Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fazakerley.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    There is a reunion of ex residents of Fazakerley cottage homes this coming saturday between 2pm and 10pm at the Acorn centre, Longmoor Lane, Fazakerley.
    I'd be very interested to contact any residents from the 1930's. My late father was Vivian Potts (may have been known as John Potts) and I think he was a resident of Cottage No7 (?), admitted in 1937. He had a 'hare lip' (possibly surgically repaired by that time). We think he went on to the 'Working Boys home' in Shaw Street afterwards. Anyone remember him?
    Any information (or guidance as to which forum may be more appropriate) is really appreciated.
    Many Thanks,
    Martin Potts.

The Cottage Homes Society are holding their annual get together at the homes, now known as New Hall from noon on Saturday 25th June 2011.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default Cottage Homes Baths

Quote Originally Posted by phredd View Post
    Thanks for that Ged mate.
    Funnily enough I never learned to swim there. The place I learnt to swim was just across the fields, down the lane??, in the L & L Canal from the old swing bridge.
    Phredd
    I learned to swim in the Cottage Homes baths. I also took lessons, passed the life-saving exam there and was awarded a bronze medallion. I used this experience later on in my life to brush up on the life-saving techniques and became a voluntary lifeguard at Stoke Mandeville Hospital, Aylesbury for a few years.

I also used to swim, with a lot of other lads, in the canal by the swing bridge. When a dead dog or cat came floating along we all got out, let it past, then jumped in again and carried on swimming.

Regarding the history of the Cottage homes. I am an ex-resident and I am writing a book on the history of the Homes. We were generally known as "The Cotty Homers" and those from outside the home were referred to as "The Outsiders". If anyone, Cotty Homer or Outsider, has a story to tell either reply here or email me at eddie@schleising.net.

Incidentally, the Fazakerley Cottage Homes was not built as a "Nut House" as has been stated in a previous post. It was built in 1888 to house pauper children, children whose parents could not afford to keep them, quite often people committed to the workhouses, and orphans. By the end of the first world war, the Homes had become a place to house children orphaned by war and any who were unfortunate enough to fit into the previous categories, along with abandoned children. Some children, during my time in the 1940's to 1950's were abandoned because they didn't meet the requirements of their parents. This could be because they were less able to cope with the world, had learning difficulties and/or had physical difficulties. In those days the welfare state did not provide allowances for such children to be kept at home, so life was more difficult for parents who could not find work. Fazakerley Cottage Homes was never a "Nut-house".

The next Reunion for Fazakerley Cottage Homes (Liverpool) Association, which has a membership of over 300, is to be held on Saturday, June 16th, starting at 12:00 noon and ending at 8:00 pm. Both ex-residents and outsiders are welcome.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123