Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Images of Old Liverpool

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Philip, that's a good idea. It works just as well as a water mark
    The card was also put in a plastic cover, which reduces the resolution (is that the right word?), so, if necessary, the original could still be published in a book, in its original condition.

[QUOTE=PhilipG;130680]Short answer.
    Sue them.

I'm sure if someone was making thousands of pounds out of your images then you may have a case, but I'd love to see the looks on the Crown Court bods when you've spent £5000 just to have copyright claim to a few pictures.

PhilipG

[QUOTE=Cadfael;130703]
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Short answer.
    Sue them.

I'm sure if someone was making thousands of pounds out of your images then you may have a case, but I'd love to see the looks on the Crown Court bods when you've spent £5000 just to have copyright claim to a few pictures.

Find the thread I was referring to, Jona.
    You've been on this site long enough to remember it.

[QUOTE=PhilipG;130709]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post

Find the thread I was referring to, Jona.
    You've been on this site long enough to remember it.
    I will squire. I'll see what I can do. I do see your argument and it does annoy me when people sell items like the above on E-bay but there are millions of pictures out there private and personal and as much we'd all like to chop hands off from the people that have borrowed our pics, we can only limit the damage by watermarks and the like.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    That's the one.

Quote Originally Posted by shoney View Post
    but does having paid money for something give you copyright, i realise your genuine but that would not stand up in a legal argument
    Copyright law is complex. There are many considerations -
    1. Copyrights expire, anything over 75 years old is likely to be expired.
    2. Generally if you buy the one and only of something unique that includes the copyright.
    3. It also depends on the reasonable expectations of the parties, did the buyer and seller reasonably or manifestly expect to transfer the copyright? This would be the case if the picture was not commercially produced in the first place (such as a personal photo album sold after death by disinterested relatives) - but only if the seller owned the copyright! You can't sell something you don't own.
    4. There's the fair use doctrine, it's OK to publish a lesser version of something for review etc. purposes. There are many factors that go into determining "fair use" but the most important is "Does the use lessen the market for and value of the copyright holder's goods". If so then it's not fair use. Putting an entire Harry Potter book on the internet is not fair use, but putting one chapter with details of how to buy the full thing might be fair use even though the authoress can be expected to argue contrariwise.
    5. When you buy "works made for hire" you get the copyright - unless the contract expressly says otherwise. For wedding photos the contract invariably expressly says otherwise. A wedding photographer will of course sell the copyright - for a substantial additional charge.

Not of course definitive information but hopefully enough to help one publish and yet stay out of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by hmtmaj View Post
    I have emailed Knowhowe and offerd to send the CD called Images of Old Liverpool to him to check if there are any more of his on it. I have also sent the correspondence I am currently having with Ebay over the seller as it was probably about 2 years ago I bought the CD.
    The seller is ( or was ) making money out of it as I paid for it, maybe £10.
    I will hold off posting anymore until I hear from knowhowe and ebay. Martin
    I replied a few posts back telling you "not to worry about it- keep 'em coming".
    I wouldn't like to be the one to deprive everyone of the excitement of waiting to see if their pictures pop up in your next post!
    Chester: a Virtual Stroll Around the Walls-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info

The Liverpool Gallery-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/gallery/liverpool.html

The Chester Shop
    http://www.thechestershop.com

Chester & Liverpool Guided Walks
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/guidedwalks.html

Unless the photographer puts a "watermark" on the photo, it's a fact that anybody can copy them (which is fair enough) and then reproduce them without asking permission (which is not on).
    After seeing some of my older photos on other sites, and being told about yet more sites that they're on, I've stopped posting older photos, at least until I sort out a "watermarking" system.

Why is it that people who say things like "Publish and be D.amned" never seem to post photos?

You are quite right Philip, it must be annoying when someone is taking the credit for something you have done.

My own feelings are that if it is not my livelihood thats affected then anyone can have a copy of my photos. ( I know I have taken them and nobody can take that away.)

You will always get parasites in all walks of life, its no use worrying and getting upset, life is too short!

By the same token if a photo keeps cropping up in publications time and time again, who can claim copyright?

www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar

does anyone have an image Not Drawing of Liverpool Exchange Station The first one not second there where steps i saw the image once in a very old book i would love to see it again it was just as grand as the 2nd station which is still there today

Just had a quick google on some of the pics I was GOING to post from this exclusive CD ! and found a few of them on your website Knowhowe:
    AND you can just open up a pic and save picture as....
    The Lord St pic is there, Earle Road and the clayton sqaure one's.
    I'm not going to post anymore from this CD as clearly there is a breach of copyright and I don't have anyone to credit the pics too.
    I shall now close the can of worms.
    I shall post the sellers name from ebay and any other info on the person if they can trace him. Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by oritelad View Post
    does anyone have an image Not Drawing of Liverpool Exchange Station The first one not second there where steps i saw the image once in a very old book i would love to see it again it was just as grand as the 2nd station which is still there today

There was a picture of the one you mention hanging on the wall in the downstairs bar of Ma Boyles Oyster Bar, near St Nic's church, Its some time since I have seen it and the Bar has different owners now but the picture may be still there.

Location Kensington drone_pilot's Avatar

Why is it that people who say things like "Publish and be D.amned" never seem to post photos?

Phill if thats a sly dig at me

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...&postcount=211

then i sugest you check you facts first. i have posted a lot of images.

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8387
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8284
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5472
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7576

for a start.
    multi multa; nemo omnia novit

PhilipG

I'm very sorry, DP.

I didn't realise it was you who said those actual words.

I know you've posted lots of photos, especially the ones of the interior of Central Hall.

My comment was aimed at the people who DEMAND photos, but don't post any.

Location Kensington drone_pilot's Avatar

Ok Mate, sorry i took the high ground.
    multi multa; nemo omnia novit

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast