Knotty Ash, Old Swan and West Derby by G Radley A& R Publications Liverpool. ISBN 09502197 11.
The manor of West Derby was recorded in the Domesday Book and belonged to Edward the Confessor. 1086 DERBEI. Within the manor was a game reserve, a forest, a wood and a hawk’s aery.
Court House at West Derby can be seen today near the former tram terminus building (converted into shops in February 1986).
Heyworth’s Monument, erected by Mrs P Heyworth of Norris Green upon the site of the altar of the ancient Chapel of West Derby.
Old maps and plans, note spelling DARBY.
In small garden, top of Meadow Lane, village POUND site, where the stocks were.
In midst of West Derby Village today can be seen the STOCKS, the shame and ridicule apparently cured drunkenness! 1605 Act of Parliament ruled that being drunk was punishable by a fine of five shillings or six hours in the stocks. West Derby stocks were originally wooden, then made of iron in 1800. Stone carving was placed by the stocks in 1904 to commemorate the coronation of King Edward VIII.
The ancient town of West Derby had its own castle, built by the Normans. Site can still be seen today (grass area left of Meadow Lane). During resign of King John the castle at West Derby had a full garrison of 10 knights and crossbowmen 140 foot soldiers. It had a drawbridge and houses within. It seems that the castle was expensive to repair, being on sandy foundation. It fell into disrepair and was pulled down. The site was levelled in 1817.
Deysbrook. The family of Deys were most ancient in West Derby records with them going back as far as 1300. The Brook may have the fed the dam belonging to the watermill at West Derby from the 13th Century onwards.
Deysbrook Hall, Henry Blundell Hollinshead Family. Late 18th Century and early 19th Century. House was demolished in 1955. Land is now the site of Deysbrook Barracks.
Sandfield Park House. On the wall of the barn is a carving in the stone 1635 GS AS for George Standish and Anne Aymount married in 1628.
One of the lodges of Croxteth Hall situated at West Derby Village.
Ancient Chapel of West Derby was in the centre of the village and is marked today by a PILLAR near the centre of the road.
First Baptism recorded in 1688.
First Marriage recorded in 1698.
No records of burials, as there was never a churchyard at West Derby Village.
The old chapel was demolished in 1853. Replaced by Church of St Mary the Virgin. Present building was designed by Sir Gilbert Scott. Foundation stone was laid by Earl of Sefton, 1853. Built of red sandstone with Yorkshire stone pillars.
1849 West Derby Methodist Church opened at Crosby Green. Functioned as a day
school and a chapel. Present chapel built on same site in 1905. Church Hall
added after Second World War.
1878 Development of the Catholic Chapel in Bonsall Road.
1915 St Paul’s Roman Catholic Church was built.
1879 Cheshire Lines Railway was opened, running through Knotty Ash and
1896 Telephones came to West Derby.
1900 Electric Trams came to West Derby
Price in 1930, Liverpool to West Derby, was 2d.
Last tram to West Derby, 1949.
The tram terminus was converted into shops in 1986.