Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Genealogy-Who is into it?

Gnomie

Default Genealogy-Who is into it?

Ive been doing mine for 4 years, very interesting and addictive

some sad finds along the way, some funny too. great finding out what your history is.

Any members looking at theirs?

yes I'm well into it. I'm doing quite well on mine.
    been in touch with a few distant cousins.
    Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    Ive been doing mine for 4 years, very interesting and addictive

some sad finds along the way, some funny too. great finding out what your history is.

Any members looking at theirs?
    I've been doing mine for 24 years.

When I started it was all about trips to London and Microfilm readers, detective work and waiting for the postman to come with the latest certificate.

Now its all about the internet and instant results.

I helped a friend get started with how to trace her tree last month. She got back to me recently and said she had got in touch with someone on Genesreunited who had 'done the tree back to 17something' so she didn't need to do much more!

I do like using the internet but I'm glad I did it the hard way as well.

I really recommend genesreunited and thegenealogist.co.uk.

Furthest back so far is 1729.

Mike

Default Family Tree

Been doing mine for about 15 years off and on. It's a fascinating hobby which I would recommend to anyone. I like finding living relatives however distant. The internet has been a boon to genealogy over the last 10 years. My main tip is to keep the same email address. It's surprising how many contact me years after I've left a message on some genealogy forum etc

I've been pretty hopeless at it to be honest but then a knight in shining armour helped me out greatly to the point i'm getting well into it and saw one of my uncles who's in his 70s today to show him where I was up to and to ask him some searching questions. Thanks again if you're looking in
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Done a bit of mine. Can be a bit exasperating though....It is definitely rewarding when you finally get a result. Got back to 1821 on one side...I hate it though when you get on some of those sites that show a ££ sign Suppose they have to make their money...
    It is Accomplished

Started doing mine a few years ago but got very frustrated!! With Welsh ancestry, and names such as Davies, Jones, Hughes, and Roberts, I seemed to be going around in circles!! only got as far as grandparents!

Quote Originally Posted by Norm NZ View Post
    Started doing mine a few years ago but got very frustrated!! With Welsh ancestry, and names such as Davies, Jones, Hughes, and Roberts, I seemed to be going around in circles!! only got as far as grandparents!
    oh tell me about it. I was a Roberts and wasn't getting far until a distant Welsh cousin contacted me through Genes reunited. He'd done quite a bit of the Welsh side, couldn't believe my luck. also turns out one side of his Scottish roots are distantly related to the Body Shop Roddicks!

he even sent me a photo of our shared gtgtgt taid's grave in Anglesey.

other family surnames are also more common than expected, Sealby, Gatcliffe and even Devereux. and the transcribers for the online services often misspell them, making them harder to look up.

still it's been fascinating and quite spooky some of the coincidences thrown up. I've lived near several places my forebears did and didn't even know.
    Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

Have been doing mine for years, only wished I had started when all my Grand parents where alive to answer all the questions. Its something that can take over your life but its so exciting when you get the answers and can put a picture to a face and name.
    Maybe we can start a social/interest group on this and swap sites and good places to do research?
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

Gnomie

Hey its cool to see so many researching

My Nan was a Hughes, her dad was a Hugh Hughes who married her mum who's maiden was Hughes, so i got confused still i found them

I have found a few relatives by doing it. and hit many a brick wall but its a great pastime.

as well as family members i even found yo members ancestors as neighbours In 1881 two of my families are living either side of Ged's from this forum, our lot have been waffling on for years

Talk to old rellies, they know lots.

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by sweetcheeks View Post
    Maybe we can start a social/interest group on this and swap sites and good places to do research?
    great idea

been doing my family tree for a few years now, started with the irish side which took some doing as a lot of records were lost in the 1920`s, also threw up some interesting facts, which sort of stopped me researching much further. started researching my english side which led me here to this forum, which was very helpful
    i think its nice to know where you came from, also the history of relatives gives you an insight into the history of the time, how they lived, what they did, also a lot of facts you discover shows things really havent changed that much in the day to day life of us all.
    in fact some of my relatives could probably give todays soap writers a run for thier money

Ontario Canada, 40 Miles north of Toronto ,thank goodness.

I have been researching my family history for over 25 years and have learned a lot of Liverpool history along the way. I used to mail over ten letters a week from Canada to the UK in order to get contacts and information, the advent of e-mail has made those methods obsolete. My Liverpool roots spread all over the UK, Cornwall, Chesire, Herefordshire, Durham, Ireland, Scotland and Wales.. I left Liverpool in 1952 and little has changed in my old neighbourhood, Waterloo/Crosby .
    Dave D.

Gnomie

BE AWARE

Potentially Fraudulent Sites Posing as Genealogy Websites
    Writing in the Ancestry.com blog, Mike Ward is warning other genealogists of fraudulent web sites posing as genealogy sites. These sites take your credit card information and provide little in return.

Mike writes:

We have recently become aware of three websites purporting to allow family history research: SearchYourGenealogy.com, Ancestry-search.com and Australian-Ancestry.com. The sites claim to have “the largest online genealogical search tool” and promote themselves as the foremost resources for genealogy, but from what we can tell, these sites are nothing more than a series of web pages with links to other services. These sites, in our opinion, are clearly fraudulent.

On each site, potential customers are lured to purchase under what we feel to be false, misleading and deceitful promotional material, and get little or no value out of money spent at the websites. Blog and message board posts from the community confirm this opinion.
    http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online...ially-fra.html

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    Hey its cool to see so many researching

My Nan was a Hughes, her dad was a Hugh Hughes who married her mum who's maiden was Hughes, so i got confused still i found them

Ditto here Gnomie - my Nan was a Hughes as well . Traced my Grandfathers family back to the Isle of Man to 1820
    It is Accomplished

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast