Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Old Swan in general

Hi Andy, if you live in Rathbone Road, Oceanic Road or Runic Road and your rear or forward view is of Rathbone Park, I can understand your concern. As regards part of Binns Road disappearing, well, as it's not a through road from Gamel Street and hasn't been for many years, it shouldn't make any difference. I've worked on Binns Road for nigh on 30 years and personally, I hope that the sooner it's done the better as it's in a sorry state right now.

Quote Originally Posted by M1796_01F Landscape MASTERPLAN
    "There is the opportunity to integrate this feature as a theme with with public artwork around the wider Edge Lane development."
    Public artwork? Do they mean GRAFFITI? More work for Banksy?

Never put anyone on a pedestal... THEY'LL LOOK DOWN ON YOU!

My family used to have a printer`s shop in Prescot Road, Old Swan, close to the P.O., the premises are now a pet shop. I wonder if there are any photos around showing the building as the printers, it used to have a canvas awning bearing the name `John Donald`. The printing business finished around 1947, I think, although the shop awning was still in use in the 1950s. The founders lived off St Oswald Street in a street that is no longer there, near where the health centre is today. Later they moved to Guernsey Road, off Green Lane. The great uncle who took over the business lived in West Oakfield Park.

Which Street of St Oswalds St did they live ?

Mart
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Mart, I`m blowed if I can find my note of the street concerned - I believe it was almost opposite Macqueen Street. They lived also at 72 St Oswald Street at one time, I think that was the address at the 1891 Census.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenkethPedant View Post
    I believe it was almost opposite Macqueen Street.
    It was Gascoyne Street which was in later years changed to Hubert Street for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by JMLE View Post
    It was Gascoyne Street which was in later years changed to Hubert Street for some reason.
    Thanks for that, although the names don`t ring any bells: I think maybe I was trying to work out where 72 St Oswald Street would be if the properties were still standing. No idea how I came to place that number to somwhere opposite Macqueen Street though.

Thanks for that, although the names don`t ring any bells: I think maybe I was trying to work out where 72 St Oswald Street would be if the properties were still standing. No idea how I came to place that number to somwhere opposite Macqueen Street though.
    If you put 72 St Oswalds Street into Google maps, it says it was where the new'ish medical centre is.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=72+st+oswalds+street&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnea r=72+St+Oswald's+St,+Liverpool+L13+2,+United+Kingd om&gl=uk&z=16

Thanks for that, thought it was around that area - wonder if any photos exist showing that old area of St Os Street, also when the houses that were there were demolished.

I have seen pics of Rock St and Rock Court, which were a bit lower down St Oswalds st.
    Before the flats were built, where Tesco is now.

Mart

My family used to have a printer`s shop in Prescot Road, Old Swan, close to the P.O., the premises are now a pet shop. I wonder if there are any photos around showing the building as the printers, it used to have a canvas awning bearing the name `John Donald`. The printing business finished around 1947, I think, although the shop awning was still in use in the 1950s. The founders lived off St Oswald Street in a street that is no longer there, near where the health centre is today. Later they moved to Guernsey Road, off Green Lane. The great uncle who took over the business lived in West Oakfield Park.
    Not a picture of the printer's shop but there is this Google Books result that shows a book printed by "John Donald, Printer, 556 Prescot Road, Old Swan." The publication is the Journal of the Liverpool Geological Association, Volume 6, 1886.

Cheers

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Thanks for that, thought it was around that area - wonder if any photos exist showing that old area of St Os Street, also when the houses that were there were demolished.
    Not quite as far along St.Oswald st.as you want,but here's acouple of pic's which you might like,anyway!

Photo's courtesy of Ann,and L.R.O.?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ST OSWALD ST..jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	18149   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ST.OSWALD ST.1906.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	258.7 KB 
ID:	18150  

The houses in that area were demolished in the early 1930s when there was a whole programme of variouis slum clearances including that of Hoults corner on St. Oswalds street. It was then widened and the tenements builts as the new way forward housing with indoor bathrooms, hot and cold running water, electricity power supply and points, balaconies with window boxes and central squares containing playground aparatus for the residents children safebeing.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default Glyn Boyd.Australia

Quote Originally Posted by carole1000 View Post
    What a small world, my grandad lived in No. 43 his surname was wynn, he died in 1977 but my brother bought his house with his then wife and they had a son Gareth, they are divorced now but my ex sister-in-law still lives there. which number were you?
    Hey carole,Was your grandad ritchie wynn??? if so he was a mate of mine that moved to wavertree and we had a drink in the pub called the thatched house on the corner of wavetree rd and the road that led down to smithdown rd .his wife was maureen.i used to live in 81 orleans rd.

Hi Glynn,

Glimpse of Orleans Rd in 1976, 55 seconds in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MODcrT8pud8

Mart

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast