The Liverpool Food Association, later known as the Liverpool Food and Betterment Association from 1898-1900, became the Food and Betterment Association, from 1900-1909, And in 1909 the League of Welldoers. It was founded in 1893 by H. Lee J. Jones, a pioneer in the introduction of the middle-classes into social work. Under Jones, as Honorary Secretary, and the City Coroner, as President, the Association took premises in Limekiln Lane, Scotland Road, Liverpool and put up soup boilers. In the first season, dinners at 1/2d each (or free to the poorest) were distributed to eleven schools.
Other services followed, such as the distribution of food to housebound invalids by voluntary Lady Attendants. To many this was quite literally a lifeline, without the charitable work of the League of Welldoers many people would have starved.