The Empire Theatre that we all now know, on Lime Street in Liverpool, opened on the 9th March 1925, with the opening production of 'Better Days', starring Stanley Lupino, Maisie Gay and Ruth French.
Prior to the building of the present day Empire, another theatre once stood on the site, The New Prince of Wales Theatre and Opera House which opened on the 15th October 1866. It was, at the time, Liverpool’s largest theatre, but it was only about three-quarters of the size of the existing Empire. On July 29th 1867 its name changed to the Royal Alexandra Theatre and Opera House to honour the Princess of Wales.
The New Prince of Wales Theatre and Opera House Lime Street LiverpoolRead More....