasn't a very big place. Was there another sweet factory too ? I remember Williams toffee

Quote Originally Posted by hmtmaj View Post

I have been thinking for a while of doing a webpage(s) on Old Swan in particular, as I was born there and have lived here al my life.
    Would anyone be offended if I used some of the info and pics from here, I will credit the source where possible.

It may be a while before I release it but it's something I've always wanted to do. Mart
    Go for it Martin I would like to see that one online as im a fellow Old Swanie.

I have a book written in 1913 that covers Old Swan history, some goos stuff in it. Its called " West Derby, Old Swan and Wavertree " written by James Hoult. You may have it already? if not I could pop it round to you.

I have a few pics of Old Swan on my site, you are welcome to use any if they are any good to you.

http://spikesaycheese.piczo.com/olds...linkvar=000044

Good luck with this project, If i can help give us a shout
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Quote Originally Posted by hmtmaj View Post
    According to a 1968 map attached .. a warehouse
    Mart

Well I never knew you were dyslexic Mart. That says W-horehouse.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

The premises of J.H. Robinson & Co. (Liverpool) Ltd in Mill Lane in the 1950s. Joseph Robinson founded his stove enamelling company in Grafton Street in 1869 but as the business expanded a brass foundry was added which produced various components for the gas industry. As the business developed it moved to larger premises on North Hill Street in the 1880s but following the outbreak of WWI in 1914 the firm switched to production to munitions and even larger premises were acquired in Mill Lane, Old Swan and the outbreak of WWII and the firms capacity to turn out anything connected to the gas and communications industry saw it devote all its capacity to the war effort.

Willey's was established in Exeter in 1861 by HF Willey, becoming a public limited Company within 4 years, the founder becoming a prominent citizen, Alderman of Exeter, later Sheriff of the city and then Mayor in 1893. Following his death just one year later his son, Henry took over and led the business into an era of expansion. Willey's produced the first 'coin in the slot gas meter' in the early 1900s and again during the war, they too played their part to the full producing a tremendous range of war material including depth charge firing pistols for the admiralty.

Robinson's and Willey's were destined to eventually become associated when in 1929 their parent company, United gas Industries Ltd came into being, the two firms merging to form Robinson Willey, but only in 1962.

In 1976, they made my parents a little happier when doing away with our coal fire in the tennies and fitting one of their new range gas fires having won the Corpy contract for all their tenement stock.

Information and photo from 'Liverpool Memories' book.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Go for it Martin I would like to see that one online as im a fellow Old Swanie.

I have a book written in 1913 that covers Old Swan history, some goos stuff in it. Its called " West Derby, Old Swan and Wavertree " written by James Hoult. You may have it already? if not I could pop it round to you.

I have a few pics of Old Swan on my site, you are welcome to use any if they are any good to you.

http://spikesaycheese.piczo.com/olds...linkvar=000044

Good luck with this project, If i can help give us a shout

Cheers Tony, I have that one and a few others, which I am going to reference

And to Ged

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    QUOTE=Samp;164161]Not Taverners, Lindylou. I think it was Williams' toffee, it was only a small place and may have been used for something else, although the old sign was still up. It was next door to John Peck and Company.
    this is the one I was thinking of :
    http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...4375-17559192/

it wasn't a very big place. Was there another sweet factory too ? I remember Williams toffee [/QUOTE]

Hello Lindylou.

The place I am refering too was only small and was on the site of the K F C at the top of Edge Lane, it definitly had the name William's toffee on the front but I dont know if it was still opererating as such.

I am going back to the late 70's now.
    Last edited by Samp; 03-03-2009 at 08:35 PM.

ahh, I know the spot where you mean - KFC is up by where MFI used to be.
    I don't remember the sweet factory though.

One for Mart.

As promised. Taken to record the conversion of a house to a shop on the corner of Fitzgerald Road and Ravenswood Road. 24.4.1935.

That shop was less than 50 yards from where Martin used to live in Fitzgerald and is still there now although it's hasn't been used as a shop for years. I think Hassan who had the shop still lives there.

Fitzgerald Road is a couple of roads away from where I live. I remember the shop being opened, I think it shut about 10 years ago. However, I passed there a couple of weeks ago and I thought it had opened up again. Perhaps there was just some work going on.

Thanks for that picture Ged - great.

You don't live in Pemberton do you? My sister and brother-in-law lived there up until 6 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by burkhilly View Post
    Fitzgerald Road is a couple of roads away from where I live. I remember the shop being opened, I think it shut about 10 years ago. However, I passed there a couple of weeks ago and I thought it had opened up again. Perhaps there was just some work going on.

Thanks for that picture Ged - great.
    Burkhilly, I was born and brought up in Fitzgerald Rd, that shop, believe or not was my local !
    When I was a youngster, many moons ago, my mum ( god rest her soul ) used to send me down with a list and I never remebered paying
    That's because my Dad used to get paid on a Thursday and my mum would pay the "slate" off then.
    Another tale:
    The people who used to afford us that luxury " Marje and George Strain" looked after the locals and let them have credit, as it was in the "olden days" ( 1970's). A Couple of years ago, who should move in next door to me but Marje and George Strain. Lovely people who "looked" after the local communty. So, with your permission, I'll print the pic and pass it on to them, Thaks Ged, Still looking after us, Mart.

P.S.
    Burkilly, your son, hopefully will be getting a call to arrange an interview in the next day or two ( mon or tues ).
    Martin

Great pic Ged.

My wife remembers buying sweets from that shop
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

The Phot Of the shop has captured a woman do'ing her step and path on her knees.wonder how many do that now.

Burkilly, your son, hopefully will be getting a call to arrange an interview in the next day or two ( mon or tues ).
    Martin[/QUOTE]

Thanks Martin - that's great.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast