YO! Liverpool
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Overhead Railway Southern extention

  1. #1
    Location Kensington drone_pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    64
    Posts
    285
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Overhead Railway Southern extention

    I was taking photos of the Overhead Railway Southern extention,
    and i have a few questions someone may be able to answer.



    First, anyone any idea where this tunnel exited?










    ADVERTISING




    second, were these used for dock or rail storage, i know there's an image on Yoliverpool showing the first arch being used for car repair, but as you can see its now covered in moss and running water.

    I found one of the Arches door's had rusted away so i took a few images of the inside, i couldn't enter as there was a big muddy puddle in the way (I only had trainers on).

    Maybe they should be restored before it's to late.
    multi multa; nemo omnia novit

  2. #2
    Geek GingerTheCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Riverside Gardens, Liverpool
    Posts
    122
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Some good info here towards the end of the page

    Mike

  3. #3
    Senior Member Broliv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Liverpool L8
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    right by my flat too. Those case mates were used for storing stuff brought of the ships before being transported. they are constructed and licensed to store explosives and flammable materials.

    The railway line exited that tunnel from the dingle station and went over a bridge over the corner of the dock and the railway line onto the overhead railway .

  4. #4
    Local Historian Cadfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    494
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I remember that area well as it was over the road where I used to work.

    The casemates were once going to be completely shut off when the new flats were being built but a local group got behind the proposal and they were saved. It's a sad state looking at them now - are they all empty?

    They could be put to excellent use as storage or the like and seems a waste that they're being left empty.

  5. #5
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

  6. #6
    Senior Member Broliv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Liverpool L8
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I'm trying to see who owns them as i want to use one as storage. In fact No1 was my grandad's lockup about 20 years ago. If i find anything more i'll post

  7. #7
    Senior Member Waterways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,924
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    I remember that area well as it was over the road where I used to work.

    The casemates were once going to be completely shut off when the new flats were being built but a local group got behind the proposal and they were saved. It's a sad state looking at them now - are they all empty?

    They could be put to excellent use as storage or the like and seems a waste that they're being left empty.
    They were used for unusual cargo for security reasons - nuclear amongst them. Extensively used for secure items to and from USA in WW2.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

    Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?


    Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

    Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

  8. #8
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    They were used for unusual cargo for security reasons - nuclear amongst them. Extensively used for secure items to and from USA in WW2.
    They were originally designed for the storage of petroleum.
    Cut/blasted into the solid sandstone of a little cliff.
    I can't find a date in my notes (1880s springs to mind?) but I do have this:

    “Large quantities of Oil are stored in tanks on the Parkhill estate to the southward of the Herculaneum Dock, and 60 casemates, bored in the solid rock of the vicinity, are provided for the storage of oil in barrels, etc. Jetties have been constructed in the River Mersey for the discharge or load of the largest vessels or the smallest barges with oil cargo or fuel oil. The oil is stored in large tanks connected by pipes to the jetties; the southernmost of which has been so constructed as to enable the largest oil tanker afloat to berth and discharge her cargo by pipe lines direct into storage tanks. The second jetty is used for barge traffic. The total storage accommodation of the tank is 140,000 tons.” (Source: Ward Lock Guide. 1930s).

  9. #9
    Senior Member Waterways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,924
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    They were originally designed for the storage of petroleum.
    Cut/blasted into the solid sandstone of a little cliff.
    I can't find a date in my notes (1880s springs to mind?) but I do have this:

    “Large quantities of Oil are stored in tanks on the Parkhill estate to the southward of the Herculaneum Dock, and 60 casemates, bored in the solid rock of the vicinity, are provided for the storage of oil in barrels, etc. Jetties have been constructed in the River Mersey for the discharge or load of the largest vessels or the smallest barges with oil cargo or fuel oil. The oil is stored in large tanks connected by pipes to the jetties; the southernmost of which has been so constructed as to enable the largest oil tanker afloat to berth and discharge her cargo by pipe lines direct into storage tanks. The second jetty is used for barge traffic. The total storage accommodation of the tank is 140,000 tons.” (Source: Ward Lock Guide. 1930s).
    The quay adjacent to the casements were the coal quays. Large cranes would lift rail wagons and tip them into ship's holds. The far end could take "small" petrol tankers. I recall mainly Swedish and Dutch petrol ships berthing there. The coal berths were for the Kelly Line ships which took coal to Ulster: Ballimena and Ballikelly, etc.

    Only refined fuel was unloaded at Dingle. I recall the naptha scare of 1971, which could have exploded and taken out the whole area 1.5 miles around.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

    Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?


    Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

    Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

  10. #10
    Location Kensington drone_pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    64
    Posts
    285
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Thanks for that Philip, some good images there, when where thay taken?
    multi multa; nemo omnia novit

  11. #11
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drone_pilot View Post
    Thanks for that Philip, some good images there, when where thay taken?
    November 2006!

    It only seems like a couple of months ago.

Similar Threads

  1. Overhead Railway
    By davegore2005 in forum Liverpool Memories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-20-2010, 06:35 PM
  2. Overhead Railway Recreated!
    By Kev in forum Liverpool's Road and Rail Development
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 09:21 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @yoliverpoolpics / Join the Facebook Group: YO! Liverpool Pictures

× Thanks for coming to the web site. Support our future by turning off your Ad-Blocker or consider a donation via PayPal or Credit Card!