Thread: Smog?

Blog Entries

Exclamation Smog?

I was in town throughout the early afternoon and was greeted by what looked like a heavy mist from around Otterspool into town and beyond, was it smog?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

If you look at the Wirral Cam at the moment you can see a heat haze. I don't think it is a true smog, Kev, but it is still a little worrying.

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4120582.stm

I once walked home from Dale Street to Tue Brook in the early fifties when the buses stopped running due to smog. You could hardly see two or three yards in front.

Default How's your carbon sausage...er, footprint?

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I was in town throughout the early afternoon and was greeted by what looked like a heavy mist from around Otterspool into town and beyond, was it smog?
    Naaah Kev, likely it was all those cheapo beef(?)burgers and sausages incinerating on bloody barbecues whenever the sun comes out, contributing to 'global warming'.

We've just had the mother of all thunderstorms which put paid to a few around West Derby. Well, every cloud has a silver lining.

Anon

Never put anyone on a pedestal... THEY'LL LOOK DOWN ON YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    KEV

Smog was coursed by smoke polution being trapped in the atmosphere beneath a blanket of warm of air, it was very dense in the days of coal fires and industrial smoke. It may have been a similar layer of air trapping the ground mist.

Harborme is correct. I remember those days walking home when the buses had stopped running because the drivers could not see.

I remember two buses had driven up to the entrance of the Garrick cinema thinking it was the dept in Carisbrook Rd. Even distance became difficult to judge the smog was so dense.
    Last edited by Samp; 05-11-2008 at 07:42 PM.

Didn't the true smog kill thousands in London way back when.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    Naaah Kev, likely it was all those cheapo beef(?)burgers and sausages incinerating on bloody barbecues whenever the sun comes out, contributing to 'global warming'.

We've just had the mother of all thunderstorms which put paid to a few around West Derby. Well, every cloud has a silver lining.

Anon

I fully agree. That 'orrible stench of cheapo grease burgers - the moment a hint of sun appears - out they come .. the throw away barbecues ... there was one going full belt in one of the backyards last week - plumes of stinking smoke floating all over the washing ! .. and that was on a dull day before the nice weather came along.

it makes me laugh - barbecues in backyards .. with a scruffy alley on the other side of the wall, complete with bluebottles and rats !! Ha!

Default A smoggy day in London Town...

Never put anyone on a pedestal... THEY'LL LOOK DOWN ON YOU!