Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Genealogy-Who is into it?

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Much time, patience and money is needed, all of which I am short of
    Long time no speak. How very true. It costs a bomb to get copies
    of all the records. To my mind, by now the BMD records should be
    available on-line for free, LRO take note :-)

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Long time no speak. How very true. It costs a bomb to get copies
    of all the records. To my mind, by now the BMD records should be
    available on-line for free, LRO take note :-)
    Hi Steve how's it going ?
    see you've been calling in here again just lately.

Partsky

Default Be careful with research; you can break your heart....

Interesting thread. Its strange how we all want to go back and find our past histories. My Dad never spoke of his past and did not want us to talk about it (which we now realise was due to the fact his Mum was not married when she had him) and Mum spent some of her childhood in an orphanage. My niece has researched the family tree but we found a fair bit of sad stories; paupers graves, workhouse births, and dead ends, plus interesting stuff like possible roma links; my niece and I laid flowers on graves relating to both sides of the family in Ford cemetery and I have decided to leave it at that. I think perhaps my Dad has cursed any further research. My niece carries on. Its too sad for me though. I will stick with the present!

Quote Originally Posted by Partsky View Post
    Interesting thread. Its strange how we all want to go back and find our past histories. My Dad never spoke of his past and did not want us to talk about it (which we now realise was due to the fact his Mum was not married when she had him) and Mum spent some of her childhood in an orphanage. My niece has researched the family tree but we found a fair bit of sad stories; paupers graves, workhouse births, and dead ends, plus interesting stuff like possible roma links; my niece and I laid flowers on graves relating to both sides of the family in Ford cemetery and I have decided to leave it at that. I think perhaps my Dad has cursed any further research. My niece carries on. Its too sad for me though. I will stick with the present!
    Yeh, it can be a double-edged sword,not the idealised image that you have, when just looking at a name,job,etc!I found out one of the reasons why my extended family,have never been closer,and probably never will be!

I have been doing my family tree since 2006 I've found out quite a lot!

My Nan on my mother's side who is 95 I did her side of the family first. Her mother's family surname ROGERS had a farm in Barton Upon Irwell in Manchester, 96 acres I believe. I found out that two children died of Scarlet Fever within the family, 2 days apart and were both brothers. I have found their grave as well and must pay a visit. I've gone back to 1785.

Her father surname YOUNG was from Bolton the only reason the family came to Liverpool was because Nan's grandparents moved to Canada as her grandfather was in the Navy. On the return via boat they arrived in Liverpool and never left. Talk about fate!!!

The thing with Nan's tree is she has been married three times, each time her husband sadly passed away. I did my half aunt's tree and found that the cousins where very rich and lived in Freshfields.

Then there is Grandad's family EDWARDS and they are hard to find because of the popular surname so a trip to the records office is in order. But I have found my great grandparents Harriet Ann BURROWS and James Edwards in Toxteth Cemetry and I have visited their grave. Their son William Edwards is also buried with them, he was killed aged 22 in WWII. Harriet and James married in St Nicolas church with her father Joseph Burrows in attendence, her mother Eliza died aged 51. They were from the Lodge Lane area but I think Eliza was originally from Shropshire.

On my Dad's side there is the surname LACY, so I've researched the name and according to the records we may have bee de lacy and came from Wexford and there are links to Normandy, I have gone as far back as my great, great Grandparents and althought my surname isn't that popular now, especially spelt without an E in the name it was quite popular year back so for accuracy a trip to the records office is needed to clarify a few things. Grandad's mother was called Mary Jane Jones, so can't get nothing from that as yet!

Nan's surname was originally FERGUSON which again is a nightmare, but I have worked out her family came from Ireland and not Scotland. I've found where her father Robert lived with his family. Her mother's surname was McIlvaney which I cannot find anything out at all other than the fact it could be associated with gypsies! Don't tell me I've gypsy blood!!!

I'm going to start getting back into this now both my girls are at school.
    Last edited by LiverbirdLou; 09-03-2009 at 09:58 AM.

Two weeks ago I went for short break in Llanfyllin in Wales !, this is where my GGrandfather John Maurice Jones was born, and his father Henry Jones and possibly his father Henry Jones !!!!.
    Llanfyllin does not appear to have changed much the High Street is much the same as when my ancestors lived there in the 1800's, my husband and I looked around the village and the graveyards but could not find any graves that appeared to be my family, but hey looking for Jones in Wales is like looking for sheep.
    The local library are really helpful , they have access to Ancestry but could not tell me anything I did not know already !, however they gave me the address of Powys archives who they said may help, yes they will look up records for you "at a cost".....?10 per look up , or ?20 per hour !!!, so if anyone knows anyone who goes to Powys archives let me know please as I have a mystery on my hands.
    John Maurices father Henry Jones was a post boy in llanfyllin, and died aged 39 in 1868, the cause of death listed on his death certificate is "accidently deaceased" I am very curious to find out how he died (an inquest was held on the same day as he died 1/2/1868).
    Johm Maurice came to live in Toxteth and is on the 1891 census in Liverpool.
    I often feel like Sherlock Holmes trying to find out all the clues to peoples lives !.

Default Looking for Burris - Delroy / Emanual ??

Im new to the site. and the area (born in Rochdale). I have been doing my family history for 7 year and I have now started on my dads side. He and my aunt were in care most of their childhood and I just want to put my family tree together. I do know that I have uncles in (or used to be in) Liverpool, Delroy and Emanual (Burris) other names that have been mentioned are Marie and Josephine. My fathers name is Vincent and I have an aunt Valerie too, along with Velma who I have never met. I have managed to go back 300+ years on my mums side. It would be nice to finish my book for my daughter (even if it takes me a lifetime). If anybody could help it would be much appreciated (you don't know how much).

Many thanks in advance.

Kim. xx

I believe some of my ancestors are Russian and Rumanian. I'll have to find out more about it ...Not sure where to look though

"If you want something doing, ask a man. If you want something done correctly, ask a woman"

Quote Originally Posted by K Loftus View Post
    Im new to the site. and the area (born in Rochdale). I have been doing my family history for 7 year and I have now started on my dads side. He and my aunt were in care most of their childhood and I just want to put my family tree together. I do know that I have uncles in (or used to be in) Liverpool, Delroy and Emanual (Burris) other names that have been mentioned are Marie and Josephine. My fathers name is Vincent and I have an aunt Valerie too, along with Velma who I have never met. I have managed to go back 300+ years on my mums side. It would be nice to finish my book for my daughter (even if it takes me a lifetime). If anybody could help it would be much appreciated (you don't know how much).

Many thanks in advance.

Kim. xx
    Delroy and Emanual are in Liverpool but I'm not sure how you would go about contacting them. The only thing I would suggest is putting an ad in Liverpool Echo 'Where Are They Now' or 'Old Pals' section.
    I know of them, but not well enough to know their contact details. I have seen Delroy in L'pool town centre.

.. I'll ask around some pals.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I believe some of my ancestors are Russian and Rumanian. I'll have to find out more about it ...Not sure where to look though
    Possibly Russia,and Rumania!

K Loftus, I have pm'd something which might help.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Possibly Russia,and Rumania!
    Oh hardy hah!
    Last edited by Kat; 09-11-2009 at 10:15 AM.
    "If you want something doing, ask a man. If you want something done correctly, ask a woman"

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Oh hardy hah!
    Is this a Rumanian folk song?

I started researching my family as a present for my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary....well and truly hooked now!!!! Now I understand my roots and know some of the hard lives my ancestors had, I appreciate all the more what I have now.

Quote Originally Posted by fillandclaire View Post
    I started researching my family as a present for my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary....well and truly hooked now!!!! Now I understand my roots and know some of the hard lives my ancestors had, I appreciate all the more what I have now.
    A fascinating,but often laborious pastime! I've given mine up for a year, or so,till I get the "bug" again!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast