Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Everton history and clearance areas

One for Samp but I suspect you might already have it.

The Shrewsbury Club at 33 Portland Place in 1908.

The secretary of this establishment was The Reverend Digby Bliss Kittermaster M.A. and was also incument as missioner and chaplain to the reformatory ship 'Akbar'.

Information and photo courtesy of Paul Bolger's fantastic book - Edwardian A-Z part two.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thanks for that Ged, we have got a copy of that picture.

The Reverend Digby Bliss Kittermaster M.A. (What a name to conjure with.)

Kiddermaster was concerned about the plight of the young lads around the city and decided to do something about it, he was an old boy of Shrewsbury Public School and he contacted other old boys who were in business in and around Liverpool and also the school, he begged and received, donations to start up the club. Hence the name, ?Shrewsbury Boys Club?
    Opened in 1903 in Mansfield Street and moving three years later to the building in the photograph.

I have a letter written by him describing the opening and the suspicion of the first lads who entered on the first night thinking it may have been a set up. When I scan it into the computer I will post it up it makes good reading.
    Last edited by Samp; 02-21-2009 at 07:10 PM.

Default shewsy

Quote Originally Posted by Billy D View Post
    Hi Samp

I used to go to the Shewsy Disco in the early 70s,,,Also i went on a couple of Midnight Hikes to Moel Famau,,,,,I dont know to this day how most of us got up there wearing platforms,,,,,,

Be nice to see a few pics from that era

Great Days,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

BILL
    hi billy i used to go to the shewsy my self in the early 70s with the likes of willy collins gordon read steve leahey and ronny naden

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I have been asked by a couple of people if anyone on Yo can supply a photograph of Taliesin Street. It ran between Scotland Road and Great Homer Street and was cleared in 1966. I have exhausted all the usual sources and have actually found pictures of all the surrounding streets such as Dalrymple St, (where Schofields was) Louis St and Mould St.
    Hi there,
    It was William Mould St if I remember right my dad used to have a yard there where he parked his wagons plus one in Kew St. Does anyone remember the bike shop corner of Dalyrmple St .Frank O'Neils?? they used to sell every Matchbox toy as they came out 1/6 each in old money.Used to wlk up past Schofield's to get to the new flats in Skirving St these were part of the rejuvenation and they have now been demolished
    How about trying to list the shops on both sides of Great Homer St from Great Mersey St to Paddy's Market( Cazeneau St Market)Starting with the Co-Op Dairy, Grocery and Butchers bottom of Conyers St then there was a gap where Jason and Media St filled the space where Crete St was bombed snd then a little general shop bottom of Thomas St. Post office was across the road on the corner

Hiya Doris, yes there was a Mould St and a William Moult St. Take a look at the post war b&w pics on my site below and you might well see the yard as there is some industry on the photo. I have an Edwardian A-Z with a list of all the shops on Greaty but long before our time of course
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by bobo View Post
    Hello all

Does anyone have any memories of a Caros Street off Netherfield Road? I have learned that my great grandad lived there in 1911 and I'm trying to work out where it was and what it was like. Seems to have been in the vicinity of the John Bagot Hospital. I'd be interested to hear what anyone remembers or knows of that street...

Thanks!
    Don't know what the area is like now but in the 60s John Bagot Hospital was a redbrick building with a high wall surrounding it the street was on the north slopes those steep streets that were murder during winter kids used to make slides by pouring water on the hard packed snow and many took a fall.It would have been past York Terrace. There were some big houses in those streets usually well cared for you know lace curtains and scrubbed steps and polished brasses and the plant in the window.

George

Quote Originally Posted by bobo View Post
    Hello all

Does anyone have any memories of a Caros Street off Netherfield Road? I have learned that my great grandad lived there in 1911 and I'm trying to work out where it was and what it was like. Seems to have been in the vicinity of the John Bagot Hospital. I'd be interested to hear what anyone remembers or knows of that street...

Thanks!
    Caros Street was behind John baggots at the top,it was next to Pyramid street and Northumberland Terrace ran parrallel to it at the top of the street.

ps Caros Street, it wasn't off Nethy as Nethy was at the bottom of John Baggots.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234