Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: old seaman's mission panels?

Default The story so far...

The panels at Malmaison were removed from the Liverpool Sailors' Home just prior to its demolition in 1974. I am told that these six panels were given to one of the volunteers who helped remove the ironwork (Volunteers were from Liverpool Museums and Liverpool University).
    It is a bit disappointing that there is no explanatory panel to explication their presence but this can easily be resolved.
    The ironwork in Portmeirion, along with the famous gates were removed in the early 1950s as part of post-war repair-work to the old building (100 years old at the time).
    The curved panels come from the corners of the flat-iron-shaped building (each corner had a different angle).
    I've filmed and photographed panels from the Home in various places, the furthest known example being in Portsmouth.
    You can also find them in Portmeirion, Caernarfon, Audlum (Staffordshire), London as well as various places in Liverpool (For security reasons I won't list these.).
    A large stash of the railings were stolen and some examples were sold in a London auction in 1979. Apart from the the example in Portsmouth - the provenance of all the other examples is known and can be traced back to the removal in 1950 or 1974.
    Liverpool Museums still hold a large collection of artefacts from the Sailors' Home including two complete cabins, one of which was on display in the old Museum of Liverpool Life. There are no plans to put any of the Sailors' Home relics into the new Museum of Liverpool, but some may be included in future, temporary exhibits.
    The following sites may be of interest: http://www.chesterwalls.info/gallery/sailorshome.html as it includes an image of the demolition showing that the railigs have been removed.
    If you have any images or artefacts from the Liverpool Sailors Home please contact me.
    Any other questions, please drop me a line.
    Steve Mckay
    Portmeiriana@hotmail.com
    Steve

I can confirm that the panels in Malmason were the ones from Staffordshire which I photographed in the 1990s.
    They were removed from the Home just prior to its demolition in 1974 and were given away as they were difficult to use, odd corner panels.
    They were used to create a very attractive shop counter.
    The owner sold them by auction to an interior designer when he retired in 2006.
    The designer installed them at Malmason.
    My investigation has lead me to locate another two panels in Portsmouth.

Default There is more Good News for fans of the old Liverpool Sailors' Home

As part of the redevelopment of the site of the St Thomas's Church on Paradise Street by Grosvenor, the site has now been laid out as a memorial garden to all those who are buried there including Joseph Williamson.

The centre piece of the garden is a carved stone replica of the Liver Bird which once adorned the Sailors Home on Paradise Street and which was temporarily stored at the Williamson Tunnels Heritage Centre during the construction of Liverpool One.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12