Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Genealogy-Who is into it?

One of my few ancestral connections with Liverpool is that my wife's great-great-grandfather, Peter Mayor CAMPBELL married Christina SYME, who at one time lived in Mason Street. Peter knew Christina, as she was the daughter of Adam SYME who had worked with him in the printing trade. Unfortunately Christina's brother was killed in the Tay Bridge disaster and I think the shock polished off the old man, leaving Christina an orphan at the age of 20. So Peter, who was 42 at the time married her, and the result was my wife's great grandfather.

I started this very addictive hobby about 3 years ago and can't stop now

It's difficult sometimes, but when you get a breakthrough it makes up for all the frustrations

My gt.grand-dad was called John Smith.....try finding him in the BMD registers I did find three great uncles that nobody now living had ever heard of, so that was brilliant. Sadly one of them had been placed in an asylum when he was 29...the reason given was melancholia These days he'd have been treated for depression, but he sadly died there from TB a few years later

I have found relatives who were old enough to have served in WWI but I can't find any records for them so far. I also had a sister who died at the early age of 11 months but so far I've found no trace of her anywhere either. Hey ho...I'll keep trying and enjoying the pleasure of searching.

A good magazine to try is Your Family Tree, easy to read, lots of useful information, and a free cd every month. They have an excellent forum as well, a really friendly place with loads of help and suggestions for everyone.

the website address is

http://www.yourfamilytree.co.uk

Give it a try and see what you think.
    Don't forget to watch Who Do You Think You Are on Wednesday evening. It gives a good insight about researching.

Squiggs ,
    Your not alone , it's amazing what skeletons crop up ,
    My lovely grandad a real gentleman , quiet reserved hard working etc , well ...
    He married a bigamist , makes a change it's normally the men , she not only married him , she ran off with his money , no one in the family ever spoke of this , until i purchased marriage certificates , then gradually the story unfolded.

Karen x

thanks to Genes Reunited I'm going to meet one of my Welsh cousins this week.

never got the hang of that cousins so many times removed whatnot, but we share the same gtgtgt grandparents. Part of his Scottish side are distantly related to the Roddick's of Body Shop fame. He says he's from the poor side of the family .

other cousins turned up on his doorstep all the way from the States a couple of weeks back. a line of family we couldn't follow through had emigrated after the coal mine closed.

my tree now has over 500 names on it.

expect lots of boring pics in the Wales thread by the weekend
    Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

Your Pics are anything but boring , look forward to seeing them ,
    Hope the meet goes well & you have a great time

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by gorgeous View Post
    Your Pics are anything but boring , look forward to seeing them ,
    Hope the meet goes well & you have a great time

Karen
    thank you, it's going to be a very wet meet as it looks like Anglesey is going to be awash with rain. still what's a drop of water when going back to the land of my forefathers

My Dads side of the family originate from Amlwch so some pictures would be nice ! the address on the 1851 census is something like Tclyie ? and on the 1861 census 49 Penycio Road, LLaindelyn ? the name was Thomas Hughes so should be really easy to find ! LOL !!!

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by seasidenan View Post

I have found relatives who were old enough to have served in WWI but I can't find any records for them so far.
    Hi Seasidenan

If you pm me their names/locations i could try looking for them.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by squiggs View Post
    My Dads side of the family originate from Amlwch so some pictures would be nice ! the address on the 1851 census is something like Tclyie ? and on the 1861 census 49 Penycio Road, LLaindelyn ? the name was Thomas Hughes so should be really easy to find ! LOL !!!
    Hi Squiggs, sorry won't be going that far up. Amlwch is the north coast and Llain Delyn is down the coast to the east.

I'm going to be around, Gaerwen/Pentre Berw/Llangristious which is south central.

Quote Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
    Hi Squiggs, sorry won't be going that far up. Amlwch is the north coast and Llain Delyn is down the coast to the east.

I'm going to be around, Gaerwen/Pentre Berw/Llangristious which is south central.
    One of my family tree branches comes from that area (1820s). Say hello for me to any Joneses you meet. One might be related to me !!!

Thumbs up family tree

hi all,
    i have been tracing my family tree for a few years now, i have got back to 1600 on my dads side but, cant get any further than myggrandfather on my mums side as he was italian. as much as i have tried i cant get anywhere, and now i dont even know if i have the correct surname for him so without knowing this i cant even begin, but up to now i have found it very interesting, i would love to be able to put faces to the names i have found, or still to go back in time and meet them to see what they are like and how they lived!!
    pat

Default Codman Family ( Punch and Judy Fame )

While tracing my husbands family history I found out that his great uncle married into the Codman family.

I can remember seeing a plaque on a house in Farnworth Street Liverpool that had the Codman name on it, does any one else remember this ?? if so what did it say ?

I am also in interested in who else lived in the house around 1950 as Farnworth street is given as the place of residence on a marriage certificate for another relative

any help or advise appreciated

cheers

Jan

Wink family tree

hi, Ive been doing mine since 2006,took me a while to get into it because I was green,now have over 3,200 rellies,they come from everywhere,very proud what I have found,some good some not so good, but what the f*** its still family,I belong to ancestry.com,anyone that wants info let me know and I will have a look for you.

Smile

I've been doing mine for about a year it is very addictive. I had a head start with a load of info about my Isle Of Man ancestors I didn't really have to do any work on them. I was told we had some Welsh ancestry and I've found a few of them. I've got a Jones that's taking time to sort out. I've found a Scottish mariner born in Greenock, Scotland and some ancestors that go back to the Bolton and Bury area. I didn't think we had any Irish ancestors but it turns out my Dad's Dad's (who doesn't have an Irish sounding surname) family all their ancestors came from Ireland.

Col

Much time, patience and money is needed, all of which I am short of

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast